OLTL: Shane/Jack spoilers from TV Guide

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah they were under RC and Valentini.

You're right, this does go further, and has some potential. It's just tough for me to invest because the show has praised Todd's bullying for years and Jack has been written as fun and cool for idolizing Todd. Only now is Jack being written as a bully and so far I haven't heard any indication that Todd will get any blame or focus.

• Members

????

Please. This is fiction, and bad fiction at that.

Forgive me if I don't think the team that brought us "The Bag-a-Blood Comedy Hour" last year is capable of telling a full, complete, well-written story about the dangers of teenage bullying and the very real issue of teenage suicide.

They're going to f!ck it up like they do everything else.

• Members

TV Guide Magazine: A lot of the bullying that's made the news lately has been gay-related. Did you purposely avoid going there?

Carlivati: It seemed more important that we not tell a gay story, though that's not to say that certain kinds of gay slurs won't come up as the story progresses. It's important to say that kids can be targeted by bullies for any number of reasons. Shane is artistic, he's into comic books, he has asthma, which keeps him on the sidelines during gym, and he's a sensitive kid. He's been targeted just for being different. And it becomes a group thing. Once the other kids start piling on it doesn't really matter what the reason is because he's become a target. He's somebody they can get to. It becomes a herd mentality. This has been a real challenge to write because Austin is such a great actor and makes it all so heartbreaking to watch. I feel mean putting poor little Shane through so much pain. I can't imagine there's anyone in our audience who doesn't feel for him. It's tough stuff, but it's important to get the word out.

Shane is gay..and Jack knows it. Jack is a closeted gay teen. After all is said and done....Todd finds out his son is gay and in love with Shane......watch it happen!!......

• Members

"Shane is gay..and Jack knows it. Jack is a closeted gay teen. After all is said and done....Todd finds out his son is gay and in love with Shane......watch it happen!!......"

That would certainly be an interesting development (especially considering what people used to say about little Jack), but...

"Do you actually think that Ron would stop doing a gay type of storyline??"

I think he could be stopped. At least if I'm to believe what we've been told. After the whole Kish debacle, I just assumed they wouldn't be easing on down the yellow brick road again any time in the near future. I'm assuming anything gay-related won't be front burner, more like a quirky gay player sidekick or something.

Archived