OLTL: Discussion for the week of December 27

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yes it has. Her return has been the worst in recent OLTL history, simply bc theres been NOTHING good about it. She has chemistry with no one. She came back floundering for weeks to no story. She finall got one which was boring and dragged out. She is worse than she was when she was originally on the show. The character seems very unnecesary. GT's return as Kelly has been one big epic FAIL

• Members

Okay...:rolleyes:

Just gotta add, Dena Higley did not know the character of Kelly AT ALL and turned her into something she wasn't, so I realize people cannot appreciate this character this time around if they really didn't know her previously. I don't think the character is an epic fail (a term that is completely over used).

• Members

They aren't mutually exclusive propositions. I'd get rid of the Fords too and a gaggle of other characters as well.

Kelly is a pointless character. She fits no gaps in the canvas. She's not really a vixen, or a heroine or a bff or anything. It's so bad they had to bring three new characters on and build something around her because she doesn't fit anywhere within the existing spectrum of characters. Gina is a great actress. I hated Kelly in every iteration. She's just never worked IMO, and that's not because of who portrayed her IMO. I dreaded GT being recast as Dinah on GL because I thought Wendy Moniz was irreplaceable. But Gina sold me on her Dinah and I loved her in that role, which is a true testamonial to her talent.

Dena Higley didn't know or care about the characters and their histories and that wasn't confined to Kelly. But I hated Kelly under all the prior headwriters, and she hasn't improved with age. In fact, there's something worse about reverting back to the old Kelly with all her quirks and flaws after 10 years or more when she should have grown somewhat. They've washed away her entire history with Kevin. And I think they made a huge mistake bringing Kelly back without Joey and Kevin. They should have waited. Because all she's done while they set that up is horn in on other people's stories and be an annoyance. It did her character no favors.

• Members

you are under the impression that people commenting on her didnt know her previously. FYI, I watched and loved GT's original run. Kelly of today sucks in comparison to Kelly of the 90s when she originally played her.

I dont see what Higley adds to this conversation as this has nothing to do with her. Its all about Carvilati and his current take on Kelly as well as GT's potrayal. Higley isnt to blame for people not warming up to the current Kelly. If anything the fact that Kelly sucked so bad under Higley, made my expectations for GT even higher bc I thought she could make the character fun and exciting again as she once was. Too bad that hasnt happened

• Members

I tuned out during HT's run so I can't comment on her take.

However, GT's 90s Kelly was the only Cramer girl I ever really found appealing so I looked forward to her return. I expected an older, more mature yet warm Kelly. Instead GT came back delivering a frigid, cold, very hard woman. It was very jarring and off-putting. She's lacked chemistry with all her co-stars. Even her once sparkling chem with Kassie and Robin was gone as their bickering scenes fall flat. I think GT has struggled mightily. To her credit GT acknowledged the Melinda story was a mess and she needed more time to find her footing. However, putting her with Rex was a mistake b/c I think it gave RC and GT the idea to regress Kelly to comedic silliness to match JPL's immature Rex.

I found your post was insightful because you nailed it, it really IS an impersonation. RC and GT don't seem to know who adult Kelly should be so they are delivering this bizarre impersonation of 1995 Kelly. I recognize the same silly school girl antics as she chases a Joey who loves another. I was amused then but now I cringe in embarrassment at this grown woman and mother reduced to such sophomore behavior. Joey is playing way younger and sillier too to feed into this bizarre impersonation of original Joey and Kelly. TG is trying. GT is trying. But it's not 1995. These two characters have grown and changed drastically. The story and the acting should reflect them as adults.

In Kelly's case, continuing to ignore the son she desperately wanted, Zane, in favor of staying to moon over Joey over XMAS did the character no favors. Kelly's natural story is the reveal to Zane that Kevin isn't his real father. It's the story begging to be told for an ADULT Kelly to face her biggest mistake head on and honestly. Joey being a strong, supportive shoulder for her while she struggles with Zane and this reveal would make a good re-bonding story for them.

But don't give me this silly 95 remake of Kelly and Joey which is truly cringe-worthy to sit through.

Archived