Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thinking back to the character of Dr Joshua Landers, one time hubby to Nikki.

In casting and writing that role, they seemed to go with the blandest actor and character possible.

There was not much chemistry between Josh and Nikki and not much storyline, except for the crazy wife.

Josh wasn't given any backstory or relatives. He was just there to be Nikki's husband and as source of conflict with Victor. Did Jack have much to do with Nikki and Josh?

They didn't delve into Joshua's psyche and explore his attraction to her or his feelings about Victor.

Why was Nikki attracted to Joshua? Did she deliberately choose someone the antithesis of Victor?

Imagine if Joshua was a stronger character who went up against Victor or insisted Nikki have nothing to do with him. Maybe his medical background be brought in-a patient accuses him of inappropriate behaviour and Victor funds her legal action.

There should have been years of story for this marriage.

But it seems Joshua was a plot device and they didn't want an actor or character that might successfully overshadow Jack or especially Victor.

• Members

Dr. Josh was Nikki's rebound from Victor disappointing her (remember Nikki thought she and Victor were about to reunite, then Victor went to Kansas to be with Hope and Adam in the aftermath of Cliff's death). Also a plot device to keep Nikki and Victor apart.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Nikki marrying Josh was pretty random, especially since it happened not long after Nikki’s ill-fated marriage to Brad and as @kalbir mentioned it occurred at a point where Victor and Nikki were to reconcile before Victor left to look after Hope in the wake of Cliff’s death. 

I don’t recall there being much animosity between Victor and Josh at all other than Josh occasionally annoyed that Victor could show up at the ranch anytime and Victor questioning Josh about Veronica and giving Josh the usual “Don’t hurt her” warning. Josh had been the doctor to save baby Noah so I think there was mutual respect. 

Heath Kizzier was a part of a trio of bland leading men hired for prominent new characters in 1996 along with Leigh McCloskey (who was very boring in Dallas) and Granville Van Dusen. I’m not sure what was going on with the casting department at the time but they made some odd choices. I know the writing wasn’t the strongest at the time but none the three showed any charisma nor were dynamic at all to make any lasting impressions. 

I mean was anyone at all interested in the Ashley/Kurt/Hope triangle? I did feel bad for Hope who’s exit was her furious that Victor had married Diane.

Jack and Nikki had zero reason to interact at by 1997 so I don’t think Josh and Jack had much interaction aside from being acquainted with each other. I recall Jack and Jill were teased in the fall of 97 when things weren’t going too smooth with Keith anymore for Jill. 

• Members

LOL so true @kalbir. Now I do remember enjoying the Olivia vs. Nathan drama and Nate’s kidnapping at the time as well although it retrospect was a pretty irresponsible way for Nathan’s character to end. Still both Rowell and especially TLW should have won the Emmy. 

1996 was an off year for all the CBS soaps. Y&R was wildly uneven, B&B was a mess (Brooke and the dolls?), ATWT imploded in a blaze like of glory, and GL’s storylines inspired righteous indignation. Thankfully at least 3 of the 4 fared much much better in 1997.