Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Bill fell in love with Grambo, "redeemed" him & made Julia his second glorified prop (Nikki being the first).

Awhile.

After their divorce & her eventual return they were basically even.

He confided in her second only to Douglas.

Not initially.

Toward the end of her second run it was implied she still had some feelings for him but not anything serious.

Alden's Victor Prop Parade was a debacle. EVERY LAST WOMAN went under the bus for him.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thanks.

I was watching those clips a few days ago of Julia helping Victor fake his death and Eve/Nikki/Julia having all these screamouts. What did you think of that stuff?

I like Meg Bennett's work as Julia. She conveys a real intelligence. I'd go as far as to say she was the start of a certain type of Y&R lady that hadn't been shown before, one who flourished through the 80's - I guess that's not entirely true, as she also reminds me a little of Janice Lynde, but Leslie was never in the corporate world, the way Julia, or later, Ashley were.

I was also watching a little of the Vanessa murder clips and Jaime Lyn Bauer was so OTT in some of that. It was kind of jarring. Yet it also reminds me of Melody Thomas Scott, for some reason. Maybe that's why some said Nikki essentially replaced Lorie.

• Members

It was good mix of camp/darkness

Margaret Mason was a lot like Kate Collins Janet from Another Planet & made a fun foil for Grambo (who was still fairly dark).

Meg Bennett is LOVE.

Her growth was consistently interesting (until Alden regressed her for Grambo).

By that point Jamie had gone from realistic to ACTRESS.

Lorie went from relatable & genuinely sexy to LOUD & desperate.

MTS was actually the exact opposite.

She was more like Ilene Kristen's Delia than Kelli Maroney's Kim.

And Nikki didn't replace Lorie so much as Jill did.

Edited by DeeeDee

• Members

Deedee, would you say that Eve was Y&R's original Sheila. She just seemed like she was portrayed as a total nutjob, going after Julia with the knife and causing trouble for victor/Nikki. It's amazing how much different she was 10 yrs later where she came back with Cole. It's interesting that Y&R has had a lot of psychotic female characters on the show and people would probably say that Sheila was the ultimate bad girl on the soap. I wonder if any other woman could have surpassed Sheila in terms of Y&R's most psychotic woman.

Edited by yr9190

• Members

It seems like until recent years the show didn't have a lot of psycho female characters. There were women who calculated and schemed, and caused chaos, like Suzanne (or Katharine, or Jill, or Phyllis), but for a long time the only crazy women were Eve and then Sheila. Generally Bell seemed to put men in that role (Shawn, Derek, Michael, David).

• Members

Deborah's Jill was interesting.

Her Jill is the bridge between Brenda's original Jill & Jess current Jill (with Brenda's Alexis Jill an aberration).

After Lorie left Jill became Y&R's female lead (with Nikki.not far behind)

It wasn't until Brenda left (the second time) though that Nikki really became Y&R's primary lead.

Her first exit was after she & Michael escaped the dungeon.

Her second exit came after she had the baby.

No.

Eve was crazy but her crazy was funny.

Sheila was never about (or played for) humor.

• Members

Was Eve's more funny crazy when she dressed as a caterer at Victor and Nikki's first wedding. I don't think those scenes are on youtube anymore, but it was funny when she was so desperate to poison Nikki that she stalked her the whole wedding and made Brenda's Jill hold the tray of liquor. And of course when she was about to kill Nikki and Casey knocked her over with the door.

I probably should know this but what was the aftermath of the whole thing, did Victor and Nikki find out that Eve was there the whole time or did the writers just drop that?

I agree Sheila never played for humor, but i have to wonder if a few of the things she did was more "Dark Humor" Like shooting up the tv at the farmhouse. I think sadly after her last few returns and especially Pheila that is when she became too cartoonish.

Edited by yr9190

• Members

Don't forget about Lisa Mansfield!

I didn't know Marc was the father of Julia's daughter I thought the father was Eric Garrison.

By the way, what did you guys think of Kevin's parents? I know Alison later went bersek herself, but didn't Earl and Katherine share some secret past?

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

I keep forgetting Julia left once in the early 80's then returned. I meant her first exit as the one where she was gone for 15 or more years until that cameo in 2002.

You may be right about Eric being the father. I can never remember who is Eric and who is Marc in that story.

• Members

Thanks I've seen a 1982 episode in which Alison walks in Katherine and Earl being somewhat affectionate with each other as they reminisced and Alison being very appalled. It didn't help that Katherine was friendly with Nikki who I believe Alison never cared for. I think I labeled her as much due to the fact she later kidnapped Victoria.

That's an interesting thought about Deborah Adair being a bridge between Dickson and Walton. One thing that interests me from the Adair era is Jill falling head over heels for...Andy of all people. I'd have to believe comparing that story to the Jill stories as the decade progressed is like comparing apples and oranges. With Adair's Jill was it believable enough for Jill go for Andy? I've often heard there was a major characterization shift there in '80 and again in '83 when Dickson returned. Are the clips of Adair's Jill chiding Katherine for telling John about their past rivalry still on Youtube? If you guys have seen them, what did you think?