Gay Story on Santa Barbara

Saving ATWT

• Members

Recently read a brief remark that Santa Barbara ran a gay story when it was learned Channing Capwell, Jr. had had a gay affair before his death. I'm to young to have watched the show but am curious if anyone remembers anything about this? I've always thought Marland was the first soap writer to portray a gay character with Hank on ATWT. From what I read, this actually occured many years earlier and was penned by either the Dobsons or Pratt. I ever watched Santa Barbara but the murder premise sounds a lot like Twin Peaks.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're not imagining things. We were led to believe Channing was carrying on an affair with a law student named Lindsay Smith while involved with Santana... only Lindsay wasn't female. It was a shock and a pretty daring story for the Dobsons to pull off, but the affair was never shown on camera. The murder story was really good at the start and at the end; it kind of dragged in the middle but the payoff was spectacular. (SPOILER ALERT!!) Sophia intended to shoot Lionel but instead turned around in the swivel chair and fired the gun before she realized she'd killed her own son.

If you see these episodes on YouTube, watch the acting. It was first rate.

Archived