DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

I suppose it is only one of a number of anachronisms that exist in soaps. Sometimes I think we should compile a list of the bonehead things that NBC pushed on their soaps. It would range from something as insignificant as this to something as huge as insisting on AW that Jake must rape Marley. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It honestly wouldn't surprise me considering how hard they tried to establish the Brady's in the 80s and it's a classic soap tactic to try and insert new characters in old characters history. I guess it's a fairly small window where that sort of anecdote could've been established (1982-84) so if someone would want to verify it and happens to have a collection of those episodes they could go ahead with it lol.

• Members

I looked at Sandy's (very brief) wiki page and it does say she and Marlena witnessed Roman "killing" a hooker during Andre's serial killer spree.  So, it does seem that Sandy did interact with Roman and that's probably when I heard that.  Unfortunately, I haven't seen those episodes in years and have no idea where to find them.  It doesn't even seem like Sandy got an actual exit.

• Members

One thing I like about Facebook is Facebook Memories. Today it showed me that I posted this on 2-22-22: 

I'm almost afraid to say it for fear of jinxing it, but I think I feel a little bit better. I watched DOOL Mon. & Tues. Not today because of acupunture. I have a new standard for watching. As long as nothing offends me during the episode then it was a good day. I believe in putting the bar down wa-a-a-ay low. I After that I referred to it as my Low Bar Policy. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

https://michaelfairmantv.com/days-of-our-lives-susan-seaforth-hayes-interview-horton-house-fire-storyline-mourning-husband-bill-hayes/2024/02/26/

You shared so many scenes with Frances Reid (Alice) and MacDonald Carey (Tom) in the Horton living room set and up till they passed. Did they get along well with Bill? Looking back, how was your relationship with them?

SUSAN: They loved him. Well, Mac and Billy had worked together before in theater. Mac was very kind to me at the beginning and helpful. Frances was as well. As Frances got older, she got a bit testy. When someone says, “You’re not going to read the line like that … are you?” It catches your attention. (Laughs). I got peeved at Frances from time to time, but her intent was always to make everything as good as it possibly could be. I saw her come back from her stroke. learn to talk again, learn to do it all again. Not do it easily, but to do it at all was wonderful, and the same with Mac. In his last shows, he was very frail, but we’re actors. We liked being there.

• Members

In their autobiography Bill talks about his first few days at the studio & every day Mac was introducing him to more & more people. I think that Mac was the only one he knew from before. Bill was very open about his only hearing bad things about soap opera acting & how pleasantly surprised he was to find amazing calibre acting from just everyone. Such a good book. 

In the special episode that aired last Wednesday, Julie gave Leo (Greg Rikaart) the family tree history of the Hortons for his story in the Spectactor.

SUSAN:  I’ve had a couple of good long soliloquies about the past. I’m fated to be the character that does that because I’m the one still standing. I must say, I do enjoy doing them. Emotionally, all I have to do is rerun some of the actors and my own family in my mind and the emotion starts to come, you know, the emotion starts to flow.

Julie talks to Maggie (Suzanne Rogers) immediately after the fire. She is upset that the Horton family Christmas ornaments are gone. Fans were not happy that they could possibly have burned up. Thank God! There was a happy ending when they were located and unscathed, or there would have been hell to pay! 

SUSAN: I knew that they were in the prop room and that they still existed. But how much they were going to put a story around their loss, I did not know. We don’t get to ponder the plot. We just get to show up and start doing it. I think on this particular matter, something as important as a structure of the original set of the show, there’s been quite a bit of interest. So, I can appreciate that.

Edited by Donna L. Bridges

• Members

Has the show even addressed with you how they plan to handle writing-off the character of Doug Williams, and how they want to honor Bill?

SUSAN: Only in the smallest way. I had a conference call with the producers and our head writer last Friday. I was informed about the immediate, immediate future. I’ve also been promised that they’re going to keep me busy. It’s a cast of over 40 people. I’ll be happy to show up and to be included.

• Members

I hope I'm not duplicating this. 

Maloney, M., & Bell, L. P. (2012). The Young and Restless Life 0f William J. Bell. Sourcebooks, Inc.

After a decade with Irna, Bill was ready for a new challenge. One arrived when Betty Corday, wife of the late Ted Corday, a former ATWT director & co-creator of Days of Our Lives, contacted Bill about taking over the head writing duties at Days of Our Lives.

The NBC serial, which featured the beloved Horton clan, had been struggling in the ratings and was headed for cancellation. ...

"It was the moment of truth," recalled Bill, who talked Betty's offer over with Lee before accepting it. ... The fact that Days hadn't found its creative footing yet actually made the opportunity even more attractive.

Irna wasn't happy with Bill's choice. At the time, though, she privately thought that he would fail & the show would be canceled & he'd be back. However, what happened was very different & Bill & his mentor lost touch. She also thought that Bill was driven because Lee made more money than he did.

Bill never failed to honor the contributions Irna had made to his career. Later saying, "None of us do anything of consequence alone. Like Agnes Nixon, I, too, had that legend of all legends, Irna Phillips, who invested a lot of herself in me."

p. 42

Bill, in fact, viewed going to Days in a positive light. He was, after all, leaving Irna's employ to save a show that she, along with Ted Corday, had created.

And save it he did.

p.59

In 1966 Bill left Irna's employ & went to work for Betty Corday. Bill's history with the Cordays went way back. Ted was a director at ATWT. Betty worked in the Casting Dept. at ATWT. "Ted was a superb director whose unique rapport & sensitivity with actors is legendary," Bill said. "His ability to extract every ounce of drama & emotion from the written word was a writer's dream. Betty, partner to Ted, was an equally dedicated mother, as well as a writer and a producer & a very powerful force in her own right. Each was the ultimate complement to each other.

p.60

Betty asked Bill to save her husband's show in 1966. Irna & NBC execs asked Bill why he was risking the sure thing of working at top-rated ATWT to take on ratings-plagued Days, which was about to be canceled. "I knew there was a chance of that happening," Bill said, adding enigmatically, "but what better time to take over a show?"

First off, he made casting changes. Hired Susan Flannery. Hired Denise Alexander. Hired Susan Seaforth Hayes. Immediately, Julie's boyfriend David got her best friend Susan pregnant due to a mistaken drunken evening. They all decided David would marry Susan & divorce later after the baby was born. Things were not to go well at all for poor little baby Dickie. David was supposed to be watching him & he fell off the swing & broke his neck. So Susan temporarily lost her mind & killed David. So, now, Julie & Susan are no longer best friends.

Lee Philip Bell was Bill's inspiration for the character of Laura! "Not her experiences, but the person, the being," Bill revealed in 1973. "When Bill was in charge of the decision-making in casting, it was assumed that you were a good actress before you got there," Seaforth Hayes recalls. "This wasn't a training ground for neophytes." SSH tells about her audition, a confrontation between Julie Williams and Susan Martin. (Funny, you'd think that would be Julie Olson.) "It was a very trying & emotional scene which involved anger, threats & hysterics. Julie was trying to give Susan a heart attack. Instead, she brought about her own labor pains."

At DAYS Bill didn't have the power that Irna had with P&G. He had to submit his stories to NBC. He planned to tell the story of the two brothers, Bill & Mickey, both in love with Laura. NBC said, "No, not doing it." He replied, "Then, I want a signed release from you that you will never use this story on any other show on NBC." Bill's bold bluff worked & he got to do the story!

Lin Bolen, the NBC Daytime exec who was portrayed by Faye Dunaway in Network, wanted Bill to do a particular story. He thought it was wrong but he tried it & could not continue. "He told me that he would never do that again," Susan Flannery shared.

Bill wrote a key scene where Bill is at a bar playing the song "Laura" on the juke box. This was the theme song from the Gene Tierney movie also named "Laura". In it the words said, "Laura, she's only a dream." Bill was drunk & morose over the marriage between Laura & his brother Mickey. Laura, a doctor, was sleeping in the "on call" room at the hospital. Bill found her there & got her up. Sleepily, she listened as he told her about the song & that she is NOT a dream! Then, it happened. It was left to interpretation whether the sex was consensual. Bill Bell thought that it was.

(This directly disputes what we saw happen!)

Laura & Mickey were married. She became pregnan

• Members

Have we ever dissected Reilly’s appearance on Friends before LOL?? I only ask because as I was flipping through channels I saw the Friends episode where Reilly appeared for the first time in like 15 years where Ramoray dies lol.

I’m assuming that Emmy on JER’s desk is from his time at GL

Please register in order to view this content