DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

Her 2020 exit was no different than Kristian’s exit at the same time After that, Missy was no longer on contract and so she could choose when she would or wouldn’t work.

The racism accusation comes from her liking a post by Candace Owens, a conservative Black woman, on Instagram. No one mentions that Drake and Sweeney also follow Owens though. As a gay moderate I just roll my eyes and move along. Her personal beliefs don’t impact her portrayal of Jennifer. 

There was something I found problematic about Missy though and it’s rarely discussed. Back in 2011 when Matt returned, Missy was instructed to push the Jennifer/Daniel pairing which she did mainly on her Twitter account. This caused pushback from JnJ fans and she blocked a lot of them.

But time heals all wounds because by 2018 she was all in on Jack and Jennifer, so I’ve forgiven her.

While I’m on a roll, let’s talk Matt’s 2011 return. His initial rehiring occurred in April 2011 with Dena Higley as HW and Gary Tomlin as EP. Exactly one week later they were fired and replaced by MarDar and Noel Maxam. Matt’s return was then pushed back to September to coincide with the other big returns (Jarlena, Caustin). The writing was not in Jack’s favour which was most evident in that year’s Christmas episode when Daniel and Melanie shot death stares at Jack when he hung his ornament on the tree.

After exiting the show, Marlene said in a tweet that some of the returns were not their choice (likely meaning Jack). That would explain why the writing was initially slanted in favour of Dannifer.

I am curious about what Higley and Tomlin planned to do with Jack. When his return was announced in April 2011 it was never mentioned if it was full time or short term. Rumours abound that it was going to be short term and end with Jack committing suicide. Based on what Tomlin would later do to Jack I believe it. However, I have no idea if it’s true or not.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I didn't know that about Jack's 2011 return. It's interesting that Higley & Tomlin were planning to bring him in, because as soon as TomSell took over, they axed Jack to get back to Jennifer/Daniel. So maybe that lends credence to Jack having been intended for a short-term stint.

• Members

It's not a question of whether someone on recurring gets to choose to accept work or not. However, if they choose not to work then the show has to be held blameless in recasting with someone who is more available to work. 

About Matt Ashford I honestly do not know what in the heck was going with some of the truly terrible writing he got for Jack. But, if you ask me, more than once, the writing for the character was abusive to the character, the actor & the fans! Also to character integrity & show history!

• Members

But, there is no reason for the show to temporarily kill off a character when they want that character onscreen & a good recast is possible. In this case not only was the recast good but was also an Emmy-winning actress. Obviously the show made the right decision. And, now I suggest we can take this no further. We just disagree, which is fine. Both of our opinions are valid. 

• Members

I definitely don’t agree. If the show can’t get the proper actor, don’t use the character. It’s just that simple. It’s the actor who makes the character, not the writing. That’s why you can’t just plug someone like Haiduk into a role like Susan Delilah Banks. It was Eileen’s performance that made the role.

Also, McClain was not “good”. You just liked her on her East Coast soaps. Whatever character McClain was playing, it certainly wasn’t Jennifer Rose Deveraux. 

No the show did not make the right decision. If the recast were universally beloved, she’d be on contract and front burner. She simply pinch hits for Missy whenever Missy’s unavailable. Note that the show brought back Missy as soon as they could. Ditto with Eileen. 

• Members

I said "Agree to disagree." several volleys back. I know we don't agree on it. Been there. 

It's not just the actor who makes a character, nor is it just the writing. It is a combination of things, including both the writing & the actor. And, it is simple. For example end days GL Wheeler waited & waited wanting Peter Simon for Ed when she should have recast & told her story correctly & timely. It is not a question of THE proper actor but A proper actor. Soaps effectively do recasts. Always have, always will. Cady & Stacy are both examples of excellent actors who are capable. Subjective opinions that one does not like so-and-so are just that, differences of opinion, but that doesn't negate the actor being excellent, capable, etc. 

I'll just point out that she has been wildly popular & is a multiple Emmy winner. A great many DAYS fans buy her as Jennifer Rose. It really has nothing to do with my being a fan of hers. 

I do not find either of these statements to be true. 

Now, enough. This is boring and repetitive. At any rate I'm done. 

• Members

Jennifer fans, the ones who matter, don’t buy her as Jennifer and never will. She is liked by Missy haters plain and simple. 

The two statements you don’t think are true are objective facts. 

• Members

I'm an actual Jennifer Rose Horton Deveraux fan myself & I enjoy Cady in the role. And, I've been around plenty. Of course, you probably think I'm a hater. I am completely against having Missy back on the show but I do not hate her. Basically you're talking about people who did not give the recast a chance. There's not a problem with the acting. Their problem is that she's not Missy. They/You likely would not accept anyone as a recast. 

• Members

I will say this though: I liked Stephanie Cameron as Jennifer. She had the right look and was able to capture the essence of Jennifer. McClain’s portrayal is too cold, aloof, and bitchy. 

I don’t believe in recasting unless the actor is terrible and that’s all it comes down to. This isn’t a novel. It’s a visual medium. People watch for the performances. It’s Missy who makes Jennifer come to life. As we’ve seen, the recast Jennifer is an entirely different character. Jennifer in name only. They should have just cast McClain in a new role.

• Members

I can count on two hands the number of recasts I’ve actually liked:

Heather Lindell

Austin Peck

Lauren Koslow 

Farah Fath

Judi Evans

Jay Kenneth Johnson 

BTW, I don’t just dislike Haiduk. Brynn Thayer was also terrible as Susan Banks. So terrible that they didn’t even show her face onscreen. 

EDIT: Peck and Koslow are the only recasts I like equally with their originators. The role of Kate wore out her welcome about twenty years ago and now I can’t stand her.