DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Been watching some old Don and Marlena clips lately including the ones where Don “raped” her. 

In the scene, Don grabs Marlena, throws her on the bed and kisses her. He then realizes what he’s doing and lets her go. Marlena then proceeds to grab him and pull him back on top of her. Subsequent scenes between the two of them show that it was not considered rape by anyone and even the Tune in Tomorrow synopses describe it as a one night stand. 

I think that nowadays it would cause a pretty serious debate as to whether it was rape or not.

• Members

I just watched that scene and it is disturbing.  When she slaps him and he lifts his arm to hit her back and Marlena flinches expecting Don to hit her.  And then Don throws her on the bed.  Yuck.

I don't know if I consider it rape.  Marlena does respond back and I think Don would have stopped had she told him to.  The whole scene is just so dysfunctional and toxic.  And it clearly was something Marlena almost immediately regretted.  I don't know.  It definitely can be debated and it turned my off to that pairing forever.

I watched through the Kellam rape and I was shocked how good Deidre Hall was.  So free of the tics and gasping and moaning she does now.  She was just great in that story.

• Members

I would assume there were plans to eventually reunite Don/Marlena?  Until the whole Roman stuff took off.  Don was hanging around Marlena through most of the Salem Strangler stuff, but I always thought Don was a horrible husband and they shouldn't reunite.  Don is a character that doesn't hold up very well overtime with his sexist, condescending ideas about women.  And that scene is just very uncomfortable. 

There is a pretty famous John/Marlena scene from the early 2000's where John carries Marlena against her will like a caveman through Salem Place!! and then seduces her basically against her will that I have always hated too and it was considered sexy.  Gross.

Also, neither here nor there, but why was Josh Fallon always around Marlena during both the rape and some of the Strangler stuff.  Was the show testing them as a couple?  It definitely seems that way, but I have never really heard anything to back that up.  Josh just seems very invested in Marlena at the time.

• Members

I hated little Johnny.  He had awful taste.  He wanted Kellam to be his dad too.

There were a few scenes of Josh/Don sparring over Marlena and other characters mentioning them "dating".  How random.  I can't say I am disappointed that didn't work out, although at least Marlena was in Josh's age range.  Unlike Jessica lol.  I wonder what a pairing between the two would have looked like.  Not exciting from what I can tell...

• Members

My sense with Joshua Fallon was the the show was trying really hard to position him as the new leading man, so they played him heavily with their most popular stars. He also got a fair amount of screen time with Julie, for rather contrived story reasons.

A lot of people here like him, but I found him very off-putting. (He was a fair sight better than the next guy in the role, however.)

• Members

That would make sense.  I kept wondering why he was around so much and why he was the first person to find Marlena after the rape.  I thought it meant something.

I don't know if I find him off-putting in these clips, which are Marlena-centric, but I find him out of place.  He just seems like a run of the mill, bland, soap hunk.

I wouldn't say there was great chemistry between Joshua and Marlena, but I thought he was very kind to her after the rape and a good friend.  I just kept thinking Marlena has a lot of other friends, so where are they? 

I don't understand why Jessica/Joshua were popular.  Jessica was lame.  At least they created an exciting son (until he was ruined).  On the show, did it say if Jessica/Josh were still together when Nick arrived?