YRBB

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's clear CBS made the right decision canceling ATWT when it had like 2.4 million in the end of its run. The Talk is a pleasure to watch. It's lighter then the View but all the ladies have great chemistry. The View is just awful it's painful to watch. Bring back Joy, Star Jones and Elisabeth Hasselback and Sherri Shepherd. I honestly think ABC should do two more seasons of the View which would bring it to season 20 and call it a day. 20 years is a very long run for television. Btw bring back Bill Geddie who was the creator of the show. Why put new exec producers in who are doing an awful job? They had to beg Barbara who is 85 and in retirement to do Friday episodes.

Edited by JONNYSBRO

• Members

Yes it does bug me that when soap fans come to boards and are happy that soaps got cancelled. Sorry even if I didnt watch a particular soap I would never be happy that they were canceled. Thousands are out of work and thousands and maybe millions of upcoming actors dont get to experience acting on them. For me that is a major loss.

Edited by John

• Members

The Talk was mostly a vanity project for Mrs. Moonves that probably wouldn't have lasted through retooling without her involvement. It's easy to praise the decision now, but mostly Moonves and P&G just wanted rid of soaps, which is why they canned GL for a game show they treat as a dirty little secret.

• Members

I don't even mind Sheryl Underwood. The Talk is a likeable show, it's light and enjoyable and the chemistry works. ATWT was always going to end, just as all the soaps will end, just as all shows will end, ATWT had it's run and P&G clearly wasn't invested in improving the show. The demos were bad and CBS made it's decision.

A vanity project for Julie Chen? Yeah, but it's worked out, so they're all laughing.

• Members

It did work out, I'm just talking about the start of the show, and how flip Moonves was about the whole thing, and the end of the P&G soaps. I don't really think the CBS Daytime lineup ever knows what it's doing. I would give Julie Chen or someone in production most of the credit for The Talk turning itself around and moving away from the boring "moms talking about their lives" topic, along with the awkward Leah Remini. Between Y&R's extended identity crisis doldrums and The Price is Right and Let's Make a Deal being rotting corpses, I tend to assume Moonves is content to let CBS Daytime flounder unless someone (like Brad Bell at B&B, or Chen at The Talk) does the work themselves.

• Members

I agree with this 100%. I think Moonves is quite hands off when it comes to CBS Daytime...and he lets Angelica McDaniel oversee things to the extent that she can, she seems to not have a lot of success against the strong or apathetic personalities at Y&R, TPIR and LMAD. B&B and The Talk have the huge benefit of having smart, experienced people totally invested in the success of the projects: Brad Bell has both personal and financial reasons for B&B to thrive and The Talk has the benefit of Chen, who is very focused on the show succeeding, John Redmann (who enjoyed huge success at Leeza! and The Rosie O'Donnell Show and dealt with Tyra Banks and Tony Danza's failed talk shows; he's seen the good and the bad in the industry), Sharon Osbourne, who promotes the heck out of the show everywhere she can and has very straightforward views on how a show succeeds.

None of the network daytime divisions have cohesion anymore. It isn't the 1990s where you had some real commitment to that daypart.

The View may be reaching the end of it's natural life cycle, the show is a chore to watch in comparison to The Talk and I don't think anyone is going to say it's Nicole Wallace or Rosie O'Donnell's fault...those two have gotten along really well.

Rosie Perez has been a disaster and it's an open secret that Whoopi has wanted out of the show for years now. But for her pay or play $5 million a year contract she wouldn't be there, but that kind of money has been hard for Whoopi to turn down, prior to The View her career was in Hollywood Siberia.

They should be begging Meghan McCain to join, moving O'Donnell to the moderator's chair, firing Perez, letting Whoopi leave at the end of her contract and finding, keeping Wallace and find another young woman with a solid education (like Star Jones and Lisa Ling did back in the day) to give the show some balance.

The current panel is too old and irrelevant to the daytime viewer. The Talk hosts are younger and even Sharon Osbourne, whose older than any of the current View ladies, seems far younger: she's more current and hip than anyone on The View panel.

If The View is to survive, and I'm not too sure that it should, it needs an overhaul.