As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

I know. I never even really knew they interacted, although I guess they had to, given Lucinda's loathing of her father. Such camp goodness. 

Lucinda was at her best as a messy, messy character who was all over the place pushing buttons - if I have little else good to say about the last year of ATWT, I'm glad they at least remembered that.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

If Lily was adopted by Lucinda and Martin Guest then why wasn't she known as Lily Guest?  Did James Walsh adopt Lily?  How many times was Lily illegally adopted?

BTW one of my soap pet peeves is when they give two characters the same first name and afterward everyone in town has to refer to them by their full name.  "How's James Walsh?  Where's James Stenbeck? I hate James Stenbeck.  What's for supper James Walsh?"

• Members

I agree. Since James Stenbeck was still appearing the writers should have differentiated it better.

As for Lily's last name. I bet the original idea was that Lucinda's maiden name was Walsh, which she kept during her marriage to Martin Guest. And when she adopted Lily and Guest died, she just gave Lily her name. That's what I think. But then Marland came in and built this whole story with Lucinda and the Walsh relatives (Connor and Evan) fighting her for control of her company.

Edited by JarrodMFiresofLove

• Members

I assumed that she changed her name from Mary Ellen Walters to Lucinda Guest when she was forced to leave Montega and married Martin Guest.  It seems more likely that she would change her first name once she was married rather than giving herself a new first and last name.  Luckily the Oakdale DMV had a liberal policy around name changes given the number of assumed identities, returns from the dead, and new faces applied by plastic surgery that happened in town.

• Members

I wanted to come up with a list of Marland creations. Please add ones I don't have, including recurring characters. Since I don't know what month Marland's material started in 85 and ended in 93 there may be errors on those years.

Doug Cummings
Iva Snyder
Emma Snyder
Holden Snyder
Marsha Talbot

Tonio Reyes
Beatrice McColl

Roy Franklin

Nella Franklin

Tad Channing
Dan McCloskey

Seth Snyder
Sabrina Hughes
Casey Peretti
Duncan McKechnie
Meg Snyder

Hensley Taggart

Corinne Lawrence

Monica Lawrence

Jessica Griffin
Christopher Hughes II
Bryant Montgomery
Josh Snyder (Rod Landry)
Pamela Wagner

Taylor Baldwin

Thornton Converse

Angel Lange Snyder
Henry Lange
Laura Simmons

Herb Petrie

Spence Davies

Adam Munson
Lilith McKechnie

Kirk Anderson
Adelaide Fitzgibbons
Lien Hughes
Derek Mason
Caleb Snyder
Ellie Snyder
Cal Stricklyn

Julie Wendell Snyder
Katie Peretti
Duke Kramer
Brock Lombard

Linc Lafferty
Sean Baxter

Courtney Baxter Dixon
Connor Walsh
Evan Walsh III
Darryl Crawford
Carolyn Crawford
Jennifer Munson
Gavin Kruger
Larry McDermott

Aaron Snyder
Carolyn Dana Crawford

Tess Shelby
L.J. McDermott
Casey Hughes
Hutch Hutchinson
Woody Hutchinson

Kira Johnson
Denise Jones

Debbie Simon
Ned Simon
Marcy Breen

Neal Keller Alcott
Edwina Walsh Cabot

Alexander Cabot
Rosanna Cabot
Scott Eldridge
Royce Keller

Elroy Nevins

Bonnie McKechnie

Mary Hopkins Campbell (Aunt Mary)

Matthew John "M.J." Dixon
Damian Grimaldi
Eduardo Grimaldi (Marland or Backus?)
Janice Maxwell (Marland or Backus?)
Will Munson (Marland or Backus?)

Dawn Wheeler (Marland or Backus?)

• Members

I don't think we ever got the specifics on why Lily was a "Walsh". IIRC, Lucy's Walsh marriage was short. She kept the name...perhaps she simply just changed Lily's name so that it was the same as hers.

You can't help but have some overlap in names. When they chose "James" Walsh for Mr Walsh, I don't think James Stenbeck was on the show. And Evan never went by James. 

It may have been overkill to have both of Dan Stewart's grandchildren named for him, although they were only ever in town briefly together ( and Daniel was rarely more than a lump on someone's arm). I found similar sounding names more bothersome. I remember at one time we had Kirk, Cal, Connor and Craig in town and Kirk, Cal and Connor were constantly conversing in corporate matters. Then there was the Graham(Royce's butler)/Gram (Emily's name for Ellen) when they were together, that even the writers made fun of. 

• Members

I didn't know they dated.

Ellen Dolan talked about how during the Carolyn Crawford murder saga she would have to talk about one character named "Bill" and another named "Billy" and the actors would lose track.

• Members

Now I'm blanking on the order of Lucinda's marriages.

I remember some interview Marland gave where he said he just loved the hard "k" sound. In addition to Kirk, Cal, Connor, Caleb there was Crawford, Kruger, Kramer (although I'm fuzzy on whether Duke's mother was actually on the show in the past), Cummings, McKechnie, Converse, Keller, Kasnoff, and probably others we've forgotten. (not to mention naming Carly). And the L thing, now that Jarrod brought it up. I think he said his staff had to ride heard on him at times.

I was unclear. Royce's butler didn't date Ellen. It just got confusing when Royce and Emily would have various conversations about their respective "Graham/Gram's".

• Members

Thanks. I am guessing Horgan didn't last long, squeezed in between Taggart/King and Marland.

Going back to the similar sounding names thing, I always thought Marland should have named Ellie Snyder something else. Though she never had scenes with Ellen Stewart it just sounded too similar, one letter difference. She could have been Kelly Snyder or Millie Snyder. There was no reason to nearly duplicate the first name of a long-time established character.

Also Cal and Caleb were practically the same name, and earlier in Marland's tenure he had written Cal Randolph. Plus Cal sounded like Hal.

• Members

She lasted about a year... she actually did a lot of the work rebuilding the show before Marland was hired on.  

She reunited Bob/Kim, bought back Chris/Nancy, bought back Frannie.. and started the Kevin/Frannie/marie Kovac story, plus helped start the Craig redemption by introducing Sierra and tying her to Lucinda, etc.  

• Members

If there was an odd name among Emma's children, it was Holden. Everyone else has an old fashioned/biblical name. Ellie's name was Eleanor and Meg was short for Margaret. 

Adding to the confusion was the actor's real names. There was Lisa, and Lisa Brown. Tom Wiggin and Tom Hughes. Scott Defrietas, Scott Bryce and Scott Eldredge. Ellen Dolan/Ellen Stewart .Andrew Kavovit playing Andy's best friend Paul. If twitter had been around then....Lord, what a mess...

• Members

Just to be clear I did not say Ellie was an odd name. I rather like it. And yes it was short for Eleanor but they never called her that. And as I stated, Ellie just sounded too close to Ellen. If Marland had introduced a character named Liza or Alisa I would be saying it's too close to Lisa. And yes I know people have similar sounding names in real life. But on a soap it can get a bit confusing. Fortunately Ellen and Ellie never had scenes together, to my knowledge.

I think Holden was Marland's tribute to William Holden.

So when was Marland's first episode credited as headwriter? I was thinking it was March 85. Or was it later? We know Taggart/King are still credited in early August 84. When did they leave and Horgan step in?

• Members

I know Shannon was pre-Marland as wasn't her initial start was she came to Oakdale after hearing of it from the stories Karen Haines had told her about it or something like that. 

I do know that Kasnoff's and Julie's kids, all introduced in 1994 were original creations from Marland's long term bible; at the least for the Kasnoff family their stories went in quite the opposite direction of what Marland had planned.