As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Yeah Taylor did not exactly set the screen on fire. I'd forgotten all about her until I watched an old episode on YouTube. Then I remembered how she tried to snatch Tom during one of the times he was separated from Margo. I think the problem with Taylor, and this also related to her as a third wheel in Casey & Lyla's relationship, is that she was nothing but a plot device. Marland didn't really explain her past or give us anything to make her seem like a real person. And since the actress was so bland, she quickly fizzled and was written out.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Someone else mentioned James Stenbeck. What about Dusty Donovan? He was introduced in February 1983 near the end of their run.

Plus they created Margo, introduced back in July 1980.

Me neither. He's been married twice. His first marriage occurred while he was on the show.

I think a lot of these guys were hired and given important roles because Marland had a fondness for certain types. And I wouldn't be surprised if Marland dated and lavished money on several of them who used him to get their careers going. But that doesn't mean they were actually gay. Marland also went out with female actresses on ATWT, for example he was very close to Lisa Brown. So who knows what really went on.

But Greg Watkins was also appearing in Miller beer commercials in the 90s and in my opinon came across more masculine than some of the other pretty boys on the show. Incidentally Watkins has only three acting credits on the IMDb after 1995 when his role ended on ATWT. One credit is a voice over, another one is a short film, and other one is a minor role on some series I never heard of before. He did stunt work on a few episodes of Heroes in the mid-2000s.

Edited by JarrodMFiresofLove

• Members

Evan and Carly interacted? No recollection of this whatsoever. 

It wasn't so much their characters that failed, it was story. James, Margo, Craig, Steve, Dusty, revitalizing Tom, Barbara and Betsy all impacted the show positively. (feel free to correct me, I'm a little fuzzy on the Dobson's exact tenure) It was their brand of story that didn't fit ATWT in the long run. Mr Big, Barbara's six month hallucinations about the 1700's---I STILL remember how hard I rolled my eyes at that as a preteen---Bilan----that crap was a huge axis shift away from what always distinguished ATWT as a family drama. Yes, it was in part the vogue thing to do, trying to copy GH's success, but like you said it was too rapid and (I don't know...) inorganic(?). 

• Members

Carolyn Crawford was a big ol' fail. Wouldn't consider Adelaide or Evan fails. Adelaide wasn't meant to be anything other than Kirk's confidant, and clue us in with teases about Kirk's past. Loved Susan Brown in the role.

Evan wasn't Lucinda's half brother, she was his step- grandmother, Royce (played by Terry Lester) was. Evan was kind of wasted as the also-ran in the Andy-Courtney romance, and always seemed somewhat in Connor's shadow. It wasn't until his affair with Barbara that he came into his own, and that got cut short by Greg's accident.

Edited by P.J.

• Members

I don't recall either Mr Walsh appearing (her husband or her stepson, who wouldve been Evan's father). Rita Lloyd did play Edwina Walsh, Connor and Evan's mother. And one if the InTurn winners played Evan Walsh IV, which would've made him Evan's son.  

• Members

Neither did I, but he was very charismatic.

The actor had been on the short-lived FOX soap Tribes for a while, and although the series was dreadful, I kept watching until the bitter end, largely because Greg Watkins was so adorable, and looked so enticing in the super-tight jeans he used to wear, LOL.

• Members

I couldn't stand her either. She was so damn whiny and never really very happy with anything, and I didn't understand why so many cute boys were interested in her. I always felt like she dragged Andy down. I wish he'd been allowed a fun pairing - even one. (Julie doesn't count as Julie was a mess, even though I enjoyed their friendship) 

• Members

Thanks...and I assume we never saw Jacobo Esteban (Sierra's father) unless he was in some Montega flashback. Speaking of Montega, does anyone know the first time Montega was mentioned/shown on screen? And the last time anyone mentioned Montega at the end of the program's run? Did Taggart/King create Montega or was that a brainchild of Marland's?

• Members

Montega is first mentioned in late 1984 as Lucinda learns about the revolution there and has Craig go rescue Sierra. I don't remember if he knew Sierra was her daughter at that time or not. 

We never saw Jacobo, I believe.