As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Right? It's a wonderful idea  but for all we know, it's the same twenty clips in different patterns. I think the only one I was ever able to make out was Ellen with Dani.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Oh, I can make out several of the clips. I'll pay attention to tonight's episode and point out who I see. Off the top of my head, I know there's an Emily clip and a Nancy clip in the globe.

• Members

Yeah, I can see Lucinda, John, Katie, Nancy, Barbara, Emily. Obviously it's quick and they're tiny but it would look pretty stupid if there was just four large shots making up the globe. I mean it's obvious that it's made of clips from the show. I don't think it's really important to need to make out every single one. The point is made and gets across to the viewer.

• Members
Posted (edited)

They mentioned Craig being in jail, so this was likely sometime in the fall, as I remember it was a big Labor Day cliffhanger when Craig was arrested and I think the case was ultimately solved in October, so sometime around mid to late September ‘86 perhaps? Another clue is that Barbara’s shenanigans as it relates to Tom and Margo had obviously been revealed to Lisa, evidenced by the frosty tone between them and Lisa’s desire to buy Barbara out of the partnership, which Barbara was refusing in this scene. And Paul looked like he was in search of a new father figure, despite Duncan’s observation that Paul is protective of his mother. Lisa, in her amateur sleuthing phase sent all the detectives scattering as she entered the police station made me chuckle.

Watching that episode reminded me of how far back Emily and Holden were put in each other’s orbit but unfortunately Colleen McDermott’s lack of instincts at the time hampered that effort and Jon was also still ‘green’ and incapable of overcoming a fairly wooden performance from his scene partner in McDermott.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Thanks to @Liberty City for posting this elsewhere.

Catching Up With AMC/ATWT Alum Tonya Pinkins - Soap Opera Digest

I remember Ernie Pysher writing an SOD article around 1984 or 1985 about how bad the backstage atmosphere was. I guess he wasn't the only one who felt that way.

Not to be discouraged, she auditioned for two other soap operas in the following weeks, and booked ATWT, working alongside some of the top names to come out of daytime, including Meg Ryan (ex-Betsy), Marisa Tomei (ex-Marcy), Julianne Moore (ex-Frannie/Sabrina) and Steven Weber (ex-Kevin).

“We were the kids,” Pinkins says. “[Late Head Writer] Doug Marland was a great, great writer, but there was a culture there that was incredibly toxic. It was like the writers were reading all the soap mags and finding out what was going on in people’s real lives and putting that into the show. It was very tense.”

• Members

Yes, she mentioned this in her Locher Room reunion discussion. I also wonder if she may have had a “thing” for Steven Weber who, at the time was with Finn Carter. She said something to the effect of them being very exclusive with one another and her feeling hurt. She also alluded to certain cast members who were having romantic dalliances with co-stars who were clearly not their partners in real life.

Please register in order to view this content

I mean, we’ve discussed Colleen and Mark in this thread. I do wish someone would at least ask her what it was like to work with Novella Nelson, something I am genuinely curious about but because most soaps didn’t do all that well with writing Black families, I understand why they wouldn’t ask.

Also, wasn’t Pinkins around at least until spring ‘86? The Doug Cummings story wrapped in ‘86, right? And Heather had that jarring scene with Doug…wasn’t that in ‘86? The article got the dates wrong.

• Members

IMDB has her up to August 1st. Around that time would make sense as in the episode posted on this page Roy mentions looking for her. 

Her exit always feels so abrupt to me (lack of context probably not helping). It's a shame they didn't keep her around. 

I haven't watched her Locher Room interview yet. I am glad someone got to spill some tea on that podcast. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

Should be said that Tonya Pinkins time on the show went from the "Steve & Betsy" show with Mary Ellis-Bunim as EP (1983) to Doug Marland/Robert Calhoun (1986) trying to rejig the show into more of an ensemble - so her character was stuck in limbo during this "transition" period Marland & Calhoun were trying to instigate. Pinkins wasn't the only one affected, half a dozen actors were stuck drifting around until Marland could figure out what he wanted to do with certain characters.

Pinkins made the same complaints to SOD years ago - and said she was fired with no notice. She claims she went on a two week vacation - when she returned, she was told she'd already had her last day.

For his part Robert Calhoun told SOD he was "distressed" to hear about Pinkins talking about a toxic work environment. Saying he has nothing but respect and admiration for her beauty and talent. 

Edited by TheyStartedOnSoaps