As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

I knew Hank was the gay the first time I saw him. This was before i started reading soap mags with spoilers. I loved how Barbara didnt give a damn that he was gay. It would have been great had Paul been gay and younger Luke made a play for him. It would have been great to have seen Barbara and Lucinda go at it again. I think Charles did make one appearance at the end of Starcher's run. At the time I don't think viewere were ready to see a gay couple on tv. This was the 80's. Look at all the actors from Dallas that were gay in the 80's and not out.

Tyler was hot..he has the look of a young Silbermann.....lol.....I dont think he did anything else after his soap gigs. I too would like to find out what happened to him.

My favorite Margo was HBS. She did get on some of the females nerves....rumors were she was a prankster on set and CZ didnt like it very much. Scott Bryce has said he still keeps close contact with HBS. I thought they made the perfect sister/brother combo.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The first gay character on soaps who was sure of their sexuality was Lynn Carson on AMC in 1983, played for a few months by Donna Pescow. Hank was the first gay man.

Marland initially was going to have Hank leave after learning he had HIV, but he decided it was too grim for both Hank and his partner to have HIV/AIDS, so he just had Hank leave because Charles was ill.

• Members

Or how the entire town would literally STOP dead in their tracks to celebrate Lily's August birthday. *eyeroll* I loved DM, he was a wonderful storyteller, and probably the BEST I've ever seen at balancing and timing stories. But DAYUM, he had a blind spot as big as the Sun for Lily and MB. To the point where all his other ingenues (who were arguably just as talented as MB) got NOTHING for story unless they managed to get out of Lily's teen/young adult circle. Lily was almost as bad as Y&R's Cricket in the "every man falls in love with them" department. I remember loving John's newfound son Duke simply because he refused to kiss Lily's ass. If Michael Louden had been as conventionally hunky as say Shawn Christian, no doubt Duke would have been one of Lily's victims too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Your right, they are cheesy but a lot of fun! Also, can you believe they showed so many characters of all ages, with even Nancy Hughes being featured. They would never do that now.

Funny too, how Hensley who was the stud of that era, really looks "natural," and not super cut steroid type...he actually had the body of a real farm boy. Amazing how we have come to a different weird idea on soaps and pop culture on how "hunks,' should look.

• Members

The same person who kindly put up some of Steve and Betsy's wedding has shared more of that timeline. Starting in late December they began putting up 3 or 4 clips. Here's their wedding reception, or part of it. I'm not a big fan of Steve and Betsy but it's nice to see more of Tucker, with the dancing, and Heather, and various people having fun. What a hideous dress on Maggie! It's also cute to see Andy here as a child being annoyed by strangers, when he would be aged only a year or two later. I still can't get used to that other woman as Lisa though.

This is part 1 of an episode that has 4 or 5 clips, after Betsy was "killed" in a car crash to facilitate the recast. So the show never tried to make viewers think Betsy was dead? That was a smart move.

There's also another part of a 1984 episode.

• Members

Yes, we always knew she was alive, wish more shows had done that. The question is, why not just have a recast Betsy instead of going through all that plastic surgery amnesia stuff?

I don't remember who was trying to shoot who, and why Margo and Maggie didn't just tell them!

Betsy Vonwhatever was a terrible Lisa. She subbed for Fulton in 81 or something when she was sick, and they brought her in as a recast. Lisa was boring and wimpy and way too "to the manner born," during her time. Fulton would always give that gross guy playing Whit the evil eye when he was trying to boss her around, but BVF's Lisa just did whatever he said. They were going to kill her off but Fulton said she would come back (I tend to think that Fulton sometimes exagerates, I couldnt see them killing Lisa off at that stage of the game, the show was too silly and lighthearted back then to kill a beloved character off...Wagner had left the show but Nancy was still kept alive and they could have killer her off with a heart attack.) Which reminds me, whatever happened to "Aunt Charmagne," I LURRVED her and how she would get BVF;s snobby Lisa in an uproar.

God, the Steve actor was bad!