As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Pretty sure it was someone above him who requested Francis be removed; even Francis stated as such.... the constant hate Valentini gets because people just want to place blame needs to stop, immediately.

By your logic, he should've then cut Erika Slezak, Robin Strasser, Hillary B. Smith, Bob Woods et al from One Life to Live. Again, by your logic.

Also, Kristina Wagner has been working on other projects, so she hasn't been readily available for shooting. She made room to shoot the Reilly tribute, but, that's all they had her for.

Not to mention, right now, COVID is still present... so perhaps the older cast are not as comfortable working on the set.

People also assume it's all the executive producer, when the writers also deserve [some] kind of attention. That being said, under Valentini's production, General Hospital has built to re-establish the Quartermaine family (one team more successfully than the other), etc.

Not to mention, he's introduced a nice-looking production model, especially after [unfortunately] bringing One Life's piss-poor cameras to a studio build for high-definition.

But, sure, keep being as negative as you'd like. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I certainly will.

And I never said I didn't want to read them, slick. I'm simply using your logic (again) to counteract what it is you've seemingly brought to the table, via your opinion.

I was not the one who came off quite cold first. Reacted in the manner of which I was responded to.

Edited by Liberty City

• Members

That same lack of imagination? Lol, I don’t know. Writing for such a large cast with all the intendant requirements and demands is immensely difficult. I just did not enjoy the tone or the direction of the Lily/Lucinda dynamic. 

• Members

It just feels as if people forget that the series didn't begin and end with Marland's tenure. 

Lucinda's vitality as a character should have boosted as Lily became more and more entrenched in adult life, yet Lucinda didn't go in that direction in the character's latter years. Other than having Lucinda stricken with illness, what was really done with the character to show her as a vital, spirited woman? When Lily became a mother and it was clear that she was fully on her own as a woman, would have been the perfect time to give Lucinda a new path. I don't even remember Lucinda driving much storyline at that point.

• Members

I actually do not disagree with you. I watched most consistently from 86-93 so that is my main point of reference with story and writers. I only watched intermittently after that time with college and career etc. I don’t think Lisa, Bob, Kim, Susan had much at a certain point either beyond health issues or their kids. Strangely, when I watched in later years the dynamic with Lily and Lucinda no longer irritated me. 

• Members

I am not going to lie here: I know this is being said mockingly and inferred to be awful (which, yes, probably would be). And I know people have a complicated relationship with later-years Carly. But boy is there a part of me who kinda sorta wonders what magic Maura West could have done with that kind of storyline.

Also, we mock what "would have been" but: Cleo.

• Members

This totally describes Marland's ATWT..not only do the couples lack those two attributes but the families do too. Everyone seems to be together because they have to be, not that they like each other or have any deep bonds.  That's why Longs and Curlee's GL was so much better then ATWT..despite it not being structured as tightly as Marland would do or use history as much...ATWT is the friend you invite to the party because you would feel guilty if you didn't while GL was the friend you wanted to be there as you don't know what might happen.

• Members

Generally the show would focus on Lucinda reacting to another relative, usually one who was long-lost, if the story wasn't about Lily. Marland returned to the pattern previously established with Sierra by bringing in Neal and Royce. Then after Marland's death, Sam filled that void. Then as Lily moved into a more settled life, they brought in he's-her-son-oh-wait-he-isn't David, and granddaughter Georgia, along with the bizarre James romance. I don't think any of this ever would have lasted, to put it kindly, but Liz Hubbard's hostile relationship with Felicia Minei Behr ensured it wouldn't. Then, when Liz returned to the show, she was mostly kept in an even stricter supporting role, there to react to Lily or to Craig. 

I do think Lucinda's use in the last year, so heavily manipulating various story strands and finally leaving for a life of her own after Lily took Worldwide away from her, was satisfyingly done - more than I would have expected by that point, anyway.