As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

I liked Rose. I thought she was OK with SH's Paul. I thought she was a breath of fresh air in a very suffocated and predictable Snyder and Walsh lineup. I wanted to see more of her with Iva. I felt like she suffered from poor use more than anything else. I liked her more when her father was around. I thought that she was a better example of Martha Byrne's abilities as an actress - I cared about Rose, whereas I often saw Byrne's Lily as an insufferable princess, and then, after a few years of genuinely maturing as a person, regressed back into the me-me-me-me twitdom that was increasingly unflattering with age. I thought Rose helped Lily as a character. I would have preferred they sent one off for extended periods rather than kill Rose for yet another overproduced shock value murder that had few consequences, other than Will angst.

Heather Rattray forever! happy.png

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I liked Rose, she was funny and she was one character who could put Lily in her place, she was actaully one of the few "good," characters who could ever diss Lily and get away with it. I like that Lily finally had another female confidant and I like that it showed the loving side of Lucinda that she took Rose in as her own. I kind of agree with Byrne, Lily is the character who should have been killed off, by someone pissed off that the whole town is forced to celebrate her birthday!

What bugged me more is that they brought in Rose's dad and tried to pair him up with Nancy Hughes...what Nancy is a cougar all of a sudden. Would have made sense if Rose was raised by her grandfather but come on!!!

Carl there are no words for the Ratay comment!!!

• Members

This is hilarious. I would have loved that.

One of my all time favorite ATWT memories has to be one of her birthday episodes from 1988 where she was upset about Holden and the camera panned to Caleb, then that crazy guy who was supposed to be wooing her, then to Beau, all to catch their reactions over poor Lily's pain.

• Members

May 1989 episode is up. This has a lot of followup, and a few B-stories, but is very entertaining. The best part for me is we get to see some of the fallout from Hal, Barbara, Nancy, Bob, and Kim over the truth about Adam's paternity. I especially like that we see some of the stern, old school Nancy in this. Some nice Barbara/Hal moments in this too.

Other stories feature Lily trying to play rebel princess. This story was done to mature Lily, but it seems a little silly to me. I do like the casting for the rebel, and Sawyer. Lucinda is wooed by Niles Mason - as we know, he's up to no good, but Charles Keating and Liz Hubbard have a very natural spark. Caleb has a meltdown over Lily. There's a funny scene where Lily calls the farmhouse "my farmhouse." Indeed...

The B-story in this, cut off from just about everything else, is the feelings Nella has for Beau, and how this ends the last of the Beau/Pam relationship. Marland didn't waste any time at all in getting Beau out. I wonder why. I can see where he may have seemed superfluous (the canvas already having so many young, sensitive men), but the actor had a very strong presence, charisma, and it was nice to have a character who had no major ties to core characters. I also like the actress who plays Nella. I wish the show had done more with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9DUPKkltqs

• Members

I believe that's Beverly Penberthy herself! Barry was much much older by that point. It's a shame ATWT didn't find a way to keep such an underrated daytime legend around.

Lindsay Frost's career never took off did it? Funny just tonight I was watching a Seinfeld rerun tonight of when George and Jerry visit NBC to propose the Jerry show and meet Susan for the first time they walked past two giant promotional posters, one for Blossomblink.png and the other for Frost's(with Robert Englund) short-lived series Nightmare Cafe.

This article and photos below appeared in the 11/24/98 issue of Soap News is from 1998 at a St. Jude's Benefit that ATWT actively participated in:

I wonder how Lucy Johnson felt if she read that about DeFreitas....ph34r.png

• Members

I don't know why I didn't realize that was Penberthy.

At least P&G still found some roles for their talents, even small roles, up to the early 90s. Maeve Maguire had a short role on ATWT in 1992. I'm sorry that was discontinued.

I would have liked seeing more of Adelaide. They could have brought her to Oakdale after Kirk/Ellie broke up, especially since that started a long dry spell for Kirk. She would have been more interesting than characters like Aunt Mary.

Thanks for the newsletter. At first I thought Lauren Martin Harkins was Laura Leighton and wondered what Leighton was doing at an ATWT event.

Scott DeFrietas started becoming very handsome around the late 80s and that certainly never changed, and hasn't today. He was also a decent actor and represented a part of ATWT which Goutman and the later CBS and P&G people and Sheffer/Passanante never understood. And of course, the brilliant John Valente.

Seeing AMC's end just reminds me again of how little anyone at P&G or CBS gave a damn about the end of ATWT. I get very annoyed when I think about that damn cast photo which was chopped together and poor Kathleen Widdoes wasn't even in. You could sense some of the sadness and anger from Don Hastings in that Mental Floss article.

Edited by CarlD2