Is ABC Daytime About to Announce a Two-Year Pick Up For One Life to Live?!

• Members

Jamey Giddens @ DC: In an article for the Denver Post, journalist Joanne Ostrow is reporting ABC is about to announce a two-year pick up for embattled soap opera One Life to Live.

Okay, this industry and her fans have some rough times in the last few years, but if this news proves true, I say it's reason enough for us to all go dancing, butt ass naked in the streets, singing "For Fronsie's a Jolly Good Fellow"!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Right.

Really, and I know some peoplve are gonna act a ass over this, but if ABC is announcing a "two-year pick up" for a show they own, then it sounds to me like they're giving it a two-year cancellation notice. Why else would they say "two years?" Why not one? Or three? Or four or five or six? Line it up with SOAPnet's demise in '12, and it makes sense to me.

And this is not to say that AMC won't get the same notice.

• Members

What if One Life has signed some kind of production deal with other sources that lowers the cost even more ....much like the idea of AMC going to LA was to lower costs? Maybe it just means that a new production model will essentially 'buy' some time for another two years and then see what happens.

• Webmaster

Since ABC owns all their soaps, they do not practice a renewal session amongst their executives. The only decision making they'd have is whether to can the show and when. Two years is too far along from now for them to say it is done.

• Webmaster

There are a number of problems with the article this post is based on....

So ABC owns a show and is expected to renew it for another two years? If this were May, I'd believe it, but September? Not so much. Besides that is bunk considering ABC doesn't even do renewals for their soaps, since you know, they own it.

Yes, As The World Turns ended this month and joined Guiding Light in the soap opera graveyard. But, Oprah's show doesn't end until next September....you know, September 2011.

See again, ABC owns their shows and repeats them enough through out the year to make back expenses on some of the originals already broadcast through out said year. Oh, and did I mention ABC already owns their soaps?

On another note, I don't get the point of the article, but that is just me.

• Webmaster

There seems to have been a structured idea for the article, but nothing ever followed through. It was sentence followed by period. The follow-up sentences didn't even link well. The concept of the article makes sense, but the product published just didn't follow through on expectation.

Archived