MTV: Lauren Conrad Show

Sylph

• Members

That is the basic pitch from MTV. Jersey Shore was marketed on how fun it is to see men punch women out. Teen Mom is marketed on the entertainment value of bad mothers. Skins was all about faux-controversy and hysteria (which thankfully viewers saw through very quickly).

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Spoken just like someone who truly does not watch these shows.

Jersey Shore never showed men punching women, let alone "how fun it is to see". Snooki was punched by a drunk guy in a bar, the footage did not air in the episode.

Teen Mom has one 'bad mother' in each series. they are just the ones who get the attention. Other than Amber and Janelle, the girls have stepped up and tried hard. Stumbled, sure, but thats normal.

• Members

The punch did air in a promo, and then the promo was pulled and they didnt air the scene. It wasnt marketed as shocking and thrilling at all, nor was played out that way. The thing people who do not watch Jersey Shore miss is the fact that its more than a bunch of drunken idiots, its a show about friendship. Yes, they go out, get wasted, and sleep around as a lot of people do, however when something like snooki getting punched or being arrested, jwowws boyfriend leaving her and stealing her [!@#$%^&*], sammi and ronnies drama, etc... they band together.

As for teen mom, thats my point. thats what you hear about from the media, that is not what the show is about. not at all.

• Members

I have to agree with JP. The way JS is depicted in the media is very different from the actual show, but that's just a prime example of how the media doesn't really watch the shows they obsess over. Yes, they drink and argue and are constantly horny, but most of the show is just them having a good time and getting into funny situations. That's what everyone tunes in for, that's the stuff that we talk about on campus on Fridays.

Teen Mom, I think, is great. I haven't seen Teen Mom 2, so I can't comment on that, but the original cast of Catelynn, Amber, Maci, and Farrah were very interesting. They weren't perfect mothers (but who, at that age, can be? who, at any age, can be?), and they made mistakes, but, Amber aside, they always tried to make good lives for the kids, and I think the show did a good job of showing teen motherhood in a realistic light. I think a lot of people disliked the show because they felt it glamorized the subject matter, but I don't think showing that being a teenage mother isn't always a horrible experience isn't glamorizing it.

Archived