OLTL: Discussion for the week August 23

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The show doesn't seem to have any actual storylines -- they have been treading water for quite a while and have so many characters who actually seem immune to any storyline progression (Jessica, Todd, John). I guess the Edsels count as a story but who cares. I just try to enjoy individual scenes and ignore the attempts at stories.

• Members

Michael GL that's right actually... I think I blocked out the whole Skye exit storyline. I wonder if Roxie (who?) ever actually visits him in jail--I mean they don't serve martinis there.

Carl, that's exactly how I feel--I prob liked this week more than past week cuz we got those Vicki/Dorian scenes and a few other decent moments. They play the big beats of story I guess--someone goes psycho usually :P--but that's about it. lol

• Members

Roxy's been visiting him for about three months.

One of the reasons I enjoyed Cris/Layla/Kyle/Fish was because they had such a believable friendship which transcended the other stories. I think they were a nice distraction from the other garbage. It's a shame that they had to be involved in the Stacy baby story and all the other melodrama because just some simple scenes would have been great. That's what the show is missing. Many scenes which try to have natural conversations are so forced. Now those are left to day players and while I've grown to like Darren more and I like Shaun a lot more sometimes you can see how empty the whole thing is.

I think they would be better off if they just dropped the stories and had people improvise, like on Search for Tomorrow when a show ran short and Mary Stuart and the girl who played her daughter would sing and dance. Look at how quickly they dropped the Stacy baby stuff. Perhaps that is why the stories now aren't actually storylines, they are afraid of building up something that will have to be quickly discarded.

• Members

Agreed with your first paragraph 100%. To me those small scenes make soaps (and AMC has actgually had a number of decent ones lately even if their major stories are still somewhat lacking--though nothing like OLTL). I think one prob is OLTL has pretty consistantly mediocre to bad dialogue--even compared to most of theother soaps on right now.

HAH I'm a bit worried though about the cast improvising and singing and dancing--I mean we saw the musical... ^_^

• Members

I thought the last musical was probably one of the better episodes in the past 5-6-7 months, although that's not saying a ton, and of course Layla and Markko are gone.

It sucks because the show needs a big shakeup and yet soaps don't do that anymore, they just slowly wither until they are canceled. I hope at least they might give Dorian some interesting stuff as she is the main reason I'm still watching. The scenes with Viki were a good start. It would also help if David didn't come back.

• Members

And they were prob the highlights--no the musical was at least kinda fun and a break from the awful storylines--I know many hated it but I agree with you. I just couldn't resist the joke.

Agreed on Dorian.

This is a nitpick and I know soaps always have people travelling incredibly fast, but the speed at which David and Clint made it to Morocco, and Eli and Blair made it to Tahiti is... ridiculous btu I guess that's the least of the show's probs... (I loved on Thurs or Friday when Marty asked John what Eli's motive was and he explained everything but why he even pushed Marty in the first place... When he finally does explain the weird theory they have behind it it makes no sense from the mind of a cold calculated killer. Oh well?)

Not that I have ANY faith in her after she penned my least fave era of AMC, but when does Jean Passanante's co-writing start airing, anyone know?

• Members

I don't see how Eli and Ross being brothers makes sense with the history of "Eli" that we know now- if Eli was living under all of these names for so long, how did Ross not know? Does that mean he does know? Because if all of a sudden your brother was one name, and then another, and then another... you would probably ask questions. Especially if his wives keep disappearing/dying. Have they explained this? Was Eli only in Ross's life later on? Still confused on this.

I am correct in the fact that "Eli Clarke" isn't his real name? ANd neither was "Bennett Thompson"- or that other name he used? Or is he REALLY Eli Clarke and just did those other crimes under that name?

• Members

How come Billy Warlock got to have a soap career and Kirk Geiger didn't?

I find it interesting that we're almost back to square one with the Evanses. Not so sure that Greg will be long for this Life in Llanview, yet I see Des and Shaun hanging in there.

Oh my Word, those scenes with Dorian this week, can hardly wait for Bird and Kimmie Zimmie to turn set after set into a pile of toothpicks. :o

• Members

1.) The musical worked, in my opinion, because it FINALLY moved along a few stories. Markko found out about Ford/Langston, Cris proposed to Layla which caused Jessica to flip out and then go to Ford and thereby remember she's not a 16 year old... those two stories had been circling for a while and it was time they ended them. That also being said- the musical was actually quite entertaining, at least compared to the first one which was a snoozefest. This one also involved more characters (like Chris, Layla, Jessica, Brody) whereas last time it was just the newbie teens and Marcie.

2.) They kind of explained why he pushed Marty- it was alllll about John, to "distract" him from investigating Kelly's mother's death... and thereby eventually finding out about Bennett Thompson. And because Eli had targeted Blair, and Melinda knew who he really was (he and his wife lived in California, assumably thats how she knew)- and Melinda knew that he and Blair were an item, and wanted to warn her. So he killed Melinda to stop her from talking to Blair, and pushed Marty to keep John off of Melinda's case (which is worked, because he was investigating that for months).

3.) I was under the impression we were already seeing some of JP's co-writing? I've noticed a different tone lately... just figured it was that.

He's pretty useful when someone is sick or injured... it's always useful to keep around the doctor. I think they will save Greg- because there was enough backlash regarding Fish/Kyle and "getting rid of the gays"- I don't think they'd start "getting rid of the blacks" so soon after...

Archived