OLTL: Discussion for the week August 23

• Members

While the current Jake on AMC can drive me crazy, ML as Jake was the worst of any of the Jakes/Joeys I've seen. I just HATED him on AMC. Yet I actually didn't mind him as Ross on OLTL (well until he completely flipped his lid in a more and more typicaly Ron Carlivati plot move...)

I've only seen some of the bumpers (they don't show them on the Canadian simulcast so I saw some on youtube) and some how missed that one :P

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SERIOUSLY. It's worse than Higley! If for some weird reason I ever hear that anyone, be it Vicki or Bo or Nora is leaving, I'm sure they'll go psycho and hold someone at gun point or be talked into murdering someone or turn out to have killed all these characters we'venever heard of, or something...

• Members

I found them a charming couple (her and Eli) and it's amazing how insanely unlikeable I've found Eli as soon as the switch in his temperament happened--not because I don't like what the character's doing, necesarily, but the writing's bad, and Matt's Snydely Whiplash delivery is equally bad. He shoulda grown a twirly mustache.

• Members

Eli was a mess of a character from the start. They seemed to have real plans to put him in some triangle with Tea (remember the scene where his towel was yanked off and he was standing there with the bleached teeth and waxed chest) and Todd, then he and Blair became the losers who were sleeping together because they couldn't have their true loves. Then the story seemed to just end and Blair and Eli were together on the backburner, until suddenly Eli is a psycho.

• Members

I dont think there was any real plans for a triangle with Tea and Todd. I dont think there was any plans for Eli at all and didnt think he would have stayed on the show after he was revealed to be Ross' brother. It seems as if that was the only reason he was brought on and once that reveal came about, there wasnt any need for him anymore. I really thought they would have gotten rid of him after that and its a shock that a year later, he's still around

• Members

I think there would have been a triangle or he would have gone nuts for Tea. There was a lot of focus on his relationship with Tea and his fondness for her after a while. The whole story basically seemed to disappear around January.

• Members

I dunno, I got the feeling that Eli was brought on just as a rival lawyer cuz you need one on your show, THEN they decided late in the game to make him Ross' brother but still didn't have big plans for him, THEN they seemed to want a Tea/Blair triangle, THEN this psycho stuff, bla bla. To be honest (and I honestly do like some things about Ron Carlivati's writing--especially in the past, I swear) this is one of the ways Ron writes the show thatbugs me the most. It's natural on soaps to have dayplayers who have a certain chemistry or spark and become more important characters. But Ron seems to almost thrive on it--there are way too many countless examples of characters he has on and I am *positive* are never meant to become major roles, and then suddenly in a very contrived way are tied to some other character (oh and then go psycho usually ;) ). The thing is it's not completely awful in theory--soaps often force a new character down our throats, and it's better to introduce them slowly--but the way he does it these characters still seem forced down our throats (and I so expect some of our members to make a dirty comment about that :D ).

• Members

It would have been nice if they hadn't done such a hatchet job to Eli, I mean two sinister evil doers as brothers? Reminds me of the Joplins, how the two of them were also unstable. It screams plot driven. I mean it would have been nice if they had stuck with Eli as being the stable level headed person, with Ross remaining the rash, irrational guy he is.

RC's apparent "rewrites" always include a character making a 360 and going psycho.

Archived