AMC: Agnes Nixons mistake

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I liked that run (except the Tanner story which I think was truly offensive and wrong headed)--even if during the spring of 97 the only ABC soap I thought was on fire was the soon to be canceled The City (it was also the only soap to have its ratings increase week to week--albeit by tiny inclements--the others were starting to tumble). But OLTL was awful then--I don't even remember specific stories, just so much of a feeling of NOTHING--like no structure, or anything.

• Members

For a non character like Kevin, I think it was *great*, though the actual reparitive therapy part was better, as said. Of course I was dealing with my own sexuality issues, and was Kevin's age, at the time so that may have played a part (it was done much better than OLTL's Billy Douglas story--albeit that assuredly paved the way). And I appreciated that Broderick tried to carry on with the character (even the Kelsey falls for him story, while some could say it was to avoid having a bf forhim--though he did get one--a day player--was realistic and relatable I think).

• Members

I don't want to take away how meaningful Kevin's coming-out tale was for you, Eric, but I had a serious problem giving such material to a character we hadn't known for very long and to an actor who just wasn't very good.

That's my problem, really, with most coming-out stories on daytime: they're always about young adults I just don't "know" as a viewer. Even Luke's story on ATWT felt hollow to me b/c (even though I'd seen Luke from the time of his birth) Van Hansis had not been in the role for very long.

• Members

I admit it's largely a personal thing, but I think the actor who played Kevin actually was very good for a newbie--a lot of natural charm and comfort in front of the camera--I think he was much more than adequate. But I will agree (and did say) that it's too bad that till Bianca they had to use all these newbie characters for coming out stories--but we know that was a network thing (just like Billy Douglas' story was meant to be about Joey I think it was). Broderick WAS clever in making it seem that Scott was the one who was going to come out and keeping Kevin's secret a bit of a surprise--and after the focus on Jason and his drinking, his infatuation with Dixie, etc

• Members

Yeah, Joey Buchanan was slated to "come out" before ABCD nixed the idea. Even if Michael Malone had been allowed to go through with his original plan, though, I wonder how successful he would've been for me. For one thing, there's the fact that I simply couldn't trust him to write a topically relevant story in a way that wasn't preachy and heavy-handed. (His earlier attempts at it, such as w/ the short-term arc about domestic abuse involving Viki's never-before-seen maid and her husband, left me unimpressed.) For another, Viki would undoubtedly stand by her son's decision to come out; and though Malone and his team liked to think Clint was an old-fashioned cowpoke homophobe, the Clint I know would've supported Joey's decision, too (even as he and Viki were concerned about Joey's personal safety), because being "a man" meant standing up for what he thought was right, even if it meant standing alone. So, really, where's the conflict?

Now, if Powell had come out at the climax of Marty's rape trial.... ;-)

• Members

I liked Malone's writing a lot more than you--but I think you raise more than valid points. Still, it woulda meant we'd have a gay character permanently on the canvas (yes permanently even if he was in London--he'd still at least get mention). Having Kyle and Fish come out, in that instance was a regression (although the way Carlivati introduces random new characters with no ties to the canvas constantly and makes them the stars of the show, that's no reason for them disappearing as they have)

(I woulda loved Powell to come out--it could even be some bizarre, and granted controversial, reasoning for him going along with the gang rape--but they've completely ruined his character anyway...)

• Members

Wow, you just sold the hell out of that Kevin story. I have to go search for clips soon (though I'd rather watch the whole thing from beginning to end -- this is where it sucks that back episodes aren't readily available for watching). Re: Bianca's "loves," I totally agree. Really, no one would have been surprised if Allen's Laura came out. I remember being puzzled as to why the naive little Disney-voice girl was the lesbian and the rough, stoner-looking girl was not. Ignorant, I know, but I was young.

• Members

Just catching up on this thread and would like to add my 2 cents worth re Erica the supa model.

Yes,it was ridiculous that she achieved such success and remained in Pine Valley. I think it would have been better for her to have had some success but then be kicked back down up against the jungle that is NY. Erica could return to PV boasting of success (the evidence would be there-magazine,tv commercial whatever) so she could swan around as a 'star' and spin some story that the falseness of the modelling industry was not for her.

Yet the viewers would know the truth and it would engender some sympathy for the character.Erica would rather be a big fish in a little pond.

• Members

Here's my problem w/ Kish: if OLTL wanted me to care about their predicament, they could've tied them to characters who I do know and do care about. For example, I could've cared less that Billy Douglas was a closeted gay, but he was Joey's friend, so Joey's concern over the issue mattered to me. Conversely, before their story officially started, Fish was just some Llanview P.D. officer who was good w/ computers; and Kyle was just the dude at the hospital participating in all the DNA shenanigans involving Rex, Gigi, Stacy, Roxy, etc. Would it have killed Frank and Ron to make Fish Nora's cousin, let's say, or Kyle Rex and Natalie's friend from the "old neighborhood"? (The answer: of course, it would, b/c that would take something called "planning," which OLTL doesn't really do anymore.)

• Members

But, see, they'd played that story already -- twice. The first time was when Jason Maxwell's murder (and the scandal over their affair) threw a damper on Erica's precious modeling career. The second time was when she came back from Hollywood, defeated and demoralized b/c she'd ended up at a fat farm after her and Tom's marriage had imploded. If Erica's career could have suffered irreversible damage, though, it should've been after Kent Bogard's shooting. She could've mounted a comeback attempt, but the lingering whispers surrounding the scandal would've done her in, forcing her to settle for life as owner and permanent hostess at the Chateau (or something).

• Members

The AMC clips that are being put up week by week with the, umm Hebrew (i think) subtitles just went past the shooting of Michael, so they should be going around there. There used to be GREAT clips of the episodes with Kevin and the evil shrink (who to be fair wasn't played evil--it was really well done) from a soap fan who was documenting all the soap gay storylines but they seem to have disappeared.

When Bianca came out Laura was already nuLaura who was much more of a lipstick lesbian ;)

Archived