DAYS: Discussion for month of August

• Members

LOL perhaps you should consult. Higley just cannot do Reilly stories properly. I might be in the minority, but these payoffs have been lacking for me. I'm still pretty bored. How come everyone had to leave the wedding in order for this EJ/Rafe/Sami stuff to go down? It would have been more engaging if all the drama played out with everybody still there. Reilly would have definitely milked that wedding for all its worth. Just seems like a big waste of time to have everybody at this wedding, then have them all clear out when we get to the good stuff for the most boooorrrring reveal possible. Ugh.

So anyway, this Daniel/Chloe twist is interesting. Kind of. I'm not really convinced it was *already in the works*, but we'll see. I'll tune back in next week...or something.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

LOL For sure. I can definitely do a Reilly story better than Higley can.

Yeah, it was so stupid for everyone to leave. What was up with that!? The reason why you have a revelation at a wedding is so that it can be revealed in front of everyone. That's soap opera 101!

• Members

But this isn't a Vivian/Maggie story, this is a Vivian/ Maggie/ VICTOR story with the outcome being known to all. I doubt we are going to see anyone struggling in the sarcophagus like we did Carly in the 90's. This is about thwarting Vivian. Maggie is just the excuse.

• Administrator

If it's only about Vivian being thwarted, what's the fun in that? And why bring up the sarcophagus if you're not going to use it. What a tease! Once you mention a sarcophagus....you got do it....you gotta go there if you mention it. Then you build the anticipation of it happening. Also, a storyline of this magnitude should've planned at least a year ago. If they wanted Maggie to be in the sarcophagus, then they should've built a Vivian/Maggie rivalry last year, not a couple months ago. And Maggie/Victor's relationship should be deeper for the anticipation of the rescue/reunion to be bigger. Now is not the time to do a buried alive story for Maggie/Victor/Vivian. You do it February or May next year.

• Members

Loved the Nicole/Victor scenes! Hilarious! Lol @ Nicole calling Victor a "Nasty old man" LOL!! And Victor had so many fantastic lines, that the list would be way to long. Love their scenes always!!

Love Maggie helping Brady...he is turning into quite the mess. His beard has grown out, he's continuing with his drinking, wonder if he'll turn to coke again to?? Doubt it, but I'm glad Maggie has been brought into this story and is helping him.

EJ's secret better be revealed tomorrow, I can't take it!

• Members

You really expect this show to take all that time or to plan things ahead any better than they when they have the filming schedule they have and cancellation is going to be looming over their head any day now? This is a reality all soaps face and those that don't now will face. That is why you can't really completely go with the JER style because soaps just don't have that luxury of time. They don't know if they will be here long enough and if the audience will stick with them long enough. The closest to that kind of thing you will get is the baby switch last year.

As far as all the people leaving, again, so what? You can't treat every reveal the same. The only people of all the guests who would've been shocked were Will, Lexie, and Roman. Stefano already knows the freaking secret and Kate just wouldn't care beyond getting angry that Stefano knew and what it could mean for her and Will. They will find out soon enough anyway. I like big reveals too but that doesn't mean you do that every single time just because it's a wedding and a big reveal. I sometimes find it stupid when soaps do that anyway. They all just stand there with their jaws dropped like a bunch of idiots. It's actually nice to see a realistic take because what Sami did is what a real person would do. Send everyone out so the matter can be discussed in public and without further embarrassment.

All that being said, it does sort of anger me that the others did leave simply because I'm sure it had to do with Alison Sweeney's taping schedule. Otherwise, I bet the other guests would've stayed or at least some of them. AS really is holding this show hostage. They probably couldn't get everyone else to work around it for another episode or two so they had to write the other characters out of the scene. Hence why the show bothered to spend so much time on why everyone left and where they went. If it wasn't some planned thing, they wouldn't have bothered.

Whatever. The real payoff comes next week. :D

• Members

I think it had more to do with the fact that this entire story has only been about rafe/sami/ej, and there is no need for anyone else to be there when she finds out. people like roman and caroline, i really wish they would be written out. they are not used and in situations like this if they were used it would feel so fake and forced, to me. both of them just come in and judge sami, belittle her, tell her what to do, and then move on. It isnt even a days issue, its like this on other soaps too.

As for AS, the show knows far ahead of time what her taping sch is. They work around TBL, and she works other things around both. So if that is the reason, its no excuse at all. Days just is very hit and miss with using its cast, and right now its very miss.

• Members

Higley probably feels the same way, which I suspect is why her reveals (and writing style in general) is boring as drying paint. All reveals are not created equal, true. But after 6 months of foolishness, with a juicy secret like *that*, I very much expect a big reveal. Otherwise, save us the trouble and drop the bomb after a few weeks if its not meant to be that significant. This isn't an after school special, its a soap opera--theres no reason why it can't be suspenseful, exciting and realistic.

• Members

But why?

Aside from wanting a big reveal.. why?

How is anyone but Sami really affected? Will would be the next one most affected, but caroline, lexi, roman? Sure they are related to the tyke, but they were not involved in this story at all, really. So to see them all outraged and hurt and telling sami i told you so and see lexi be pissy at her family again, whats the point?

I love a big reveal, when its needed and people are connected/relevant to it. Samis downfall in her vegas wedding to austin was a perfect example. But this isnt a secret like that. This is directly related to Sami and only her. Everyone else who needs a reaction will get one, but they dont need one at the moment she finds out. IMHO anyways.

As for JER style stories, i am fine with days leaving that in the 90's. He was good at it for a few years at best. Nobody can recreate it, he couldnt even do it. Leave it in the past.

• Members

But that's the thing - there ISN'T a Maggie/Vivian rivalry. It's all in Viv's head. Sure we all have a pretty good idea of where Victor/Maggie are heading eventually, but it's not going to be conventional and Maggie is far from accepting her growing feelings for Victor. Ironically Vivian is the only one who sees what's happening, but her twisted way of dealing with things will be her undoing. For an actually rivalry to exist, Victor would have to be interested in both women and that's just not the case.

And as for timing, but the time Vivian actually gets Maggie to the Sarcophagus, it probably will be November and that will have made a good 6 months of this so-called "rivalry". (Being away from Days for years and now returning, I'd forgotten how they drag things out. It's like every character needs a POV and several interactions per day.)

• Administrator

Exactly. Don't bother revealing it at a wedding if you're just going to have 3 people. There's no point of rearranging the set, getting new costumes, having guests come over - there's no point.

One of my soap opera philosophies is: big revelations, with so much build up, should happen at big events - it's just more fun that way.

• Administrator

I agree. All I'm saying is, don't do it now. I don't read spoilers so obviously don't know if it's going to happen in September or November. I just think it should be done in 2011 when there's more depth to Vivian/Victor/Maggie.

• Members

I agree completely (although I wouldn't write out Caroline but that is a personal bias of mine LOL). This reveal was handled right, about as right as possible given the story blew and was rushed to an end. It fit the story.

Also, the show really didn't have to rearrange sets or anything like that. The Dimera Mansion set is used in pretty much every episode anyway, which is why they used it for the wedding to be able to save the money (given it was going to be an interrupted wedding anyway). They only had a few guests and those who were there all pretty much lived in the house outside of Lexie (who I think may have only been there just to fulfill her guarantee) and Roman (who was pretty much the stall tactic to make sure Rafe arrived in time to stop the wedding) so you kind of had to have them there even if they weren't necessary since the wedding was in the house. They were quickly written out of the reveal because they weren't needed anymore. This reveal was focused on the people it was supposed to be focused on.

To be fair, I get what people are saying but I just don't think it can happen in this day and age of soaps, especially for Days. And I don't think the show's limitations hurt them in this case because I think the reveal played it as it should've. It wasn't perfect but the structure of it all was IMO.

Archived