December 26-30, 2005

Toups

• Members

What a hit! If the numbers posted on the board are accurate, Santa was not kind at all to daytime this Christmas season.

Look at the change from last year (same week)

Y&R now 4.4, then 4.7, loss .3

B&B now 3.5, then 3.6, loss .1

GH now 2.9, then 3.4, loss .5

ATWT now 2.9, then 3.1, loss .2

DAYS now 2.8, then 3.1, loss .3

OLTL now 2.7, then 3.2, loss .5

AMC now 2.7, then 3.5, loss .8

GL now 2.4, then 2.6, loss .2

PASS now 1.9, then 2.4, loss .5

The week between Christmas and New Years was the week last year when several shows hit HIGH ratings marks for the year. This year, it's just the opposite. 7 out of 9 shows last year were OVER a 3.0 rating, this year, only 2 shows Y&R and B&B were over a 3.0. CBS seems the least effected in ratings drop, while ABC took a major hit acrossed the board. That is if those numbers listed are correct.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Chris that simply means that a repeat episode aired that didn't count in the weekly ratings or a new episode aired that didn't count in the weekly ratings (usually during a holiday day) - it's the networks choice to choose if the episode counts or doesn't. Like most soaps don't let 7/4 count despite airing new episodes b/c the numbers usually tank on that day, Christmas/NY's though has usually been very good to the soaps.

ETA: Toups, will we be getting the ratings with the viewers and all today?

• Members

Well I think the NBC soaps will see boosts next week since Monday they weren't on so we only have 4 days and both shows had great cliffhangers last Friday and 4 great episodes this week. I think other soaps will do well too since they had similar situations this week too. Next week many of them will fall but Days I think sicne this story will be huge this week coming up and the following week. I think Days will have huge numbers next week (cautiously optimistic) and Passions will do decent (2.0 perhaps?). If Days is as good this week and the the following week as it was this past week it will definitely do well.

I am very disappointed in the ratings for the holidays so far but in a way I'm not. When soaps have slow and steady increases (like Days has had the last month or so), you tend to maintain the audience or hold onto most of your gains. When you see a huge boost, usually the show falls hard shortly after. For me as an NBC soap fan, I am happy with this since both shows are showing steady and slow increases because there is a better chance that will hold onto at least some of the gains or just stay the same. Well that is my two cents-maybe I am just being optimistic :) .

• Members

OUCH @ OLTL, AMC, GH, and PSNS.

In defense of our shows, Christmas was on a Sunday this year. And New Year's Eve was on a Saturday, and New Year's Day on a Sunday....I doubt anyone had the Friday before X-Mas off. *MAYBE* people had the day after (Monday) off, but I know tons of people who had work that day. People may have gotten January 2nd off, but again, I know tons of people who had work that day too. It wasn't like usual holiday weeks when there are definitely days off and national holidays fall on weekdays.

• Members

Christmas falling on a Sunday had pretty much nothing to do with low viewership. The normal holiday spike in ratings had to do with college kids being home for the holidays, and watching their soaps at home. This is the first year in my mind that I can think of where there was no spike in soap ratings for the week of or after Christmas. What this is saying is that younger viewers aren't thronging to soaps as much as they used to. They have other venues with which to spend their afternoons. 18-49 ratings were down acrossed the board from last year, most losses are DRAMATIC. 18-34 numbers all down (Passions DOWN over 1 whole point!) 12-17 ratings are all down from last year, but not as bad. Not ONE soap can claim an increase over last year in any of those key demographics. Not ONE soap can claim they gained in total viewership over last years numbers (AMC down over 1 MILLION viewers). These numbers should be and are putting fear in the hearts of many!!! This isn't just a blip on the radar screen, this is a TIDAL WAVE hitting the soap industry.

Can you say more cost cutting measures in 2006!?!?

• Members

I agree with that too, Chief. But I think the fact that there really is no clear spike for the holiday weeks *HAS* to do with the fact there really wasn't a weekday off or counted as a national holiday.

College kids are out since mid-December until mid-January - at least, at my school and all of my friends' schools....so the spike would happen much earlier and last much longer than the New Year's Week if the spike was relying solely on college kids.

Archived