Inception by Christopher Nolan

Sylph

• Administrator

Just got back from seeing it and I have to agree with JP (what? did I just say that!? ;):P) that it was probably the closest thing to a perfect movie. It was just brilliant storytelling, great action scenes, thought provoking concept (at least to me....dreams are very interesting to me), wonderful performances by Leo and Marion. The only negative thing I have to say is that at times, I couldn't hear the dialogue - either the music, or sound effects were too loud, or I couldn't understand the accents (Tom Hardy and Ken Watanabe). Loved Zimmer's music - I also found it surprising that it didn't sound Zimmer-esque. If I didn't know Zimmer did the music beforehand, I would've never guessed it was him.

I'm glad it's making a lot of money because I was worried it wouldn't. And I'm glad to see that there's good word of mouth about the movie.

Anyway, more about it tomorrow! Brilliant job, Mr. Nolan. Hopefully he gets his Oscar nomination that he so deserves.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Toups, glad you liked it--but did you think some emotional involvement was missing? In the end that was my prob--it was at heart just a SUPER complex Hesit movie--there was no real weight to their mission (I know saving the world wouldabeen cliche). That's why I can't call it a "perfect" movie--my brain was always involved but I'm not sure my emotions really were.

And can I just say that Tom Hardy is LOVELY.

• Administrator

I was emotionally involved with Mal/Cobb - why did Cobb feel so guilty about Mal dying, why was Mal a "bad person" in his subconscious. I thought Mal's suicide scene was great; Mal/Cobb's final scene together was phenomenal ("your just a shadow..a shade) - beautifully acted by Leo and Marion.

But I get understand what you're saying. If it had that beat that you were talking about or if it almost made me cry, I would've given it a 10/10 instead of a 9/10.

What did you think of the final scene? I loved the last shot of Cobb's totum spinning, and it's wobbling a bit, about to fall....and then cut to credits! LOL I loved how Nolan left it for us to interpret whether the reunion was a dream or not, whether it was our inception. God, I thought that was so brilliant. Some people think it was a dream because his kids were wearing the same clothes. I thought it was real because he (and we) finally saw their faces.

I'm going to go see this movie again in couple of months. I loved it so much.

I liked him too his this movie! I'm also starting to really like Joseph Gordon-Levitt a lot. He just looked so cool in this movie - I think it was the hair. LOL He definitely had one of the most coolest scenes in the movie - the non gravity scenes with the wicked fights sequences.

• Members

this guy, (rex reed apparently), thinks he's too clever by half. Much of his information is only half-right, like he was texting through the movie only bothering to half-listen while waiting to tweet his annoyance with Nolan to anyone who will listen, as anyone who goes against Nolan right now for such a "brilliant" movie will certainly be paid attention to for "going against the fanboys." He's a bigger hack than he claims Nolan is just for this wank of a review.

It's a good movie. Flawed (Exposition, anyone?), in all the areas Eric mentions, but definitely worth your ten bucks more than most of the other shite that's out there. I'd rather see an ambitious failure than a mediocre flick, though.

As for the end, you decide...

• Administrator

I am thankful there was exposition because I would've been more confused. It definitely helped me a lot in understanding the plot, what 'inception' is, how it works, etc.

Just read a great interview where one of the actors gives his POV/Answers: Inception’s Dileep Rao Answers All Your Questions About Inception

And yay for the movie making $100 million in 7 days.

• Members

Rex Reed is pretty much a joke in the industry--a big joke considering how long he's ridden his ride. I DO think he raises some good points though. Like some, I see reading criticism as not a reason to deride--but to actually see what's wrong and improve. :P I love the movie--but like I said, it feels hollow in the core.

• Members

One of the most bizarre and unique movie experiences I've ever had. My head literally hurt at the end trying to absorb everything and make sense of the previous 2.5 hrs.... I am still thinking about it. My only complaint is I felt the majority of the acting performances were weak, especially Ellen Page. I felt the cast had a pretty clear lack of chemistry and as a result I feel it took away from the film. Overall though the story, the direction, the score were very well done. 7/10

• 3 months later...

Archived