Larry King giving up CNN talk show

DRW50

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was never a big fan either (there was an episode after Sandra Dee died which especially annoyed me) but it's sad to see him leave in this pathetic way, right in the middle of all this speculation about affairs.

I really wonder what is even left for CNN these days. Anderson Cooper in his crisp whites trying to show us the tragedies that almost make him have a facial expression -- no thanks.

They should just have Kathy Griffin take over half the network and co-host with him.

• Members

I'd much prefer 50% Kathy Griffin & Andy Vanderbilt programming.

I'm sorry to see Larry go because it is clearly not on his own terms. The scandal with his wife, his ratings spiraling, hitting 77 in a town that has little pity for age. Larry King Live was the last bastion of safety for many old Hollywood types who won't ever be heard from again.

I actually think Larry did a lot of good work until about 2003. After that point, he basically went on autopilot and had his friends on. I will never forget his coverage when OJ Simpson was barreling down the freeway in that white Bronco. When Larry was 'on' he was engaging to watch.

I hope his ouster from nightly work on CNN doesn't kill him. That show was very important to him.

• Members

I agree that he's a pretty awful interviewer, talking over people, being rude, not paying attention, and I've loved it when people like Harrison Ford and Phyllis Diller have called him on it. Having said that, I have found his show enjoyable and his presence oddly endearing. One thing about his interview skills or lack thereof is that the subject always ends up being the star, he's not one of those interviewers who somehow make everything about them and pulls focus from the interviewee.

SoapBoy, that Star Jones interview was indeed a good one and he was annoying me kissing Barbara's ass through his line of questioning as Star over-smiled her way through it all.

• Members

Do you guys really like Kathy Griffith? I kind of can't stand her. Well, I should say I think she's best in VERY small doses and from what I've seen of her reality show (admittedly, very little) I was even more put off by her... especially her moments of humorlessness, like when the mask comes off it really hits with a thud.

I think Meredith Viera would be a good replacement. I really like her.

• Members

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/07Mx07zyS6w&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/07Mx07zyS6w&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/07Mx07zyS6w&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Archived