All My Children-Friday, June 18, 2010

• Members

[

I agree. Well, not so much now, about the Randi Morgan character... but the initial idea of the character had potential if a stronger -- more believable actress had been cast to play her. Sorry, but there's no way in hell I can believe that this ABSOLUTELY STUNNING young woman had no other choice in life but to run the streets and be a hooker. And there's no way this prim and proper sounding actress can make me think she grew up an orphan in group homes and lived on the rough streets, brutalized by pimps. Vasi's portrayal -- if I can call her year of surface, flat, line recitation a "portrayal" -- would've been better suited for a character like Madison North. A snobby, conceited rich girl, who grew up in boarding schools. Because, now, Madison and Randi seem like peers -- unless the writers remember there's a couple pints of bad blood between them.

Casting Vasi as Randi was just a miss on many parts.

Thanks! :)

My pleasure! :)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DV would have been great as a vapid rich girl, Taylor Roxbury-Cannon's dimwitted little cousin who Taylor was always locking in closets and holding by the ankles down the laundry chute. Here's the thing... I do believe that a beautiful girl could still find herself in a situation like Randi's given her background, but I'm more inclined to believe that would happen to an insecure, naive, less than sharp beautiful girl... which DV could have played wonderfully. BUT, Randi wasn't written as such, at least not in the beginning. She was supposed to be this street smart spitfire and DV didn't really sell that. If she was more of a Vivica A. Fox on the inside it could have really been fascinating, like, "Girl you are TOO smart and TOO beautiful to be doing this mess, what is the REAL deal here??" But I think most of us were like, "Ugh, this girl is just dumb. <_< "

• Members

Right, I was alluding to that with the "what is the REAL deal here??" and I should have fleshed that out... the fact that "smart" doesn't always have to do with it, you can be a drop dead gorgeous intelligent woman who still hooks because of personal issues like that one. But at the end of the day, my point is that Randi was written as "beautiful, has issues, street smart," and portrayed more like "beautiful, has issues, dim bulb."

• Members

DV is gorgeous and I think if she was a real actress she could have sold it but she doesn't have the acting range. Halle had the same problem when she was auditioning for the role of the crackhead in Jungle Fever. Spike Lee couldn't see it, until she washed her makeup off and just transformed into the role.

• Members

Regarding the cut scenes of late (Brot, Madison waking up in a fire etc) I'm pretty sure at least some them, if not all of them, were taped. Cameron Mathison did a behind-the-scenes interview for some show several weeks ago and I'm pretty sure they showed Madison being rushed into one of the hospital rooms after the fire.

It's so strange that this show that has no time or money would cut scenes that were in the can, and then write and tape new scenes to fill the void.

• Members

Love it! And loved me some Taylor Roxbury-Cannon! (The Ingrid version of course)

I just wonder if the writing in daytime is too fast-paced to sit and think things like this, although I'm sure SFK brainstormed it in three seconds.

• Members

You know it. ^_^ Credit to R., he said "snobby rich girl" and it just came to me. "Only a Look" as the choir used to sing, if more people on the show knew the show and took but a quick glance to the past they'd see a wealth of history and wonderful characters to draw upon. Of course what they also need is someone amongst them who acts as the nun with ruler in hand to rap their knuckles when they move to bastardize said characters and history. If you can't do it right by honoring the past instead of screwing with it, leave it alone and continue to come up with your own new crap characters and storylines. Amen OLTL? :unsure:

Archived