Original Actor vs. Recast.

• Members

Carl, what's so great about this dialogue you've got going here is that I ^_^ at David just as I often do while watching the real show, and :lol: at something as simple as Viki's, "David, that is such a cruel thing to say." :lol: I can totally hear her saying that, Viki tickles me with her prim Mid-Atlantic line delivery.

It was nice/weird/unnecessary/but still nice to see Carmen Duncan replace Eileen Fulton for a day a few years back. She still looks great.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh I totally agree, that when Kirsten joined the show there was for sure an effort by TPTB to push Kirsten Storms into a storyline Richards created. This didn't bother me I suppose, because it did allow you to connect with Kirsten's Maxie a little more than if they had just brought Maxie on and never had her do a storyline involving her heart. I think it was a smart move, because Maxie's heart transplant was the biggest moment in the characters history. So, for me, had they NOT done this, I would have had a harder time connecting with Storms as Maxie. (However, I WAS upset that we didn't have Kristina Wagner for the storyline. No disrespect to Sandra Ferguson, but she just WASN'T Felicia, so she felt wrong in that storyline.)

Wait, did Jennifer actually audition for another role, and they gave her Carly? I never heard that.

Right. GV's Lucky wasn't similar at all to what JJ's is. But for what GV WAS given, I think he played it very well. I was just saying that I think if they had written for GV what they write for JJ, he would have beeen out of place (though that's just a thought, since we never actually got a chance to find out.)

Haha! I agree, I think Chad's final test will be whether or not he has mad chemistry with Laura, Mo, and Kristina (as it seems he will interact with them most.) And then of course JMB and NEWCOMERFDOMINICZAMPROGNA, since we will be living with them. But Duell's portrayal really makes me feel bad about what has happened to Michael, where as DG's made me have NO sympathy, and really truly think he deserved it for being such a prick.

• Members

Ironically, "the Hoff" talks about this very issue in this week's SOW ("on sale at newsstands NOW!," lol), describing how difficult it was at first to replace William Grey Espy as Y&R's Snapper Young Foster. According to Hoff, he received all kinds of negative fan mail, including one from a viewer who said just watching him made them nauseous. (Khan: I think most who've seen him half-naked on "Baywatch" have had similar reactions.) Jeanne Cooper (Kay) took him under her wing, though, pleading w/ Bill Bell on his behalf to allow more of his own, emotional persona into his portrayal of Snapper, whom Espy had portrayed as being "cold."

• Members

I got hooked on GL and ATWT about 20 years ago and stayed CBS loyal until the mid-90s or so. I started with AW around that time and even though the show was not in its best days I kept with it off and on to the end. I didn't get to see the late 80s material until Soapnet, but I was impressed with how strong most of it was, and as with AW throughout its lifespan, was impressed by the complex characters (possibly the most complex of any soap ever) and the actors who gave so much of themselves to the roles. There are also few soaps which did friendships as believably, and effortlessly, as AW did.

• Members

Michael Easton kind of reminds me of William Gray Espy, that fine line between strong silent type and Zzzzzzzzz....

All this talk of Rachel, I kind of feel like SMG's Kendall is our generations's Robin Strasser's Rachel. I could definitely see Sarah still playing the part, just rolling with the punches of this character.

• Members

THIS is exactly how i feel about VW's Rachel. She scares me, even when shes happy go lucky. Its like at any minute shes gonna flip and go evil. lol. I love it.

OMG! YES! I never thought of that, but its so true!

As for others... DA couldnt play modern kate. And frankly, ive always hated on LK as Kate but now that the show was made her less cartoon, more real woman, i see what people like Cat have told me about her. She is fantastic.

I know this is gonna be off but... i cans ee anyone but Carmen Duncan as Iris Wheeler. I know Bev was her first, and Bev is one of the best, but... i dont know. I guess because Carmen is the only one i have seen? I am not saying shes better, because i cant judge, but she is my Iris.

In an odd case is Another World's Viki & Marley. Ann ownes both roles, IMHO. Nobody comes close.

RR as current Maxie? No. She never could have pulled off the bad girl/drunk/slut/i cause chaos and death maxie the way Kirsten did, but then again if Kirsten hadnt been cast Maxie wouldnt have gone that way. Actually, thats not true because the show was set on doing it and realized RR couldnt pull it off.

Susan Seaforth IS Julie on Days, that said i could actually see the former actress pulling it off as well. But without Susan, i doubt there would be a Doug & Julie.

Sandra Ferguson is the only Amanda Corey on Another World as far as im concerned. And funny thing is, the other actress' are actually really good. And its not that Sandra is fantastic, she just is amanda. I dont know how to explain it.

Id like to say that if Heather had never left the role on Y&R as Victoria, Vitorica never would have became what she did. but the show was set on de-victorizing her. True, Tom would have played it and tried to keep her char with this fierceness, but... it wouldnt have worked. Eventually she would have become what she did. I am glad heather left and i dont want her to return for that reason.

Of course, Walton as Jill is perhaps the best recast ever. Well, IMHO anyways.

• Members

I dont remember what went down, didnt Kristina want a contract or she ws going to leave and go back to college or something like that? And the show casted Sandra? That story was awful, and i hated it. I am huge fan of both Sandra & Kirsten and even i was like.. the eff? No.

Sandra also wasnt fond of it. She really kind of tore GH apart in my interview with her actually, lol.

But man was kristina wagner awful when they brought her back after georgie died.

• Members

It's called "imprinting."

If you collect classical music, you're aware that there are often many, many versions of symphonies, concertos, chamber pieces, et al. Also, if you're a collector, you probably have more than one version of works you like a lot. Yet, you may play one version rather than any of the others, i.e., your favorite. It is very common that your favorite version is the first one you heard. Your memory absorbs details having to do with speed and dynamics, and decides for you that this version is the best version, the only version. Subsequent versions don't seem right because your memory has already committed itself to the details of the first one it heard.

It's not a perfect system (I only like Leonard Bernstein's first version of Mahler's 6th Symphony, but am able to listen to the Mahler 7th as done by many conductors), but it happens often enough that people frequently feel it necessary to mention their "imprint" version of a piece when discussing other versions, or the piece in general.

It's the same principle at work with actors and roles. It happens more on soap operas than other forms of entertainment because soap operas go on for years longer than any other dramatic form (well, other than certain long-running plays). It explains why you (and I) think that Anne Heche or Carmen Duncan is our only Vicky/Marley or Iris. Or why Amelia Heinle isn't Victoria on Y&R, but Heather Tom is Victoria.

Your memory does this little trick, making up your mind for you. I am in the odd circumstance of liking Kevin on Y&R while others call him a pervert, because I have never seen him doing "perverted" things. I didn't watch the show for years, and my introduction to the character was while he was getting his ass kicked in jail, five or so years ago. To me, Kevin is a victim, not a perpetrator.

Oh, and Sandra Bernhardt is my "imprint" Amanda, too.

• Members

I liked Sandra as Felicia. She was decent enough. She didnt have a story to really showcase her talents so it made her seem generic but she was alright. Fact is KW didnt have any stories to showcase her talents either and and the end of her GH was horrible. They ruined Felicia so much that by the time she left, it wasnt a big loss bc she was already tarnished

Archived