"Secret Storm" memories.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Jada Rowland QUIT The Secret Storm TWICE. She was dropped ONE time. You understood that when I wrote the original post and felt compelled to correct me by shouting that she left THREE times. Yes, she did not appear on the show during three separate occasions, but that was not relevant to my initial post in which I made it clear that she quit twice. You understand the distinction and are attempting to start an argument with me, which I do not appreciate. Those tactics are better left to your own message board, which I, and many others, avoid for that very reason.

Enjoy your evening.

Edited by saynotoursoap

• Members

Great fun reading all of these comments and articles. The Memorial Day 1968 death of Robin was indeed memorable but I never claimed it was the first location shoot for the show. Indeed, I have read that roof top shots (when the show still originated from Leidercratnz Hall) were not uncommon, though strictly speaking that's not a real location, since it was on the broadcast premises.

The whole thing was shot at a Marina. Jada Rowland was shown diving in after Robin...Wish someone could unearth some scripts as my recollection is of Robin as autistic, though I would love to see this corroborated.

Would that more kinescopes would surface. It was such an involving show. Lori March, (as has been remarked elsewhere) was always beautifully dressed and coiffed. But for that matter they all were. The clothes were top of the mark. As I've said earlier this was the pre-pants era.

Marla Adams was lovely as Belle--sort of like a Hichtcock blonde.

• Members

I never would've imagined Robin being autistic. You barely see that on daytime, or television for that matter so I couldn't imagine it in 1968.

Also, someone mentioned earlier the Brooke Ames story, how she stabbed her hand and was later killed in a fight with Val. I was wondering what led to this breakdown and her hate for Valerie? And what happened after Val fled the scene after realizing Brooke was dead?

• Members

I see that Saynotoursoap states that the Memorial Day location shoot was the first and given his expertise on the vintage serials I don't doubt him. I guess to watch that sequence that day was a bit historic.

Saynotoursoap--do you know who was the production designer-art director for "The Best of Everything"? Our local station didn't pick up that show until only about 3 months before its cancellation, and I still remember many of the sets!

Best,

Brent

• Members

P.S.--The above article on the clothes, while fascinating, is not the New York Times article which appeared in 1964. It can be obtained electronically now through the New York Times database, for those who wish to avoid the old fashioned microfilm route.

• Members

I don't know what the reason behind Brooke's hatred was. Brooke deliberately stabbed her hand and telephoned Valerie (I think), saying that she had done it accidentally on some roses and that she "didn't have an antiseptic in the house," (don't ask me why Val would be the most proximate aid in this matter) I vividly recall Brooke deliberately cutting herself and the sham phone call for help, but am not absolutely positive it was Val whom she phoned.

Anyhow, (and I think this was the same day in October 1966--I was 9 at the time) Valerie was there with Brooke alone and an argument ensued...Brooke tried to stab Valerie with a letter opener but ended up being stabbed herself (unintentionally by Valerie). Valerie fled the scene in alarm...I understand she was later charged with murder but in all honestly don't remember the trial...perhaps my after school cub scout meetings blocked that period.

Brent

• Members

Oh I forgot--Re: Robin--she was definately having emotional and or emotional issues of some kind, since I remember the adults being exasperated by her disconnected behavior--such as sending her to the kitchen to retrieve a pie for guests and her returning with a handful of limes, (a scene I recall specifically). Perhaps it was nothing so dramatic as autism since I am sure I did not know what that was at the time.

Brent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...