May 10-14, 2010

Toups

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DAYS' ratings make me sad. They have lost nearly a million viewers in the span of 3 months. The show is plain boring and needs ACTION. I am tired of this baby story that is still dragging along, and will continue to until Rafe or whoever discovers EJ kidnapped Sydney. The Carly/Daniel/Chloe crap is horrible, the Nathan/Melanie/Philip/Stephanie quad is contrived, horribly executed, and boring, there is just nothing going on. All these stories are stuck in neutral, and they all need a swift kick in the ass.

So happy that the ABC soaps went up, I am enjoying them all at the moment. Hope One Life gets another bump next week for the musical that I enjoyed.

• Members

Days has crashed hard; really thought the show would take down B&B but everything has fallen apart. Sad state when the number 5 show comes in at a 1.8 and the cancelled 'dead show' garners a 1.7 in HH. Also blown away by how steady ATWT remains with it's rating rarely shifting from week to week but that, in general, is how things go on CBS with their shows always lining up in tandem.

I dislike Goutman and Pissy; however, just realized that they could have never ranked a 2.1 (CBS demand for renew) with B&B coming in at 2.3. The math was never there with the blow out at B&B considering the two shows have always had a 800,000 viewer spread between them. The Days rebirth gave everyone some hope that that has evaporated. Now, I wonder just how long it will be before the remaining soaps are gone. I expect one of the Bell shows to end up on cable but, outside of that, even ABC is quickly coming up on the point of loosing money. All I can say is sad, sad, sad...

• Members

Not terribly happy with the stories on OLTL right now but happy for them. Up slightly in the ratings, 3rd in the key demo and 2nd among girls 12-17. Pretty cool. Now let's cut back on the teeny bopper stuff, have Jessica regain her memory, and finally put an end to who/what killed Melinda, have Rex find his parents, and start summer off with fresh, new stories and better ratings.

• Members

IMO the characters are not fine. Far from it, Days has no concept of character integrity. Sacrificing characters for the sake of plot (and crappy plot at that) has become the pattern but frankly that has been the case for some time... in the last 3 months it isn't just the usual level of character sacrifice but the utter assisanation of Sami necessary to once again attempt pairing her with EJ and making that the new lead story. Days did nearly the exact same storyline (that required the same character destruction) two years ago and the ratings crashed then too, so I'm not shocked or sad for Days. They were idiots to try this again.

• Members

So happy for AMC! Deserves that boost in viewers, the show isn't half bad these days. I'm glad it went up during Kreizman and Swajeski's first week.

I feel bad for DAYS since it was on such a roll not to long ago, but omg the show has gotten absolutely BORING. I'm glad the ratings are reflecting that, maybe someone will notice and change something about the show now! I am crossing my fingers!

• Members

I'm sad for the Days that I used to know and love. The current show bears no resemblance to the show I watched for close to 30 years. Over the last few years they systematically eliminated nearly every character that I cared about and the ones that are still around, for the most part, are shadows of their former selves. It used to be that I cared enough about the characters on the show to suffer through periods of boring/horrid writing, but I feel nothing but disgust/apathy for the majority of the ones left in Salem now. I'm amazed Days can even pull off a 1.8 with what it has become.

• Members

I look at DAYS and I see Bo, Hope, Victor, Kate, Abe, Lexie, Stefano, Sami, Philip, Nicole, Chloe, Maggie, Vivian, Carly, Justin, characters that have been around on and off for years. Mark Hapka, Shelly Henning, and Molly Burnett are all appealing performers. But we really haven't been given a chance to care about Nathan, Stephanie, and Melanie. I think Shelly Henning could lead story as Stephanie. If they actually played the fact that Stephanie grew up with a mother who pined for the great love of her life Stephanie's entire life and Stephanie was warped by that, rebelled by being a party girl and a racecar driver, has failed romance after failed romance, was raped, she gets depth that is never played. The Hope, Bo, Carly triangle could be played for years, but Bo and Hope still haven't dealt with their problems. What happens that you love so passionately that you can't keep a relationship together? Carly could become a kick ass bitch, something that CC obviously can play. Carly really has only been happy one time in her life, and that was when she was with Bo. Just what would she do if she thought she would lose him again? What if Nikolas comes back to town and sexes it up with Hope, who truly lets loose and enjoys life for the first time away from Bo? How dos Kate, Vivian, the Hortons, and Bradys react? Why does EJ have to be good to be with Sami, and not the other way around? Why can't Sami be drawn to EJ, and yet hate herself for possibly caring for such a shitty human being who did so much to her. Why not get to the root of Chloe's problems? She grew up in an orphanage, felt ugly her entire life, and only felt loved when she became an object of desire. To me, that's interesting. No wonder she sleeps with everyone. I don't know. There is so much there. I think the show could be turned around so quickly, but someone has to realize that it needs to be done.

• Members

True, DOOL is down and that is sad for its future and the future of soaps overall. But I think there is still potential to turn things around if they kick it up a notch.

I think that maybe EJ went too far this time and the fans no longer want him & Sami together ... or at least that easily. When Rafe exposes EJ, that should bring some payoff. Personally I wish they would bring on Ma Hernandez at last. Perhaps she could have a secret, say years ago she had a one night stand with Stefano which left her pregnant, found out what kind of man he is and married Mr. Hernandez to be a father for her child instead. After all, Stefano has been on & off the show so much over the years, who knows what he was up to during that time? Imagine, EJ & Rafe are half-brothers? That would certainly add a whole new dynamic to the story and link the Hernandez family more to the history of the show.

The Maggie/Victor/Vivian triangle could be great if they let Vivian be Vivian. They means a crazed bitch who will stop at nothing to get what she wants. And while we're on the subject, why didn't Victor put up a fight when Phillip hired Nicole? Very uncharacteristic of him. I expected a major blowup there.

As for Melanie/Daniel/Chloe/Phillip/Nathan/Stephanie, I agree with most that the storyline is going nowhere - sorry. They need to stop making Melanie such a heroine and make her what she was - a complex character with many layers, good and bad. And Chloe just needs to go! Don't like anything about her at all anymore. As for Nathan, he could make a good teen heartthrob but not with this writing. They need to make him more interesting, get him involved in an escapade or two, turn him into a white knight in shining armor instead of such a wimp easily manipulated by the women in his life.

Will admiring Stefano is an interesting twist that could possibly offer some long-term possibilities. And The Kate/Maddie storyline does show promise, depending on how it unfolds. If there's no major repercussions, then I will be disappointed. Also now that Anna is acting like Anna again (although the scenes with Calliope were excruciating), get her involved with some other characters, maybe Roman instead of just being a DiMera sidestory. Nicole & her would make a good team too.

The biggest problem I feel was having Bo off the canvas the last few weeks put the Hope/Bo/Carly/Justin/Adrianne storyline in limbo. Now that Bo's back, hopefully they will put it back into third gear quickly. I just hope the writers don't give into the Bo/Hope fans because I don't believe putting Bo with Carly had anything to do with the ratings erosion. These are the same people who said they would never watch again if John & Marlena were apart because they were the core of the show and the ratings actually went up after they were let go. Besides Bo & Carly are so much hotter right now than Bo & Hope were. Their scenes together just sizzle. And Hope did push him away in my opinion. So, Bo being torn I could buy but to make him just forgive Hope and leave Carly won't work for me.

The writers just need to up the ante some, put some more excitement in there and give us stories that will have a profound effect on the lives of their characters again and the viewers will return. We all know Arianna will be cleared, Anna will live, yada yada. Now give us some stories that will keep your audience guessing.

• Members

I find it extremely unfair that the P&G soaps got cancelled for pulling in the same ratings that the ABC soaps and DOOL are currently getting. Fairness dictates that all soaps other than Y&R and B&B should be cancelled ASAP. Can anybody provide a rational argument--free of emotion--as to why any other soap deserves to remain on the air?

I'm also very sickened by a certain attitude that that seems to exists in soap circles. Specifically, it is the attitude that it's OK for the P&G soaps to be put out to pasture (and soon OLTL as well), since their "time is up," and the few who actually protest about these cancellations can be laughed at. (For example, there was recently a thread in the "Discuss the Soaps" section where some ridiculed the seven or so people who protested ATWT's cancellation at CBS headquarters.) Yet, this same attitude dictates that certain soaps--particuarly Y&R (which obviously isn't in danger), DOOL, and GH--must never be cancelled because they are "extra special." Indeed, any mere talk about cancellation (in the cases of DOOL and GH) results in some members of the fan base going bonkers. (And, I wouldn't at all be surprised if some of those fanatical DOOL/GH viewers were among the ones who were laughing at the small protests put together by the P&G soap fans.)

• Members

ABC Daytime has fans.

DAYS has/had rabid fans.

CBS Daytime has viewers.

It doesn't surprise me that there's been a ho-hum reaction to the cancellations of GL and ATWT... and by ho-hum, I mean there wasn't a lot of physical outcry, i.e. picketing, with the exception of a couple crowds that had poor turnouts. It's pretty much the same when it comes to CBS primetime as well. The numbers are there; we know a lot of people watch CSI. But there isn't a huge buzz about the show or the stars. Then you compare that to ABC's primetime hits and there's buzz over Desperate Housewives, Brothers and Sisters, Lost, Grey's Anatomy. And you see interviews and media buzz about the actors on these shows.

Much like primetime, ABC Daytime and NBC Daytime (well, now just DAYS) get more buzz; more reaction; more attention. CBS Daytime does not. Yes, the ratings are/were high, but the reaction was not.

The only CBS show I could see sparking a loud reaction if they were cancelled now is Y&R, for obvious reasons.

Archived