ABC snags PGP writers

• Members

Frons has recently raided the CBS and PGP 'talent' pool by hiring former GL and ATWT writer David Kreizman, ATWT Head Writer Jean Pissantee and ATWT Script Editor Courtney Simon for ABC Daytime. My main question is WHY? All three writers are associated with failure and each has penned some of the worst story in daytime history. PGP had been trying to innovate and, in the process, gain more younger viewers with these writers; however, most of the efforts were total failures. Also, ABC shows beat both ATWT and GL while these writers were in charge. There are still a few good soap writers out there (Kay Adler, Jack Smith, Pam Long, even Lynn Latham) who have a proven track record of uping ratings and telling good story. Is Frons trying to kill his soaps? Or, maybe, is this part of some misguided effort at lowering production costs and transforming AMC and OLTL into 'new' shows?

I've got a bad feeling that Chris Goutman will be the next ABC hire. He has been with PGP for over 10 years and is known as a able cost cutter.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seriously, people need to stop labeling these writers "showkillers." It's so childish. ATWT's death notice was signed long before they (and even Passanante) ever entered the picture. All of the shows, not just the P&G's, have all been on a downward trajectory for years now. It's just the nature of the ever-decreasing share of the network-viewing audience. The P&G shows, because of their expense to produce and appeal toward a older demo (compared to some other shows), just happened to be the first to go. No amount of amazing storytelling could've saved ATWT or GL. I kind of get Kreisman's writing and though I've never been a huge fan of Swajeski or Passanante, I don't understand why they're considered showkillers when they just happened to have been on the writing team of shows that were already failing.

• Members

JPiss came from ABC.

It's hard to blame Kriezman for GL's demise. The show's budget woes certainly weren't his fault. Didn't he write a lot of the Jonathan stuff, which some thought was golden?

And Sherman---she did a lot of good work. She was a good enough team player to take on a lot of extra responsibilies at the end. At least I can believe she'll do a much better job with stronger staff and direction.

• Members

Because he won't stick to producing.

I've always found it funny, in a way, that Frons hasn't made AMC and OLTL even bigger clones in certain ways of GH by hiring e.g. Karen Harris to pen OLTL and Michelle Patrick AMC.

• Members

Headwriter on ANOTHER WORLD when it ended: Jean Passanante

Headwriter on AS THE WORLD TURNS when it ended: Jean Passanante

Headwriter-to-be on ONE LIFE TO LIVE, which posted "new low" ratings last week: Jean Passanante

Archived