Dixie Carter (Brandy, EON) has passed away

• Members

I loved the acting on Designing Women, and when it went for the funny bone, it could be very good TV. However, as soon as I sensed one of Linda Bloodworth-Thomason's preachy tirades coming on, I learned to tune out immediately. LBT's idea of "tackling social issues" was to set up a contrived situation where the evil conservative does something A)mean-spirited B)hypocritical or C)illegal, so that she (through one of her four characters, usually Julia)can verbally decimate them as the idiot studio audience cheers wildly.

But getting back to Dixie, I remember the last time I saw her. It was the Daytime Emmys some years back. She hosted a tribute segment to her favorite soap, As The World Turns, which she just loved. How ironic she is gone just before the show goes.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As far as the political references of DW being dated, I can't say that this is a true handicap for the show in syndication. Certain conversations certainly bring us back to specific moments in pop culture history, such as the Clarence Thomas mess, but I know for fact that several pop culture references have been lost on younger TGG fans. That's what Google's for. :P (ETA: Bea Arthur disliked these dated references btw, she foresaw them hurting the show in syndication as they'd hurt Maude.) But I think DW spoke towards themes, to larger ideas that were often highlighted by current events, which as others in this thread have said, are still viable hot button issues to this day. Chauvinism, feminism, what have you, topics examined on a broader level are quite different from Anita Bryant or Donna Rice one-liners. I am by NO MEANS knocking TGG, it's just such an apples and oranges comparison and I pretty much resent DW being slagged off as some sort of knockoff, I think they achieved so much more than that and deserve credit for such.

Khan, I very much agree with your assessment of B.J., it's like they'd decided that plugging that fourth spot yet again with a bitch was going to be too predictable and unsuccessful as no one was going to recapture that Delta magic. And Suzanne especially worked because she was Julia's sister, the cousin angle with Allison was a step in the right direction, but her relationship with Julia was too detached. You also mentioned Etienne, it's funny because Sheryl Lee Ralph is who NBC wanted for Sandra on 227 but Marla Gibbs felt strongly that she wasn't right for the role as much as she loved her... SLR's too polished. I think Jackee was a better fit for a Suzanne replacement than Allison or B.J. but her Vanessa, like Etienne, was too polished (like Suzanne in her early days before Delta gained the weight and Suzanne became infinitely funnier).

• Members

The funny thing is, Designing Women earned its highest ratings during the season AFTER Delta left. Unlike TGG, DW was never a big ratings hit, it had a certain cult following that remained loyal to it for a while during its initial run, and what ultimately got the show renewed after its first season.

• Members

It's been confirmed everywhere, Dixie died of complications resulting from endometrial cancer. It must have been caught too late, in early stages it has a quite high success rate so far as cancer goes thanks to hysterectomy. My bet is the Houston hospital she died in was MD Anderson Cancer Centre, it's one of the best in the country.

I know Dixie injected Human Growth Hormone as an anti-aging thing, I hate to think that the two are somehow interrelated, yet I find myself unable to say that they are not.

What a tragedy.

• Members

Actress Annie Potts refers to her "Designing Women" costar Dixie Carter as "a goddess," calling her death a "loss beyond measure."

Potts tells ET of her costar, "Dixie Carter was a goddess. Beautiful and brainy, smart and funny, prim and sexy, wickedly talented and divinely sweet. The kind of wife and mother that every mother hopes their daughter will become, and the kind of friend that is absolutely irreplaceable. She loved fiercely and was adored in return. To have known her a little was a delight to all. To have known her well, a treasure beyond reckoning. And now, a loss beyond measure."

Carter, best known for her role as Julia Sugarbaker on the hit sitcom "Designing Women," passed way on Saturday, April 10. She was 70.

http://www.etonline.com/news/2010/04/85807/

• Members

:(

This is starting to remind me of when Farrah died and how heartbroken all of her Angels co-stars were. Growing up watching these shows, I guess you just assume they'll all always be together forever because that's how you remember them. In a way, though, the reruns and the DVDs and all make them immortal.

• Members

And THIS is why I keep posting at SON. And the fact that (I'm assuming) some of you quoted here are guys makes me even prouder. Don't ask me why. I thought it was just me who wondered why brainless, plastic rejects from The Hills seem to be every TV producer's criteria for a female role nowadays. God, I miss the sass of a Bea Arthur and the steely graciousness of a Dixie Carter.

RIP, Dixie, as beautifully Irish as Georgia's other favorite daughter, Scarlett O'Hara. And Dixie's speaking voice was like velveteen chocolate mixed with bourbon. I coulda listened to that gorgeous, gravelly lilt all day.

• Members

This is part of the scene where Dixie humiliates a client who makes horrible comments towards a man who is dying of AIDS. The scenes are very heavy-handed, to put it mildly, but for the time, it's somewhat daring, and the righteous anger in Julia's speech reflects Dixie's real life support of GLBT and AIDS causes. There's also a very sad subtext there which reflected reality for a lot of these men -- so many around them, including most of their family, would reject them, and those friends would become their family. (They also let Suzanne say a few words, which is nice).

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I enjoyed my Saturday afternoon watching a couple episodes of "Filthy Rich".

Dixie Carter is the TRUTH. :lol:

NO ONE can deliver a line quite like her. Here's where she proved her mettle to Linda Bloodworth for handling those monologues Julia Sugarbaker became famous for. She has a mini one two minutes in that's worth the price of admission. :P Of course she subbed for Nancy Pinkerton's Dorian, but seeing her camp it up in this soapy sendup, one realizes just how perfect she would have been filling Robin Strasser's shoes as well.

http://tvshack.net/tv/Filthy_Rich__US_/season_1/episode_1/

Archived