Eden Riegel Joins Y&R

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep. After the way Rianca and that Zach horror played out, Reigel took her "out" and, as a result, I don't think the brass at AMC truly forgave her for ditching the show in the middle of her SL. Perhaps they pitted her character against the Zendall "juggernaut" in the hopes of not having fans keep begging for Bianca to return every couple of months, though.

In any case, Reigel has been dropping hints for months about how much she would love to be on Y&R, that it's the soap she watches, etc. Plus, Rikaart and Hendricksen appeared on Imaginary Bitches, didn't they? I wouldn't be surprised in the least if she signed a contract.

• Members

I'm trying not to judge this recast before she hits the screen or how she's going to be written, but I do have a few questions about it. Why Heather? As others have mentioned, we hardly see her anymore. I know the role will get beefed up quite a bit because of Eden. It doesn't matter to me that Eden doesn't look like Doug. Darius doesn't look like his family and Tammin didn't look anything like hers. We barely see Paul and Heather together anyways. When Vail was still in the role there was a scene shown that there could be a Heather/Billy/Chloe triangle, but that seems to be the game plan now. It would mean that the writers will scrape Billy's great romance with Victoria. Because of Eden's past connections to Elizabeth Hendrickson they will probably share scenes together. Eden's also worked with Greg too, does that mean Heather will befriend the Scoobie gang? Will Heather go back to her job at Jabot or will she have a similar one at Restless Style. Who knows, maybe the writers will write Eden the same way they wrote for Vail.

• Members

In real life, true, but on a show which is about people who need to feel familiar with characters and where family ties can be used to develop the children of established characters, resemblance can make a difference.

If this were a well written show then someone who looks nothing like her onscreen parents or any of her father's family (I'm not sure about April's family) would be one thing, but on a show this poorly put together, they need all the help they can get.

• Members

It depends on the overall level of writing. If the resemblance is there and the writing is there, then viewers are more likely to accept someone who may not be the greatest actor, or who grows over time.

If your show is poorly written, if you cast people based solely on their work elsewhere, and you cast someone who bears no resemblance to any of her relatives, then it's going to be a more difficult burden to overcome.

• Members

Well, you make the audience sound like id!ots. It's as if they're saying: OMG! She doesn't look anything like her mom so he/she is such a sh!tty character! So unsuitable!

It's not the resemblance part why people make awful comments about recasts. It's the incompetence of producers and writers that make the viewers comment very negatively about these things.

• Members

Look at the comments a lot of people made about Drew Garrett, how much he looked like Carly, or AJ. Or, during the long periods of time where Lulu on GH was unbearable to a lot of viewers, they would still make comments like, "She looks so much like a young Laura," "She could be a young Laura," which kept people from writing her off completely.

• Members

But such comments are a different matter.

New Malcom didn't fail because he didn't resemble [insert name]. It was a plethora of factors, and the keyword was: incompetence.

But then if he was really a Shemar clone, people would say: OMG! These pathetic people are tryin' to fool us with his looks! There'll never be another Shemar! Or something.

If it were a great actor, who didn't resemble anyone, and made the role his own... Of course, there will always be those who will say that Malcolm is one particular actor and no one else comes even close. No matter how fabulous.

Archived