Gordon Russell's Work on OLTL

• Members

Eventually. Not right away. I wouldn't want to bombard the audience with more history than I already have in this fanwank. But certainly, once the Mary/Todd/Joey triangle plays out (with Mary ending up with Todd, yes, Todd), I want him there at least for the wedding (and to deliver the news that Katrina died).

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh, alright...

(I was afraid someone would ask for this.)

Blair makes yet another stab at moving on from Todd, who seems perfectly happy with Tea and Danielle at this point (although, Todd ain't liking the fact that Danielle and Matthew are closer than two teenagers should be). Her new boyfriend, a reporter for the Sun, seems like an all-around nice guy. Unfortunately, Todd is actually paying him to date Blair and report back to him on what she, Sam and Jack are up to. When Addie uncovers Todd's scheme, Todd tries to do "damage control" by firing the jerk, but he chooses to exact revenge, instead, by raping Blair. Fortunately, Addie is able to get to him and Blair in time to knock him out cold and save her daughter, but the shock of the attack, as well as his admission beforehand how Todd put him up to it, send Blair into a catatonic state. Once again, her life is in turmoil; and once again, Todd is the source of all the pain. Therefore, Blair has come to the conclusion that the only way to get away from him is to get away from him (emotionally and psychologically, if not physically).

• Members

It brings a grin on my face that Téa and Blair are completely done with Todd. I think it would be interesting if Blair, once out of St. Anne's decided to take a break from her love life and in the meantime a woman at her work, a new character or a returnee preferably, develops a crush on her.

• Members

One reason Russell may be underappreciated (I was thinking about this on the bus today LOL I need a life) is OLTL didn't have a sudden ratings burst under him like some great headwriters have caused. In fact when Agnes first left him to write it alone the ratings dropped a bit and stayed steady, and low, till they finally climbed with the Karen storyline (climbed very high though this was also partly due to AMC and GH doing so well). When Silverman was threatening GH with cancelation if things didn't turn around, OLTL was only a couple of tiny points above it (and I assume could have been threatened next?)

• Members

To be fair, OLTL has never really had a massive ratings burst, and even in the 80's, like the rest of ABC Daytime, it was riding off the wave of GH's then massive popularity. And unlike AMC, which manged a season at #1 before the GH dominance, OLTL just didn't have that.

It probably didn't help that the show was competing with ATWT and AW in the 70's in many markets, which by that time were massive ratings powerhouses, especially ATWT.

• Members

According to the OLTL 40th anniversary trivia book, the ratings for GH began declining in the mid-70s when it was up against the popular Match Game. At the same time, the ratings for OLTL were rising, and AMC was the #1 soap. In 1976, ABC switched the OLTL and GH, making the higher ranked OLTL the lead-in for GH when both soaps expanded to 45 minutes.

• Members

Just imagine if soaps got these kinds of numbers today:

1981-1982 Season

• 1. General Hospital 11.2 (1981: November 16–17: 30 million viewers; Nov. 16-20 HH: 16.0)
  • 2. All My Children 9.4 (November 16–20, 1981 HH: 10.2)
  • 3. One Life to Live 9.3 (November 16–20, 1981 HH: 10.2)
  • 4. Guiding Light 8.0
  • 5. As the World Turns 7.4
  • 6. The Young and The Restless 7.4
  • 7. Ryan's Hope 6.9
  • 8. Search for Tomorrow (final CBS run on March 26, 1982) 6.8
  • 9. Capitol 5.8 (Debut)
  • 10. Days of our Lives 5.5
  • 11. The Edge Of Night 5.0
  • 12. Another World 4.7
  • 13. Texas 3.6
  • 14. Search for Tomorrow (Begins NBC run on March 29, 1982) 3.4
  • 15. The Doctors 3.3