Gordon Russell's Work on OLTL

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes. Karen really brought that antiheroine flavor to OLTL, I think. And then they built other outsiders around her, they lived at Ina's (?) boarding house. I think this was an important step forward for soaps because there are many viewers who cannot and do not want to invest in the idea of a core family, yet that does not mean they resent this family. They see them as the people they look at through a window. Karen, Marco, etc. were the people looking through the window at the "haves". But this was not written as pitting them against or heavily resenting those people, at least not after a while. There was that balance of family by blood and family/friendship by hard knocks.

I think that outsider flavor and the raw pain are what made Judith Light stand out and made her seem so real in a genre of big hair and makeup and restraint.

That contrast is so important. I remember a clip where Ed Hall was encouraging Katrina Karr to keep looking for jobs, no matter what pitfalls she might face because of her background, and he basically told her that he had never let his being black stop him from doing the best he could even if overall society held it against him. A lot of shows would never have had that perspective.

• Members

I have no idea about the latter but Tony was created for GR.

Also don't know, but I do know that some people at the show, at least, believed Meredith was not Victor's daughter, that Eugenia had had a love child. This supposedly was either referenced by one of the staff in an interview at the time or almost made it in magazine summaries, or something, but I don't believe it got on air other than occasionally being vaguely implied. Information on this is very unclear.

The last time I can remember is one of the recent Christmas holidays when Viki gave the girls Viki and Merrie's ornaments, but I have a much clearer recognition of her telling Natalie about Merrie in early 2003 and saying that with Jessica gone, only she and Natalie were left to carry on. This was a prelude to the show bringing back Joey, Kevin and BW's Jessica.

• Members

You might mean Vinnie. He died in the early '80s in what sounds like a dumb story and was, I believe, in Heaven.

There's another bit of OLTL gossip relating to that character and one of the leads but I won't repeat it.

Archived