AMC: Sara Bibel is a fan again!

• Members

:wacko::wacko:

OK the show has made HUGE improvements. But as usual, I think Sara Bibel is smoking crap when she decides to talk about my fave soap... She's right about many of the improvements (though I'm not sure the turnaround really happened all in just one week like she says, it'sbeen a slow build throughout Jan, IMHO), and again, say what you will about Pratt but her description of his AMC as the darkest soap opera of all time is ludicruous...

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/2010/deep-soap/deep-soap-what-a-difference-a-week-makes/

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I thought it would be hard to top some of McTavish's work, but I have to agree. That, tied to Dena's repetitive pacing and slow storytelling (and that she managed to make tricky stories like child molestation and rape as icky and offensive as possible) made me actually not watch the show weeks on end.

• Members

Pratt's AMC for me brought a lot of characters out of character, and was filled with a lot of missed opportunities. It was a hot mess, that could have been cleaner if handled more efficiently and with enough brain cells.

Totally agree! Especially with the bolded statement above! As I read her column praising the show..it just didn't seem original to me at all.

• Members

That's fair enough, re Pratt, and something I'd agree with somewhat, my objection is her onlya nd endless critique of pratt has been how dark and dark and dark and dark and dark he made AMC. When he made it significantly lighter than it had been (even campy) under McTavish or B/E. Justanother thing that makes me think she never watched it...

• Members

Darkest of all time?

I would say JFP's OLTL. Malone's 2003-2004 run was also up there. *

* I skipped most of the Higley years.

I also thought 1997 was a very heavy year for AMC. I am still traumatized by those flashbacks of Tanner drugging and raping Hayley. And the stuff with Jim Thomasen and Laura and Jim causing the boy who'd done photos with Laura to OD. Very dark.

Archived