AMC: Actress not returning!!

• Members

AMC and GH's insistence on featuring their highest paid actors over their guarantees is the likely the reason they are scrambling behind the scenes to make production cuts. I'll never understand why they refuse to balance out the airtime if only to save their budget.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly. Think over the span of 7 years how much they've spent paying out vets' contracts with them being WAY under their guarantees.

Julia Barr for example I am sure had somewhere around 100 episode guarantee.... since Frons came aboard, I think the highest episode count in a year she got was maybe 60?

• Members

I was never a big Kendall fan, SMG or AM version, due to her origin and the handling of that when the character first came around. I'll probably take some heat for this, but I never liked the idea that AMC played that Erica had to love Kendall because she gave birth to her. That just left a sour taste in my mouth. While I came to respect that Erica was able to love her as her daughter, I always felt like there was this air of "as soon as you don't treat me right, I'm going to throw my origins back in your face" and I never liked it.

I think AM grew a lot as an actress while she was on the show, and that she brought something really different to Kendall. Once they bogged her down with Zach, and literally took them both to hell and back in the name of their "true (twist) love" I stopped caring in general.

I don't think AMC is going to miss AM or Kendall nearly as much as some thing. I do wish Alicia all the best in life and her career. :)

• Members

Agreeded, Kylie. While I think I enjoyed the Kendall/Erica story more than you did, it always rang very false with me to have Erica and Kendall so close as mother and daughter. It felt somewhat forced. I always preferred them at odds...... Overall I enjoyed the original Kendall played by SMG, but Minshew was able to put a definitive stamp on the role (if not only for the fact she played the role for 8 years almost). As I have said though, Kendall post Zach is a Kendall I really could have done without. They did more damage to the long term future of this show than they HELPED in the short term. I think AMC will be just fine without her.

As JackPeyton also pointed out, the show was kidding themselves the majority of the time trying to make Alicia a leading actress... She was perfectly sufficient as a supporting role (the reason why that's the only emmy nomination she could get) She wasn't an AWFUL actress, but she certainly wasn't leading lady material.

• Members

When AM first joined the show, it was a bit odd how Erica had orchestrated that whole slapping her across the face thing, and then was all tender to her in private... I know they buried the hatchet when SMG's Kendall left town with Del (a tearful SMG: "My mother forgives me..."), but I don't recall nary a mention or any sort of indication that Erica maintained a relationship with Kendall during those years she was off the show. Relationships need more than a goodbye "You're forgiven" scene for things to be copacetic after seven years with no relationship. I didn't really mind it, and I'm not saying that Erica and Kendall were all hunky dory, but it was still a little weird.

I like AM, there are some little actor quirks of hers that bug me like the stammering, but as Kendall became a more sympathetic character during her run, I must say she was missing that special element that made SMG's Kendall so enjoyable for me. SMG just struck me as being a very precocious bordering on annoying child actor type back then, I used to watch her on Swans Crossing. Her Kendall could be so earnest and a little OTT, she was ALWAYS setting herself up to get her feelings hurt and there was just something compelling about that kind of broken young girl who you felt a *little* sorry for but took so much joy in seeing things blow up in her face.

• Members

I will definitely miss Alicia, she's been a huge part of the AMC cast for the last eight years, but I definitely saw this coming. I was hoping to get her back by summer, but wasn't meant to be. I will miss her. Just hope they open the door for her return in the future (that means: don't recast or kill the character!).

• Members

So much for AM not returning LOL:

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/

Zach and Kendall Return to AMC!

Alicia Minshew, who is currently on an extended maternity leave from AMC after giving birth to daughter Willow last November, and Thorsten Kaye, who opted not to continue on AMC as Zach in the wake of the show's move from New York to Los Angeles, are making a short-term return to Pine Valley. She will first air on April 9; his first air date is April 13. Minshew tells Digest, "I don't know what the story holds for Zach and Kendall other than that they come back happy and together. I think these episodes will be more about Kendall dealing with Greenlee, who knows that Kendall slept with Ryan and knows that Kendall ran her off the road! So, there's plenty of drama there, and I can't wait!" The actress reports that she agreed to fly out to L.A. to tape these shows when AMC EP Julie Hanan Carruthers agreed to fly out her baby and husband, as well, and that Kaye surprised her by agreeing to join her. "He said, 'If you go, I'll go!' I've been seeing him all the time — I saw him yesterday, in fact — but the chance to do scenes with him again ... I couldn't be more excited."

• Members

Thanks for posting.

I never thought that a short-term visit was out of the question (not sure if anyone did). But I actually think it will be great stuff to see play out what Minshew says is the reason for the return, which is Greenlee confronting Kendall about repeatedly boinking Ryan :excl: only a couple of weeks after she ran Greenlee off the road. :excl::excl:

That's the kind of gold I live for with these shows! :)

• Members

Um, not to break the spirit of people reading this, but I'm pretty sure they're only coming back because they legally have to. The LA credits indicate Kaye's contract has not ran out yet, and we know Minshew is still with the show, so maybe they'd get sued if they didn't appear for their filming dates? LOL

Archived