OLTL: Discussion for the week January 18

• Members

Bullshit.

Look at the straws you're grasping at. Marty's "past" is damn near 20 years ago. I would think that being raped *twice* by the same monster, who also used and abused you and withheld important information from you regarding your...I don't know...your LIFE! would entitle you to saw his balls off with an extremely small butter knife.

She's a TEENAGER! A TEENAGER!! I'm not even a fan of Starr's, but geez. She made the mistake of having unprotected sex with her boyfriend. Teenagers do that! And she got pregnant! Teenagers do that, too! I think it speaks volumes that she felt the need to hide her pregnancy and basically run away from her father. A choice completely validated by the fact that he stole the child and let her think she was dead. He did this to his own daughter! His daughter! I'm sorry, but that is NOT appropriate punishment for spreading your legs for you boyfriend. Sorry, but no. Just no. Todd is the worst father currently in daytime, and if Starr is fucked up, it's because of his influence in her life.

Again. Cole is a TEENAGER. Driving drunk and endangering lives with his involvement with drugs were unforgivable actions, and he deserves to be taken to task for both, but I do not see how any of this puts him on the same level as the man who (1) raped his mother, (2) raped his mother, and (3) kept his thought-to-be-dead mother locked up in his house when he could have told the boy that his mom was alive.

He's in no position to shake his finger at anybody. Bullshit. Todd had the kid believing that two of the most important people in his life, his mother and his daughter, were DEAD. DEAD. No excuse for doing drugs, but DAMN, I tend to think that he wouldn't have been a junkie if he had had some kind of HOPE in his life. Pun intended!

Todd is lucky that he and Cole are soap characters and not real people because Cole should really have beat the ever-loving [!@#$%^&*] out of Todd.

They are!! They are!! They're SHITTONS better than him. None of them are saints in any way at all (no soap character is! not even Viki! not even Nancy Hughes!), but they all deserve better than a rapist/abuser/kidnapper. If Todd was truly aware of the pain he's inflicted on people, then he'd voluntarily take himself out of their lives until he gets the help he so desperately needs. He can be redeemed. Anyone can be redeemed. It would just take lots and lots of careful and HONEST storytelling.

And notice. Notice! Notice! That you have NOTHING to say about Tea. I wonder why!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not saying that REG would care about the ratings. I'm saying that OLTL is in really dire straits and not even close to being where it once was. IMO she would want to consider carefully whether it's worth it to put herself through the racist hate mail, fanwars, death threats, etc... especially now that she has a child. Theatre and the occasional primetime gig offer her more visibility, fewer headaches and flexibility. Plus, most of the soap actors who have been able to successfully transition into other parts of the entertainment industry were only on soaps for a relatively short period of time. Nathan Fillion, Jessica Tuck, Michelle Forbes all did short stints then moved on.

• Members

Bullshit.

Yes I agree that it IS bullshit when posters try to give characters with shiesty backgrounds moral high-ground and plays down their faults just to hypocritically spite another character they personally dislike.

Look at the straws you're grasping at. Marty's "past" is damn near 20 years ago. I would think that being raped *twice* by the same monster, who also used and abused you and withheld important information from you regarding your...I don't know...your LIFE! would entitle you to saw his balls off with an extremely small butter knife.

Point taken but that still doesn't make it any less annoying how someone whose roots are in rogue is universally embraced as Mother Superior simply because karma caught up with her and she became a victim.

She's a TEENAGER! A TEENAGER!! I'm not even a fan of Starr's, but geez. She made the mistake of having unprotected sex with her boyfriend. Teenagers do that! And she got pregnant! Teenagers do that, too! I think it speaks volumes that she felt the need to hide her pregnancy and basically run away from her father. A choice completely validated by the fact that he stole the child and let her think she was dead. He did this to his own daughter! His daughter! I'm sorry, but that is NOT appropriate punishment for spreading your legs for you boyfriend. Sorry, but no. Just no. Todd is the worst father currently in daytime, and if Starr is fucked up, it's because of his influence in her life.

I don't care if she is a teenager. Starr is a hyperactive, self-centered, coddled little snot nosed bitch who can't be told ANYTHING & had a police record by the time she was hit puberty. She should have gotten slapped in her loud mouth when she was caught in bed with Cole after sneaking out at night to an abandoned house while everybody thought she was sleep (with Langston in her bed covering for her) to play Blair. Justifying "she's a TEENAGER...she's TEENAGER" is just another way of trying to whitewash a character to spite Todd....not all teenagers act like her. Not all teenage girls get pregnant @ 16 by junkie losers & run away for "she's a TEENAGER" to work as an EXCUSE. She SHOULD have run away....in shame....and when they caught her, she should have had her lil nasty butt shipped off to a detention center for brats whose undisciplined ways got them knocked up! Instead tho we were treated to months of Blair smiling & placating her in between trying to find a "worlds greatest grandma" t-shirt that shows off cleavage. Todd BTW did NOT steal her child and let her think it was dead. Todd realized that it would be an egregious thing to do, couldn't go thru w/ it and called the whole thing off....Bess, however....

Again. Cole is a TEENAGER. Driving drunk and endangering lives with his involvement with drugs were unforgivable actions, and he deserves to be taken to task for both, but I do not see how any of this puts him on the same level as the man who (1) raped his mother, (2) raped his mother, and (3) kept his thought-to-be-dead mother locked up in his house when he could have told the boy that his mom was alive. He's in no position to shake his finger at anybody. Bullshit. Todd had the kid believing that two of the most important people in his life, his mother and his daughter, were DEAD. DEAD. No excuse for doing drugs, but DAMN, I tend to think that he wouldn't have been a junkie if he had had some kind of HOPE in his life. Pun intended!

Todd is lucky that he and Cole are soap characters and not real people because Cole should really have beat the ever-loving [!@#$%^&*] out of Todd.

OK and AGAIN the "TEENAGER" thing does not impress me. Frankly I don't care! He knew what he was doing was wrong and if you KNOW what you're doing is wrong but do it anyway....then no matter how old you are...to quote Kyle....."you need an ass whoopin.'" And I didn't say that ANYTHING he did puts him on the same "level" as Todd but if ur rap sheet is as tainted as Cole's is then you are STILL in NO position to act stuck up....or be treated like you do. What was his excuse for using steroids? That was before Todd ever did anything to him....oh I forget he's a "TEENAGER".....record expunged. Speaking of allowing someone to think their loved one is dead....I seem to recall COLE aiding and abetting Miles keeping Todd hidden while everyone was searching for him. I guess what goes around comes around 2x doesn't it?

They are!! They are!! They're SHITTONS better than him. None of them are saints in any way at all (no soap character is! not even Viki! not even Nancy Hughes!), but they all deserve better than a rapist/abuser/kidnapper. If Todd was truly aware of the pain he's inflicted on people, then he'd voluntarily take himself out of their lives until he gets the help he so desperately needs. He can be redeemed. Anyone can be redeemed. It would just take lots and lots of careful and HONEST storytelling.

They aren't!! They aren't!! Whenever Todd takes himself out of their lives or lays low, they usually come LOOKING for him....so obviously they DON'T deserve better than him. Blair (who thanks to Todd is a multi-MILLIONAIRE and can afford her own place or at least a hotel room) takes the kids and walks out on Dorian....where does she wind up? At Todd's. When Starr has her mind set on something and Cole can't control her....who does he run to? Todd. A post-raped Marty needs someone to help her in Ireland....who does she call? Todd. People are about as good as the company they keep! These people are addicted to Todd and the drama that comes with him because they themselves are as screwed up in the head as he is. AND if they're gonna keep on going to him for shelter, money, backup, sex (Blair), etc., etc., then that gives him the right to throw his weight around with them....and when he does something that burns them then IMO they asked for it. Don't play with a rabid dog if you don't want rabies.

And notice. Notice! Notice! That you have NOTHING to say about Tea. I wonder why!

There was no need to. Currently she's not (and doesn't get treated like she's) part of the self-righteous, hypocritical lynch mob who thinks that she's better than another....while oblivious to her own flaws. So wonder no more. THAT's why I didn't bring her up. She knows she's not perfect and doesn't pretend to be either....

• Members

Please. Do not try to turn my head with "Look at what Starr and Cole and Marty have done! They have no right to wag a finger at Todd!"

The point is that all of these charges against those characters that you are bringing up did NOT inflict pain and misery on Todd. Todd's actions HAVE inflicted pain and misery on them. Unless, of course, Starr getting pregnant put Todd through emotional trauma. Unless, of course, Marty being a "bad girl" when Murder She Wrote was still on the air put Todd through emotional trauma. Unless, of course, Cole drinking and driving and putting Matthew Buchanan and his family through emotional trauma also put Todd through emotional trauma.

So, no, none of them are shoe-ins for a Llanviewer of the Year award (I want an onscreen credit when you write this storyline, RC!) but when it comes to whether or not they have the right to voice their feelings about a man who has indeed put all three of them (and others, including you, TEA!) through emotional trauma, then yes, they have every single right to tell him exactly how they feel about his oool' bitchazzz.

PS: And yes, age DOES matter because Starr and Cole are young soap characters, still transitioning out of adolescence, and they WILL make mistakes, mistakes that they will have to live with. But, hopefully, they will learn and grow. Todd is a grown ass man with four children and he still has a cloud of misery and all around stank following him EVERYWHERE.

And if RC was writing this [!@#$%^&*] the way it should be written, then no, Blair and Starr and Marty and everyone else would leave his ass in his depressing little corner where he needs to be. But RC is clearly not interested in showing a realistic tale of people who have been hurt time and time again by the same jackass.

• Members

Whoops....somebody is alseep on the job over at ABC. At the OLTL page at ABC MeidaNet, they have uploaded a couple of images of scenes from today's show. Anyway, in the caption for the ones that include Police Commissioner Stanley Lowell they incorrectly list him as being portrayed by Jack Rovello.

Remember that Rovello is the teenage actor who portrayed his drug-selling son Justin last year. Stan Lowell is played by Kevin O'Rourke. A careless mistake, or is Justin Lowell returning to the canvas soon as well? LOL

• Members

Marc....you almost sound like you hate all the characters on this show...is there anyone you do like? Why are you watching this show?

And I don't mean that at all to sound sarcastic, I am sincerely curious what it is that you do like from the show. Everyone has their own reasons for tuning in. I've said before that I have never liked Todd or Trevor St. John really, but I definitely see your point that people do trash the character a lot when others aren't that innocent either. Maybe it is just because it seems Todd is on 24/7, just like John and Rex, and so much revolves around the character...so that's why people are more annoyed by him. I don't know.

• Members

I'm not trying to turn your head with anything. But I REFUSE to turn a blind eye to the blatant faults....or play down the questionable history....of the characters some posters hypocritically champion to regularly spite Todd! The POINT is that they've all done egregious things....have inflicted their own brand of misery....caused chaos & deserve some of it inflicted back on them. If just happens to come by way of Todd then so be it....they still deserve it. I think Todd deserved Margaret's wrath when he played w/her to destroy Kevin. See how that works? You reap what you sow. Far as age goes....nope not budging on that...they knew better than some of the deliberately wrong things they've done but did it anyway. When Cole and Starr hit their 20s and are STILL acting the same way and are STILL doing stupid or reprehensible things....what will be their excuse then? Knowing some people here it'll be TODD. What else?

Finally....however RC should or shouldn't be writing these characters is all an opinion and neither here nor there! The BOTTOM LINE is that the way he actually IS writing them....(good bad or whatever)....becomes part of their reality & is a burden that THEY have to live down. So saying Blair or Starr "deserve better" than being around Todd when they @ least 1/2 of the time seek him out & consort with him....notwithstanding the "misery" he's inflicted on them....is a contradiction. I don't know if Todd SHOULD be left alone in a corner....but I do know that he ISN'T....and until the day comes that he is, I'll hold ALL the characters in his harem equally responsible for their part in fueling the drama happening with him! If their noses aren't clean then using them as tools to try & exact contempt @ Todd is just plain pious.

"Blair deserves better...."...."why is she lowering herself for Todd"...etc...etc...

The answer is that because beyond sex, no other man will have her because she is as crazy as he is.

Again....if someone knowingly plays with a rabid dog then when they get bit they are AS MUCH at fault for now having rabies as the dog is for giving it to them.

I don't hate everyone on the show. Even some of the characters I named here like Blair/Nora/Marty...I sometimes like....not usually....but sometimes. I watch the show out of habit. Despite me being a Todd fan, here I've called him out as "scum"...."screwed up in the head"....and compared him to a rabid dog. Unlike some others are w/ their pets....I'm not naive when it comes to him....I recognize how dirty he can be and actually is. I accept that they are all soap characters and that soap characters in general must be flawed and must do stupid things that real people know better than to make the drama work....so even when I'm annoyed I hardly am ever morally offended by what happens on screen. It's just a PEEVE of mine when some online posters deliberately go out of their way to smite the characters they hate while hypocritically turning a blind eye to....or play down....the individual faults & questionable actions of other characters....(especially the one's the like)....in the SAME situation. When I see THAT it personally makes me wanna cling to Todd's defense more!

• Members

I think Marc loves Todd and Tea and that's just about it. This appears to be his rationale. Starr, a relatively innocent teenage girl who, like a thousand girls her age, had sex with her boyfriend, deserved it when Todd knocked her down the stairs a couple months pregnant and then tried to steal her baby to raise with his brain-damaged rape victim because...she was giving him lip. Blair, who started out on the show as a gold-digging vixen but grew to become devoted to Todd and then their family, and changed her life to be the one stable parent for their children, and has been shat on Todd a hundred times doesn't really have a leg to stand on because...she has an active sex life and pulled a paternity scam on him in 1994, before they really sealed the deal and became a true husband and wife to one another. Cole, whose mother Todd raped twice and whose parents Todd hounded almost to their graves in 1997, deserves what he got from Todd because...he had a drug problem, which he overcame in treatment. And Marty, who Todd raped twice, deserved it because...she rejected Todd in 1993 and was a bitch in the early '90s, before Todd existed. Is this about the size of it?

Tea knows what Todd is, and doesn't care. She enables it, excuses it, enjoys it. She came back to hand-wave his second rape of Marty Saybrooke and then she married him. That has always been one of the most darkly compelling things about her character to me; Tea just does not care. She enjoys the sickness of Todd and being sick with him. Unfortunately, even when OLTL seems to sometime get these story points, like the other day when Marty assailed Todd in her office, or Tea is shown in a less than angelic but infinitely more interesting light, they always turn around and shy away from the truth in a limp attempt to keep Todd viable. It is impossible now because of Tarty.

And BTW, it is more and more slipshod by the day. On Wednesday and Thursday, Matthew was calling Todd a monster and the worst thing that could happen to Dani. Cole was not too keen about Todd either. On Friday, of course, it becomes a different story. They don't know how to handle Todd on any given day anymore. So the question is, how are scenes like those with Marty at her office getting through the filter?

Archived