Theater Owners Name Sandra Bullock 2009's Top Star

JaneAusten

• Members

Over the years, I have rather enjoyed the broad OTT comedies of what has been described as Meryl's "Hollywood period". She-Devil (Eric, it never crossed my mind, but I can totally see how you made a John Waters connection) and Death Becomes Her, oh my Lord, she makes such hilariously delicious acting choices in these movies, I think she does extremely well with that type of material.

I really enjoyed Doubt, we watched it at home, but you could sense that in the theatre people were probably whispering and nudging one another during the first five minutes of Meryl's performance, there was definitely an, "Oh, look at Meryl do her thing!" vibe about it. I was a total sucker though for her final moment, and I know that Cherry said she was surprised to see what Meryl did with it, her Sister Al

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love Sandra Bullock, been a fan since Speed. I haven't liked some of the movie's she has done over the years, but I'm glad to see her getting honors like this :D

You summed up what I love about Meryl Streep. Even if the movie sucks, she adds so much more to it.

• Members

this is interesting. I dont think that *most* people go to see a SB movie just because she is in it. I do think that she has her fans that will see anything shes in, as does everyone, but i also feel she got lucky with her movies this year.

However, i do think that most of MS's fans will go see her in anything.

I like them both. They both have good and bad movies.

I just watched Death Becomes Her, what an awesomely awful movie.

Oh, and all about steve was so bad i, along with at least 10 other people, left. I dont think ive ever left a movie before.

• Members

Meryl's on the Vanity Fair cover, it's a pretty good interview with her, and lots of photos. It's a puff piece, but still, a good read.

During the years when I thought Meryl was the Serious Actress, sort of above us all on a cloud, I was touched when I read about her relationship with John Cazale. He filmed his last movie, The Deer Hunter, while he was dying of bone cancer. When the studio found out, they insisted he be replaced, but Meryl said if he went, so did she. That was quite a risk, as that was one of the movies which started making her famous. She helped him in his final months and they seemed to be deeply in love. I don't know how someone picks themselves up and goes on from that. I don't know how often she talks about that relationship; I've seen her mention it a few times.

He called her the "delicious robot."

• Members

I love her, actually. I really do. But I'm not actually sure she is hyped: from what I seen she's often called dumb and playing Rachel in every role in various degrees — subdued or totally over-the-top. But she also played a cashier in that low-budget film The Good Girl and Tina Harrod on Dirt and was praised for portaying Nina Borowski. I guess she's limited, OK, but she doesn't have that annoying Bullock smile and obnoxious roles (for me at least): Speed, Miss Congeniality and Practical Magic. She fails so badly for me (Sandra Bullock) that instead of being amusing and fun, she ends up inspiring me to throw tomatoes at her. Rotten ones.

I think Jennifer Aniston also directed a short film, but I'm not sure.

You?

• Members

Opposite ends again I guess. But I do dislike Angelina with a passion. But Jennifer Aniston is disappointing. When she did The Good Girl I thought wow she might actually have an interesting career but she now seems to me to be taking the standard ROMCOM route Meg Ryan did. She seems so concerned with staying in the public eye, that she'll take almost any part now. Every year she seems to have one nondescript film after another come out. Almost like I used to feel about Bullock. The difference with Bullock is while she did a lot of ROMCOM's, she also started a while back producing some of her own work starting I think with Miss Congeniality. As to box office appeal, I can't imagine horrid movies like Premonition or All About Steve making any money if she wasn't in them. I think both topped 50 million which considering how terrible they were is an accomplishment.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived