2010: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
B&B should have expanded to an hour years ago and strengthened it's position for future survival. Even with being an Emmy winning, high-rated "darling," that's not gonna mean anything if CBS wants to replace that show with lower-cost programming or if CBS affiliates lobby to expand their newscasts and CBS is forced to give that over to the affiliates.

I should also clarify that I mean the show sticks out as a sore thumb of a half-hour on the schedule, which is why I don't think it's safe, despite the fact that it wins awards and critical acclaim. The show's demos are a nightmare and about half of the show's affiliates in the U.S. sandwich a half-hour news program between it and sister show Y&R. If enough affiliates cobble together and want to use that half-hour for news, B&B is in trouble.

The Emmy wins are merely a band-aid on a much larger problems for the network and the show itself.

• Members

I think Bell has clung to half hour like a liferaft because he knows he doesn't have the ability to write an hour show. He never has. He lost any ability to write a half-hour show about eight years ago. Most glaring is his failure with new characters. Once his father's creations died out or were written out, there was very little left. That's one of the reasons they end up begging Susan Flannery to stay.

• Members

Well, at least something appears to be doing well (or being received well).

Days Of Our Lives has well and truly lost the steam it built up in the latter part of 2009.

And finding some Y&R footage for the first time in ages, I couldn't believe what I was watching...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived