2010: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think some writers definitely have a unique way of writing and you can tell. It helps though that Y&R lists their breakdown writers, you can go back to past episodes from these same breakdown writers and compare them to ones they've written more recently. It's the fairest way, I think, to judge breakdown writers.

I'm in the opposite direction, I think when a show's stories suck, the time for the breakdown writers and script writers to step up to the plate is then.

It's widely known that Santa Barbara was never the best or most cohesive show story-wise, but the show had such unique characterization and snappy dialogue for most of those early years that set it apart from everything else in daytime and masked the hell out of some of those ridiculous stories. In other words, for years, it was the day to day writing that brought critical acclaim and consistency to the show.

I know it's unfair for us to compare UK and US soaps, but just the other day, Sylph and I were discussing former EastEnders writer Sarah Phelps in the EastEnders thread. That show hit a very rough patch story-wise from 2003 to 2006. However, the one thing fans could always count on was Sarah Phelps delivering a killer episode. The press in the UK was so against the show at the time, there was a huge backlash as to why the show had gotten so stale, the only thing they could agree about during this time was that writers like Sarah Phelps, Simon Ashdown, and Tony Jordan could be counted on to deliver episodes that transcended the bad storylines and made people know why they liked or why they were entertained by these characters in the first place.

Some parts I loved from her interview with Walford Web:

http://www.walfordweb.co.uk/item.php?id=2357

But Toups, those were all special events episodes and their aftermath. It's pretty hard to screw up special events like funerals, though it's been done. I think the true test of a writing team is when there isn't some funeral or wedding going on, when there's build up to a story and the characters feel true to themselves.

I guess we approach this from opposite ends.

Maybe at past shows, but personally, other than say Janice Ferri Esser and Natalie Minardi Slater, have the others proven anything at Y&R? :unsure:

• Members

Well that's the last time I mention you know who. He is taboo around here or can't be talked badly about. My point is that ATWT script writers are doing a much better job than Y&R is doing. It's a shame the HW at ATWT never got axed cause the day to day writing of ATWT is good. I can't say that about Y&R.

Some of Y&R's script today....

Nick: You doing ok

Sharon: I am fine

Phyliss: Lets's go

NicL; See ya.....

Not exact but the show didnt flow......Nick used the word ...Yo leaving..or something like that..sounded so stupid....lol

• Members

Anyway, I really hope Penelope Koechl didn't just come back to daytime to say goodbye to ATWT. She's a stellar scriptwriter, I've always thought so. I hope another show can benefit from her talent with ATWT's demise, but then again, maybe ATWT was the show she just "got" and it won't be the same on other shows.

I don't watch any of the US soaps regularly anymore, so maybe I shouldn't even care...

• Members

Well, he must've done something! If he was there for several months. Right? :mellow:

Furthermore, do you remember the infamous rumour about one of his suggestions? At which apparently everybody laughed in the writers' room. :unsure:

• Administrator

Yeah, those were specific episodes. But even if you look at an ordinary episode from Jan-July and then one of September and on, there was a difference. The show was much better.

Yeah, I guess we do. I believe that better storylines leads to better breakdowns which leads to better scripts which leads to great episodes.

• Administrator

You also have to remember that SW's don't write every word of the script. The scripts go to script editors who make changes, and then it goes through more hands. I don't think Script Editors get enough credit for the good or bad that comes out of scripts. That's why I stopped blaming script writers for certain words in a dialogue because there's a chance they never even wrote it. And I know this is hypocritical, but if it's positive, I'll totally give the SW credit! LOL :lol:

• Members

Sharon/Nick/Phyllis scenes although not intense as Barbara and Emily today but it was like night and day........... The Em/Babs scenes were miles better than the crap between the Sharon/Nick/Phyliss triangle. I felt like I was watching a boring play with Y&R today while ATWT seemed so much more soapy to me. Even the supposedly intense Victor/Adam scenes fell flat...like who cares moments.

Archived