Scenes That Rubbed You The Wrong Way, But Had A Different Intent

• Members

So, today's Y&R contained a vile, unnecessary scene done purely for shock value (nothing new regarding Y&R in its current incarnation), but the scene was about Adam purposely knocking down and ruining a drawing Cassie had given to Sharon over a decade ago, a drawing of their family. Anyway, the scene was entirely unnecessary and was probably done to show how scummy the Adam character is, but again, we didn't need it to get that Adam is flat cartoon villain.

The sad thing is, the painting itself served as a reminder of the close family dynamic both Cassie and Sharon once had, and the kind Y&R and soaps don't do anymore. Maybe it's a pet peeve of mine, but that drawing was a lot more than a simple "drawing" on the show, as MarkH said, it was a character in itself. Added to this, Y&R showed a flashback right after Adam ruined the drawing of Cassie giving the drawing to Sharon, which further rubbed in how unnecessary and done purely shock value this whole scene was, and at the end of the episode, stupid Sharon got over it to embrace "change." :rolleyes:

To me, this scene also reaffirmed the nasty misogyny on this show, of how Adam continues to manipulate Sharon and use her, even after stealing her baby and giving it to another woman, while making her believe the baby is dead.

Anyway, what are some scenes that might have had a different intent by the writers, but just totally rubbed you the wrong way?

You can see the scene I'm taking about 6:39 into this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-kH23Og5uU

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3ANMu7vcao

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If that was their intention, they certainly didn't present it that way. There is no way I can buy Sharon getting over it by the end of the episode to embrace "change" and the way it played out, it seemed like it was about making Adam seem more cartooney and vile, while Nick comes in afterwards helping Sharon pick up the pieces (literally and emotionally), to make him seem like some big hero and protector of Sharon (though she kicks him out soon after).

But wouldn't the fact Adam already kidnapped Sharon's baby, making her believe it's dead, and giving it to Ashley already establish making viewers feel outraged by this pairing anyway?

I just didn't understand the meaning behind wrecking an important symbol on the show and in Sharon's life as a character on the show. Why did they need to push it? Was it necessary?

The whole premise of Sharon and Adam's horrible relationship is to make viewers feel outraged. They really didn't need to do this at all to get this point across, as Julia said in the Potpourri thread.

• Members

Any scene which involves "let's laugh at the loser." I just hate it, especially if those doing the laughing have little room to stand on. Low points include the endless scenes of Ryan family members sneering and laughing at Delia on RH (even when losers like Johnny Ryan borrowed money from Delia to keep his bar from going under), and anything on Y&R which involves the Chancellors laughing at Jill. I hated the scenes at the Lane wedding where people stood around just basically pointing and laughing at Jill.

In recent years, I would also include the scenes where Chloe ripped into Esther when we found out they were mother and daughter. I think someone at Y&R had the idea that we would weep with Chloe, who had the shame of being a maid's daughter and being put in a boarding school, but the whole thing was just so ugly and even though I'm not a huge Esther fan, to see Esther trotted out just to be verbally abused did nothing for me.

Any number of scenes at GH, including, Lulu telling Lucky she would choose Johnny over him any time, anything with Luke/Ethan, Luke laughing at Lucky being brainwashed by Helena, Luke telling us being a cop or raising kids who don't share your blood makes you a loser. And the embarrassing scenes of Tony Geary swooning over JJ's return. Going back further, nothing made me angrier than the endless scenes of people telling AJ he was an awful father and Jason had to raise Michael because...they said so. Emily in particular became the most annoying brat of all time.

Various scenes of people talking about how Adam on AMC is the world's worst father and Tad is a hero.

I guess we can also count the - "A man can't be raped, this is FUNNY. LAUGH!" garbage with Jack on ATWT and Jax on Y&R.

• Members

Any scene on AMC where Erica Kane bats her eyes and proceeds to flirt with some hapless man who, of course, is rendered powerless in the face of her feminine wiles. I know the writers want the viewers to believe that Erica's allure is timeless but I've always found it pathetic that a 60+ year old grandmother would act the same way she did when she was 20 no matter how beautiful she is.

• Members

This is such shoddy writing that there is really no way to explain it, condone it, sell it as superb and "misunderstood"...

But even as it continues to sink into deep mud, a much more surprising thing is that people at Sony are either wide asleep or not interested. :mellow: Why aren't people intervening here? I guess we'll have to wait for the ratings to delicine even more...

• Members

Remember P&G. Brad Bell tells us they told him they were trying to get out of the daytime business. It was no longer worth it to them. I'm sure that was part of the equation by which CBS cancelled ATWT.

So it seems to me that Sony is likely milking the last drops of ca$h out of Y&R, but has no interest in intervening or spending money. They'll let this ship continue on its current momentum to float into port, and then be grounded. Brad Bell implied that his family wanted their shows to continue...but I see no reason to believe the Sony is of similar mind. Two little shows in a paltry daytime division might actually be an irksome distraction away from core businesses.

• Members

You don't have to have a lot of money for decent writing. The soaps had next to no money when they started and yet clips of the old soaps from the 50s are better than a lot of what Y&R has been lately.

I just don't believe most of the people running Y&R care about the show. You can care about a show even if the suits don't. Instead, we get a lot of garbage and sickness which Rauch and Sheffer recycled from soap to soap to soap.

• Members

Yeah---you could never in a million years ever make fun of a woman being raped---not that it should be done anyway. But Jack's rape was offensive on so many levels, from PsychoJulia prancing around in Carly's negligee to Craig being on the phone to his insurance agent as Simon pulled Jack out to whine his freshly-detailed car was in the river---UGH.

And just the entire category of "let's rewrite this crime as the victim's fault" scenarios. ATWT did one with Adam this past summer that just gutted the entire story of Adam supposedly coming home a changed man. Basically, we were supposed to believe Adam deserved forgiveness because rebuilding war torn countries taught him a thing or two. Except, every move he made when he came "home" was a selfish and guilted Margo and Casey into covering for him. He got off of a rape charge (or attempted rape) because Maddie came back and apologized for "overreacting" to him trying to kiss Gwen--which "traumatized" him so much, he became a stalker/attempted rapist. *eyeroll*

• Members

Most recently on GH, Liz brought up her rape to Rebecca which was a ploy by GH to get us to feel sorry for her while she's acting like a whore. I didnt feel any sympathy for her at all and was more disgusted how she used her rape to cover up her cheating

• Members

I just watched the scene and I'm not entirely convinced he did it on purpose. He wasn't looking at the picture when he put his coat down. It could have been accidental. I assume TPTB purposely left that to the viewers' imagination.

AMAZING.

Just curious - have you seen B&B lately?

Archived