Isidingo and Generations

ReddFoxx

• Members

I'm not sure if these were discussed here before. I was browsing my cable guide and ran across a station called The Africa Channel and right now they are showing a block of a soap called Generations, when I saw it on the guide, I thought it was the old NBC soap at first. I'm watching it right now and it's filmed close to the style of US soap operas and seems pretty interesting. Tomorrow they'll be showing a block of another show called Isidingo. I'm not sure this station is on many cable systems now, but if you have it, check it out.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know much about these two, but I've seen bits and pieces of Egoli: Place of Gold, which I absolutely loved. This was months ago, though, so I don't remember much.

Are these entirely in English? Most of Egoli was, but every now and then, the characters would rant on and on in Afrikaans with subtitles.

• Members

Oh my! I see these have been airing at least a year and I hate I've missed it. Two soaps that actually won't be canceled, lol! I really would like to watch, but I don't have cable so that won't work. It'll have to find a way to watch them online. Honestly...this is making me wanna get cable now. Generations looks particularly fierce.

• Members

I'm scratching my head trying to remember if it was on the news or an AOL/Yahoo front page story, but I watched or read a piece on Generations a few months back, all about the rise and popularity of soap programming in Africa and in the middle east. I also thought the title was an interesting choice, my first instinct that it was *borrowed* from "our" Generations (which may or may not have been syndicated over there).

Egoli, isn't that the South African one Esta Terblanche starred in?

• Members

Each Egoli episode was filmed twice - once in an english/afrikaans mix and once only in English for the rest of Africa. But its been cancelled after 18 years and will go off the air in April.

Some interesting tidbits for you on Egoli:

Joan Collins guest starred as Catherine Sinclair on the soap in the early 90s, waaaaaay before her GL stint - so she had done daytime (well a daily soap, since Egoli aired at 6pm) before.

There were other cross overs with Loving, which aired on the same network at 5.30pm (the crossovers being from Loving to Egoli, not the other way around - I remember Jack Forbes being a past flame of Louwna lol!)

Yes it was. She was an original character but left the show after about 2 years.

• Members

Out of all the SA soaps, Isidingo is the best IMO - its a well balanced between the raw grittiness of UK soaps and the lush extravagence and wealth of American soaps. Cherel De Villers, played by Michelle Botes is one of the best villainesses ever written on any series. After she left the series, it kinda went downhill but its still on air I believe - I'll see for myself how good it still is when I go to SA again next year on holiday...

• Members

Well now I've just gone on a bit of a clip binge on YouTube. :P The last time I was home visiting, I noticed that we have the Africa network, I will definitely check these shows out when I go home for Christmas. I see that one of Isidingo's popular actresses died from injuries sustained in an auto accident last year.

These shows could be just as awful as what we have in the states, but one can't help but be excited and intrigued by their freshness to U.S. soap-weary eyes. And I'm a sucker for the accents, the black and white SA accents were my favorite to learn in drama school. :lol: As an aside, the producers of The Colbys had a particularly hard time casting Sable, and they mined SA talent as well.

• Members

Aw, it's been canceled? That sucks. I know they still had some original cast members there, like the lady who plays Neana, who is hilarious. I read something about them making a movie version of it. Is that still gonna happen or maybe they decided to do that in response to the cancellation?

I wish I could find some of the English-only episodes or more of the ones with the subtitles.

Archived