For figure skating fans

• Members

I think most cable companies carry the channel. It's part of the NBC/Universal family of channels. They broadcasted some of the Olympic events that weren't shown on NBC.

The good thing is that they carried the figure skating live and not as a primetime event. Good for us, but I guess bad for figure skating that it was banished to an obscure cable channel. Maybe the event will return to primetime if Evan decides to compete next year. He'll be a huge draw.

Edited by Jonathan

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thinking about it more, I'm not sure that Evan will continue to compete. Frank Carroll recently announced that he's leaving the Toyota Center in El Segundo and will instead coach out of Lake Arrowhead temporarily until a new facility is built in Cathedral City. The Toyota Center is 10 minutes from where Evan lives and Lake Arrowhead and Cathedral City are about two hours away. Will Evan go through the hassle of commuting or taking up temporary residence at Lake Arrowhead or Cathedral City to continue working with Frank? The same could be asked of Mirai, but she's just starting her career so I don't see her breaking away from Frank.

• Members

From what I heard the men's competition was a splatfest save for a few. The only 2 people I watched skate were Michal Brezina and Daisuke Takahasi. I thought that if Evan had competed he could have won a medal, maybe even defend his title.

Brain Joubert must be happier with his bronze medal this year than last year.

Out of the up and coming skaters, Michal Brezina is my favorite. If his career doesn't go the way Tomas Verner he should be okay. Patrick Chan should be a force in the next four years and Takahiko Kozuka should also be a contender. For the U.S, Adam Rippon and Brandon Mroz will probably end up being the top names.

I wonder how many people are going to end up retiring after this season? I'm thinking these people will retire soon or in two years: Lambiel, Lysacek, Weir, Abbott, Oda, Takahasi, Joubert, Verner, Contesti, and Van Der Perren.

• Members

• I expected these Worlds to be a little on the WTF side and they didn't disappoint.
  • I was really hoping that Mirai Nagasu would have pulled off the win, but if this helps her in the long run then I'm okay with it. I would hate for her to be like Kimmie Messiner and have everything go downhill.
  • Rachel Flatt's skating has a lot to be desired on the artistic side, but if her coaches make programs catered to her strengths (more on the power program side rather than pretty-pretty) then she should be okay.
  • Happy that Mao was able to pull off the win here. She seemed so disappointed after her free skate at Vancouver.
  • Yu-Na's meltdown was completely unexpected. Then again, I'm shocked she showed up in the first place. If she came back to win it, it would not have been a surprise.
  • Being a bad skating fan I have yet to see Laura Lepisto skate, but I haven't heard much good about her. Mainly people thinking she's being over scored, same criticism I've heard about Kostner.
  • I really wished the Japanese Federation would have let Yukari Nakano go to Worlds. Like the let Takahasi go to the Olympics and send Nobunari to Worlds.

• Members

There was speculation that she would do this. TT I know has been ill for some time and hasn't been able to give her students the attention that they require.

Incidentally, did you know that the long program music that Mao skated to was the same piece of music that Michelle Kwan was to skate to at the Torino Olympics, which was also choreographed by TT? I wish we could've have seen that long program of Michelle's.