For figure skating fans

• Members

I am surprised to see Kim Yu-Na so low on the list but I'm guessing she wasn't been able to train like she would like since the Olympics and all the pressure that goes along with that. Yeah for Mirai! She is one to watch for in 2014!

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I forgot about watching..... sad.gif

What ever happened to Kimmi Messiner? With skating not being on TV as much as it used to be I don't keep up with it like I used to.

I have something I'm hoping someone can help me with. There was an ice dancing (I think it was ice dance) pair in the late 80's/early 90's and the female had bright red hair. The problem is I can't remember what either of their names were, and I was wanting to watch some of their performances if there are any on YouTube....

• Members

She won the world title in 2006.

Was the national champion in 2007.

Finished 4th at the world championships in 2007.

She placed 7th at the national championships in 2008.

Had to withdraw because of injuries.

She was suppose to compete at Rostelecom Cup and at NHK Trophey, but had to withdraw from the national championships. Because of her withdrawals she didn't receive a bye to nationals. Unfortunately she was too late to register to compete at regional championships.

I hope that helps. In 2005 she was suppose to be the heir apparent to Michelle and Sasha, but outside of a lucky break at worlds 2006 she hasn't lived up to that hype.

Since Sasha Cohen retired the U.S hasn't had a dominate lady. No lady has won a national title twice since Michelle Kwan.

Edited by lovely_m

• Members

Mao Asada KICKED ASS!

Her free skate was phenomenal, and she beat Yu-Na by almost 7 points. Though, I was surprised Yu-Na got an extra point over Mao in the free skate scores. Yu-Na didn't seem to come prepared after her Olympic victory.

Mirai Nagasu, sadly, just had a total breakdown. She's still young though and this was her first Worlds.

Anyway, Mao Asada definitely came prepared. She was both artistic and athletic. No one else came close in the free skate. Glad she won.

Yu-Na's skating just seemed so lifeless after her Olympic win. I wouldn't be surprised if she retires soon, she already has an Olympic Gold, and most Gold Medal Olympic winners usually retire and don't defend their win at the next Olympics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HVek1fevUQ

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I'm also glad Mao won. I much prefer her skating to Yu-Na. Yu-Na's a great skater, but her artistry seems fake to me. But kudos Yu-Na for not backing out of Worlds because of the fear of tarnishing her Olympic Gold. She will always be the Olympic Champion. Did you hear that Tara Lipinski?

I'm sad for Mirai, but this will be a good learning experience for her. She'll make the podium next year for sure. But it's probably better in the long run that she didn't win. Remember Kimmie Meissner won Worlds immediately after the last Olympics and look what happened to her. She couldn't live up to the hype and she faded into oblivion. What's frustrating is that because of the combined placements of Mirai and Rachel, the U.S. will only be able to send two skaters to Worlds next year. If only Mirai kept it together and didn't have a total meltdown.

Edited by Jonathan

• Members

It was on the Universal Sports Channel, I don't know if they carry that channel in your area. It seems pretty obscure for most people in the US.

Daisuke Takahashi of Japan won on the men's side, he won Bronze at the Olympics. Patrick Chen of Canada was in second, and Brian Joubert of France was third.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner