For figure skating fans

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Evan Lysacek may be the most recent Olympian on"Dancing with the Stars," but in a Access Hollywood poll, it was Johnny Weir who the AH Nation really wanted to see in the reality competition. So would he do it?

"Well, I'm honored to win the poll," Johnny told Access Hollywood's of sweeping the "Which Olympian would you most like to see do 'Dancing with the Stars'?" poll with 58 percent of the vote (Shaun White came in second with 16 percent, Evan in third with 10 percent). "And I absolutely would do it.

Despite the training that goes into making figure skaters look graceful on the ice, Johnny said he could use some pointers on some of the sexier ballroom dances.

"I'd love to learn how to foxtrot and cha cha," Johnny said. "Believe it or not, I have terrible dancing skills. I can do everything on the ice, but as soon as you put me on the ground, I'm that person that falls down walking off a curb."

• Members

Johnny Weir is using his heightened celebrity status to get behind a diversified list of charities and causes. “It’s just what I was taught by my parents,” Weir says. “When you’re in a position to help people, you should do it,” he added.

It was announced today that Weir would host 88 for AIDS, a May 6th fundraiser to support AidsWalk New York and Team 119, the mental health clinic at GMHC. The classical piano concert and cocktail reception will be held in a spectacular Tribeca penthouse loft and will feature buff bartenders from modelbartenders.com pouring Ultimat Vodka cocktails. Tickets to the event are available at www.88forAIDS.com

Since the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, the “outspoken and outrageous” Weir has appeared on a plethora of TV talk shows from “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” to “LIVE! With Regis & Kelly,” not to mention starring in his own reality series, “Be Good Johnny Weir,” on the Sundance channel. He is a three time national champion, two time Olympian and is currently in talks with potential sponsors to help produce his own ice spectacular. When asked to comment on his interest and dedication to charitable causes, Weir took a line from his realty show, “When I’m good, I’m very good…”

• Members

Quote from Evan Lysacek about Johnny Weir not being asked to participate in Stars on Ice. "Stars on Ice' is really selective of who they hire and they only hire the best of the best to skate. It would’ve been hard of them to justify hiring him, and I think he was really upset because he wanted the financial benefit of the tour. A lot of us in the skating world were really disappointed in the way he reacted, basically whining that he wasn’t chosen."

Johnny on Wendy Williams, responded by saying that he has never been asked to do Stars on Ice, and it's not a problem for him. Johnny believes that everybody made a big deal out of him not participating because he was the Miss Congeniality of the Olympics. Johnny then called Evan a "slore."

• Members

Think both Johnny and Evan should have a time out, but they have competed against each other since they were teens and they have slammed each other for years - however I think Stars on Ice is wrong not to hire Johnny - for one reason he would bring in more people to buy tickets to see fierce Johnny.

• Members

Weir continued the mudslinging on Thursday when he told People, "I've never whined. I wasn't the one who falls dancing and gets a concussion and breaks toes and has hip replacement surgeries. If anyone whines, it's definitely Evan. He's done that his whole career, and I've never said anything about it just because there was no need."

"I have no respect for Evan Lysacek," added Weir, who is opening the new season for Ice Theatre of New York at Chelsea Piers.

Hoping to call a truce with his colleague, Lysacek issued a statement on Friday, calling Weir "an accomplished and talented skater."

"I let my personal feelings cloud my judgment in how I answered a journalist's question about 'Stars on Ice' and Johnny that I should never have answered," he said. "I should have known better."