Musicals

Chris B

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah no comparison (I think Jane Krakowski played the role in the Antonio Banderas revival)

To be fair they have as much music in this as the same director kept for his film of Chicago--it's just the original version of Nine (since it's a weird concept musical with no real plot lol) is about 3/4s music whereas the movie is under 1/2 if that makes sense (ltos of the songs to be fair really would have been imposible to conceive in cinematic terms and a few of them have been replaced with good sounding new ones by the original composer, Maury Yeston)

• Members

Didn't he do Dreamgirls too, is this Condon we're talking about?

I've seen the bootleg of Krakowski (gosh, I do not like that woman, I don't know why, but she just irritates me) and it was cool how they lowered her from the ceiling in the sheet, but the Anita Morris version was just so much bawdier and sexier, and I can't say enough about that costume, so much more evocative than a cliched teddy and garters.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Thank god apparently Sondheim didn't like it (and isn't a big fan even though Sorkin threw in at least 4 big Sondheim lyric quotes in random episodes I saw of Stuio 60). Sorkin always tries to apply politics to everything and that would completely miss the point of Follies (in fact while Sondheim sia lways about connection, even in his political musicals like Assassins and Pacific Overtures it's never about politics the way Sorkin sees it). If he and Rob marshall manage to stay far away from follies it could be a great movie (at any rate it's an excuse to bring out a bunch of past their prime movie and theatre stars for one last go lol)

<_< at Alphanguy :P<_< We had to learn tap, jazz and ballet when studying musical theatre.

• Members

Even though I studied theatre, and would, I admit, love to have had a class just for musical theatre for some reason that still makes me laugh. (I'm reminded of that youtube clip of Liza on Larry King where this poor, quiet, effeminate sounding guy callsin saying how much he loves her, she thanks him and asks what he studies, and he says musical theatre and she immediately spits out her water and laughs LOL )

• Members

OMG, that is probably the most hilarious Larry King interview I have ever seen, I simply could not flip the channel. And then someone on YouTube edited together all the best parts, again, one of the most hilarious YouTube videos I've ever seen. ("I work with tetarded children."/"No she didn't!") I literally almost got sick from the sound of all that phlegm she was laughin' up. *goes looking for link*

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here's another funny one from the reality show that David Guest was doing for E!. Aren't you sad that it didn't see the light of day? :lol: At any rate, check out her godson's impression and her reaction:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNznIWzJs3A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNznIWzJs3A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNznIWzJs3A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• Members

HAHHA both of those youtube clips are longterm faves of mine. ;)

If you haven't seen the DVD of the great TV special Fosse did for her (and won the Emmy for), Liza with a Z, the commentary track she does on it is the most enjoyable commentary track I've ever heard. It's like she's on the couch watching with you while pounding back the martinis! Her random comments are priceless. Wonderful.

Archived