What if GH (or any soap) asked for a "do over"

• Members

What if you turned on GH one day and Brian Frons was there to make an announcement. He apologizes for the utter failure that GH has been over the last several years and the wrong decisions made and tells us that he there is a great new writer in charge. However the core of the show has been so decimated that they are going to simply reboot things. This is just a one time thing to restore the shows former glory and they will never test fans loyalty like this again. They aren't going to use some hookey plot contrivance like a dream, just simply reboot.

Characters like Alan, Bobbie, Justus, Ned, Georgie, Felicia, Laura, Lucus and Emily (or whomever you think is essential to the show) are simply going to be part of the show again with no explanation given within the show itself and they are going to restart using this new writer's ideas. Is this something you could/would accept or would it be a jump the shark moment? Would you sacrifice the history of the last 5 or so years to follow GH in a better parallel universe?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have to agree. I just started watching the show in August, so I'm not familiar with half of those people cited (I recognize Alan, Bobbie and Laura) and I just became familiar with the current characters. It would be too much for me for the show to change it all of the sudden. I wouldn't watch it.

• Members

I would go for this in a heartbeat. Have Felicia wake up and say she had a horrible dream where gangsters overran the town, and then reboot it back to Anna and Robert not dying. Spend a week catching the audience up on what all the people were up to, and then if you want you can retell the stories you want to reintroduce characters. Nik, Helena, Stefan and Alexis can all come again in a better story, Robin never had HIV because there was never any Stone, Jason is still a Q, no one died, and so on and so forth. This would mean no Sonny and I guess for Carly you could say the story happened but leave the details vague. She would still be Bobbie's daughter, but Tony would be alive. Now also you could have Sean and Tiffany back as well because they never left town. Jax would probably have to be reintroduced as an evil businessman.

Anything that brings back Tiffany is acceptable.

• Members

I'll pass. After at least 10 years of telling me they don't care about me as a viewer, to all of a sudden try to erase the gutting they did of this show to win back what, viewers they haven't given a crap about over the past so many years? I'll pass. Too little too late. I don't care about the show anywhere near how I used to and as a viewer I really could care less if it was cancelled tomorrow and off the air. I'd feel for the staff that was out of work as a result and I don't mean the overpaid highpriced writers and actors, I mean the folks behind the scenes who make things work. I let AMC go which was my show for years and I am about at the same place with GH as I was then. Nothing GH or even AMC would do would make me remotely interested in returning as a viewer including throwing Genie Francis and Jonathan Jackson back on canvas or bringing back Julia Barr back to AMC.

This show has had a terrible time the past few years especially trying to intro new females to the canvas to the point where they tried bringing back popular female actors as new characters only to flop. What they still don't get is history and depth to a character means something. I cared about Georgie Jones and who she was because she was F & F's daughter, I cares about Emily Q because she was a Quartermaine. I cared about Felicia and Monica and Alan. Alan as Jason's father should have been a tentpole character on this show. The show didn't and still doesn't and deserves everything they get as a result.I no longer have any interest in seeing any of these characters brought back or highlighted simply as some ploy to get me back as a viewer because they'd only be gutted again. I'll pass.

• Members

No, I didn't see those. It was inspired by how god awful GH is and how they have killed off a ton of important characters (and arguably a core family) in the last several years. I understand that it won't happen because TIIC don't think their is a problem nor any need for a do over. I just wondered if a soap asked for one what the audience reaction would be, assuming people who know how to do soap ever managed to get in power again. I could have easily picked Y&R, but Y&R doesn't really need it as badly. It wouldn't take such an extreme measure to right that ship, imo.

• Members

I wouldn't mind if they did this, but I would rather they just do what DAYS did and say most of the people they killed are really alive. They already brought Diego back from the dead once, why not do the same for others.

Then write out all the trash, and focus on the people who should have never gone.

• Members

When they brought back all of those people back from the dead on Days, I tuned out. I felt like I'd been played for a fool. Eventually, I tuned back in after about six months but I thought, why did the show put me through all of this for them all to end up alive on an island? I didn't like the storyline anyway, but I watched it and accepted those people as dead and was willing to move on. But when they showed up alive, that's when the show for me started to go south.

• Members

The main difference is that was an end to a serial killer story. Of course some people were going to be annoyed that it ended with no real deaths. This would be an end to 5 or 6 years of pointless character death, scattered through lousy, empty story after lousy, empty story.

Would a lot of people tune out if the show brought AJ, Georgie, Justus, etc. back from the dead? I'm not sure if they would. It's not like the show has vastly improved with their absence. Their desperate flailing around of the past few years says it all.

Archived