What if GH (or any soap) asked for a "do over"

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When Dallas brought Bobby back via the dream I thought that was lazy and ruined the integrity of the series. It also messed things up since Knots Landing played a big part in that story as well. Their biggest story, Val's stolen babies, ended with her naming one of her twins after Bobby Ewing when he died. By retconning all that, it meant Knots Landing had to sever ties with Dallas which hurt both series, IMO. Bobby regularly made guest appearances and of course Gary and Val's daughter Lucy was on Dallas. Quality wise Dallas did improve. I actually think for the most part it stayed good until the end, despite numerous cast exits.

Based on my opinions of Dallas' dream it's probably obvious I'm against the do-over. A good writer will be able to take what they have and make it work. To simply tell us to forget everything we saw says you don't value our viewership. Why should i keep watching if everything I watch didn't count? I don't want to watch your bloody rehearsals. You're being paid millions so get it together. Claire Labine was regularly fired at Ryan's Hope and everything she returned the show was instantly back to where she needed it to be. Some stories that were terrible, like giving Johnny Ryan a long lost son, ended up being great with her at the helm. She didn't write the character off or ignore him. She figured it was over and done with, so let's make it work. And she did.

If GH brought someone like Claire Labine back I do think she could save it. Based on her work at Ryan's Hope she knows how to refocus a series and we already know how well she fit at GH. Now I know it'll never happen, but she'd be the woman for the job. I can see her crafting more interesting stories for the mob, real human stories, injecting humor into the show and making the hospital more important to the series.

Archived