Y&R: Casting Spoiler

• Members

William Russ was seen on the set of Y&R. Ilene Kristen said on Brandon's Buzz that he'd been cast on Y&R.

He's going to be Tucker.

http://daytimeconfidential.com/2009/10/19/confirmed-ilene-kristen-confirms-william-russ-to-yr-with-brandons-buzz

I'm really not confident in these people to know what to do with any new character, but I wanted to point out that he's quite a good actor with a long-running career, from soaps (he was Gil McGowan's son on AW, who was married to Clarice), to classic dramas like Wiseguy (he was Roger Lococo, Vinnie's rival turned close friend and protector). He's not just the dad from Boy Meets World, although that's probably what he's best known for.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Victor's substitute? If that's their intention, this is going to be a massive fail.

People are speculating that this could be Katherine's long lost child, and that she didn't really have a daughter. Not that I actually want to see that story executed by this horrific writing regime. Also, not like Y&R needs stories like that right now.

And yeah, Y&R definitely does not need to be adding more to their already bloated cast, especially when they refuse to trim it and refuse to write for nearly half of the cast.

• Members

You're right. If he's brought in as a Victor substitute it's not going to work. The show needs to (if EB leaves) move on from Victor, not substitute.

By the way, if you can see Wiseguy (I think the first season is on DVD), please do. That show used arc storytelling to perfection, especially early on. The Profitt arc has so many twists and turns and has some harrowing, brilliant stuff.

Kevin Spacey and Joan Severance both got a break from their work in the story, as the very, very close siblings Mel and Susan.

However, the heart of the storyline was Roger, who at first appeared to be a bitter thug for hire, not a lot more, but soon, as he befriended Vinnie (the main character), we got to see so many layers. There were some amazing showcase episodes. My favorites were when he and Vinnie were in a trailer in West Virginia and you got to see the first real psychological break in Roger as Vinnie made him realize that you could be a decent person if you wanted to be, and an episode later on where Roger hunts down the man who tried to kill Vinnie. Another episode that stands out involves a long, tortured monologue about his servant, Preet, and exactly where he met her. And the last scene in the arc is one of my favorite TV scenes ever.

None of this is going to really be on display on Y&R, so I'm not saying you'll care about Tucker, but I hope you watch the show just for the sake of seeing it. Some of the best drama ever on television, and Roger was a fantastic TV character.

• Members

What an awful recast and lets face it, this is a straight up no balls recast. Instead of directly trying to replace him (which will infuriate viewers), they need to look at others in the case who can fill his slot in a fresh new way. I say Jill. It makes sense, but it'll never happen.

• Members

Maybe if Nikki doesn't get fired she'll get him. Jill won't ever get a love interest or a storyline that shows her in a favorable light. And honestly, I don't see why she shouldn't fill the Victor mold. I felt like for years Victor, Jill and Jack were the three titans driving those business storylines. She could certainly fill the bill and hasn't been used in that capacity for so long. The short bits we got from that Jabot takeover were golden. Let Jill keep her edge, let us see her perspective, give her a love interest and a take to. Make the most of what you have! I'm sure she's miles cheaper than MTS or EB. If they can position her in a central position it would help when these contract negotiations come up.

As it stands you have Victor leaving and characters like Jill, Nikki and Jack are merely supporting so they're losing their impact. I know Jack and now Nikki get a lot of screentime, but they're mainly talk-to's.

• Members

Chris, I guess the problem for me is that I have detested Victor since this group started at Y&R, so I'm wary of Jill being made into Victor. Of course that's also why I'm wary of this Tucker, if they think that misogyny or being a cold, malicious jerk is the way to write a tough character.

I do think they could position Jill as the lead character, given her deep ties to the canvas and Jess's wonderful talent, but since she's a woman, that isn't likely.

Since they won't ever make her a leading figure, I was hoping they might at least put her and this guy together and see what happens. I think that would stave off some of the backlash from those who believe he's a Victor replacement, because Victor and Jill were only involved briefly.

• Members

When I mean make her into Victor, I don't mean it literally. Of course with these terrible writers that's what they'd do. But I do think she could fill the void that this type of character will leave. I've always enjoyed Victor and I have to hope Braeden returns. The Newman family can't survive without Heather Tom and Eric Braeden and she's definitely not returning. I hope they cancel those plans to recast Victoria because no matter how good, that's the last thing this family needs as well.

• Members

I think Victor has been increasingly cut off as a character and that with the poor development of the Newman kids (which I never would have predicted 10 years ago), he's sort of suffocated a lot of the canvas. I think EB and his own unique charisma is probably all that has held the seams together.

I'd love to see Jill take his place, of course, and I'd love to see more of her in her own right, not just the relationship with Katherine, or with her kids. I'd like to see more of her Foster side too, the roots that made her what she is.

I think Jill could fill the strong, complex mogul voice, but since that won't happen, I am just hoping that they won't make viewers hate this Tucker, that they will know what to do with William Russ, and that they will pair him with Jill. I don't know how Russ will come across on this show, he hasn't been on a soap in 30 years and the show is a mess, but I think he and Jill could be good together.

• Members

Wait...that's Corey's dad from Boy Meets World, right? He's gonna be playing a mustache twirling villain?! *GROANS* Way to go Maria. Way to f*cking go. <_<

YEP! This is what should have happened. But of course, they want to lowball Jess and try to replace her with some washed up primetime star. So typical of this regime. :mad:

• Members

Yeah, it's funny, I can see Branco and others in that vein going on and on about MM and how Russ is unworthy, since MM replaced someone we were supposed to hate (Engen), while Russ is replacing Braeden.

Another Wiseguy fan. I knew you had good taste! I was shocked at this news, but I hope at the very least this might spur more interest in that show.

He's played much darker roles than Corey's dad. I think he can handle the role, if the writing is there. Sadly, that is not exactly something to count on.

Archived