Your favorite companies in daytime

• Members

Every soap has companies, some small, some large. You could miss the days of the Cluck Cluck Shack, or Los Tres Amigos.

My all time favorite was Cory Publishing on AW. They forgot about it in the last 5-6 years of the show, but that place was a hotbed of hostile takeovers, conspiracies, betrayals, breakdowns, and even rape and murder attempts, for many years. Where else would you have someone use a manuscript to learn how to slowly poison their husband? Where else would an estranged daughter pose as a hostile company, feign a takeover attempt, and then swoop back in at the last minute to "save" their beloved Daddy?

The Iris/Mac fallout is probably one of my favorite soap stories ever, even if it was left unresolved :(

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Most soap companies are vague entities,so it is difficult to engage much in the various goings on.

Jabot Cosmetics on Y&R had some semblance of reality,as we saw people working on specific products etc.I hated it when they began to paint it as some competitor to international companies ,rather than a boutique product line.

Al those others like Spaulding Enterprises and Newman Industries are less interesting because it is never specified as to what they are involved in.

I would prefer if they were more specific and wrote stories to match.

• Members

I liked Walsh too. The corporate intrigue was almost always exciting, fun, lively, and at times, like when Lucinda lost Walsh, heartbreaking. I never know why the soaps now like to claim that business stories are boring, or viewers are too stupid to understand them.

• Members

I loved Walsh too.

I also loved the Spaulding/Lewis business wars on GL in the early 90's.

Newman and Jabot were virtually characters onto themselves for such a long time on Y&R, it's too bad this current and horrendous regime regime can't tell business stories and doesn't know what to do with these companies.

• Members

What are the Cluck Cluck Shack and Los Tres Amigos?

I don't think I have a favorite soap company ... I agree they all seem to be too unrealistic and vague. I started watching AW after Cory Publishing was basically no longer featured so I never got to see what you're talking about, CarlD2.

• Members

LTA was the company Ross, Amanda, and Josh founded on GL in the early 80s. Cluck Cluck Shack was a fried chicken business Palmer Cortlandt founded when he lost his fortune (James Mitchell HATED that storyline).

Cory Publishing was a great place. I think some of the episodes featuring stories from 88-89, the time of Iris and the hostile takeover/saving Cory, are on Youtube. Or I hope they are at least.

• Members

LOL, I'm sad to hear that JM hated the Cluck Cluck Chicken Shack because that was the FIRST company that came to mind, that and Erica Kane's Enchantment. Honestly, it was never the companies themselves as much as it was the characters behind them. And honestly, I don't remember what a lot of the companies specialized in exactly.

Palmer had Cortlandt Electronics before Cluck Cluck, and I guess that had something to do with computers. As far as personal taste, I guess I'd be most interested in Sydney and Jared Chase's media empire in The City, or L&B, Lois and Brenda's record company on GH. But I also have fond memories of Brooke English at Tempo magazine, and Viki and company at The Banner. Remember Melador??

• Members

Blair has had so many companies, all of which vanish, I can't keep track. Melador was one of hers, wasn't it?

It's sad that we used to see Viki at the Banner for years, I almost took it for granted. Then the set just disappeared.

Enchantment was always good for drama and camp. So was Deception on GH. The modern attempts at that, like Fusion, or Crimson, ugh.

• Members

Yes, Melador (Melinda, Addie, Doriam) was Blair's brainchild. I can't remember if it was Cord or Todd she was firt musing about it to, she didn't know what it would be, maybe they'd sell clothes, jewels, or furs, she just wanted to honor the Cramer women in some way. IIRC, it ended up being a cosmetics co., like Bath and Body Works, lotions and whatnot.

• Members

Restless Style. Could have been brilliant but the writers have no clue about the magazine industry. It could have been done like Ugly Betty which uses Mode as a host location for verious shenannegans with celebrity pop ins. Instead the writers have botched it and made it into a phone book sized release of Genoa City's Page 6.

Forrester and Spectra were great, it really represented the true spirit of a Bell soap, the intermingling of the Elite and the Middle Class.

• Members

I wasn't around to watch when LTA was in the stories on GL, but with characters like Ross, Josh, and Amanda behind the company automatically adds it to my list of favs lol.

I loved Spaulding Enterprises when it was helmed by Alex in the early 90s. I've always loved Lewis Oil and the drama that always went with it.

• Members

AMC- As a huge Brooke & Edmund fan I always loved Tempo Magazine. Also, while not really a company, I loved how Lorraine Brdoderick used WRCW in the mid 90s enhance her stories.

I will also add that my least favorite AMC company (other than Fusion, which goes without saying) was Ryan's yacht-based IncredibleDreams.com venture.

Archived