And so it begins. The death of Y&R

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Scotty, you have a great point, here. Y&R doesn't always air at 12:30. I watch on KCTV-5 in Kansas City (Previously KCMO-TV) and Y&R has aired at 11 AM since DAY ONE, and hasn't budged. In my region, at least.... it seems Y&R is most popular at 11 AM. Mark, this may shock you, but almost EVERY CBS affiliate here in Missouri airs Y&R at 11AM. Here is the rundown of airtimes of Y&R on all CBS affiliates in Missouri:

KCTV Kansas City- 11 AM

KOAM Pittsburgh Ks/Joplin, MO - 11 AM

KOLR Springfield - 11:30 AM

KMOV St. Louis - 4 PM

KRCG Columbia/Jefferson City - 11 AM

KSFV Cape Girardeau - 11 AM

KHQA Hannibal/Quincy - 11 AM

• Members

Yep. Y&R is a clusterfuck right now and the problems it has are both wide-ranging and deep-seated (go ahead and sing your "I told you so's"). Given that it is the industry leader, I think it is bringing down ALL soaps, not just those in its line-up. I think lots of people watched Y&R plus one or two soaps of their choice -- or half-an-hour of Y&R and then another soap. If Y&R can no longer lead them in, what does that mean for Days? AMC? B&B?

Timeslot-wise, I've said it before... so I'll say it again! ALL soaps should be shown between 4pm-7.59pm. This is a no-brainer. Soaps are thriving in Latin America, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Canada... why? Because they show their serial dramas in the late afternoon/early evening (which would be entirely workable here in the States while freeing up a half-hour for local newscasts and another half-hour for some Katie Couric yakking).

• Members

i agree, but it wont happen here. the local stations are not going to give up the 4, 5, 6 oclock news. And the networks cant/wont force them too. Perhaps NBC could do it, because all they have is days...

3p: Ellen

4p: Days

5p: Local News

6p: Evening News

7P: Ent Shows

is the only way it could be done unless they aired days at 5p and the local news was cut to half an hour before the evening news. but a network with many soaps?

• Members

Local news with a full hour-and-a-half to kill? Both local and evening should go to half-hour. People who want their news fix immediately just go to CNN/Fox/MSNBC anyway.

Still, I get that the judge shows (Judge Judy = MY IDOL), Entertainment Tonights and Jeopardys are sacrosanct and, more importantly, ratings winners. I have compiled some possible schedules (below) but in order to include ET, Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune, soaps would prob need to go half-hour.

A possible schedule (with soaps running at their current length) could look like this:

CBS affiliate (I'm taking WCBS as my model):

3pm: Dr Phil

4pm Judge Judy

4.30pm: B&B

5pm: ATWT

6pm: local news

6.30pm: CBS News

7pm: Y&R

ABC affiliate:

3pm: Oprah

4pm AMC

5pm OLTL